Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 3:00:59 PM EDT
Im currently looking at other employment opportunitys, and i was looking into working as an armored car driver/guard. Has anyone here worked, or is working in this field? It also seems like the only way to get a MD CCW...but thats another issue. Right now i work for a food distribution company, so im used to moving heavy objects. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a member here who has done this kind of work in the past. A few months ago he made several very long and detailed posts in a thread just like this one. I can't remember his name so here's a bump in hopes that someone will remember him or have the thread.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I applied to one and didn't get hired.  No experience driving heavy trucks other than a fire truck (thats not heavy?)  they don't care anything about firearm's experience,  I was told that.  Insurance is apparently more worried about driving skills, experience, and your record, than anything else.  And after all.  Wouldn't they rather have guards that can't shoot to stop someone from taking their money than drivers that can keep from having wrecks so they don't get sued?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I applied to one and didn't get hired.  No experience driving heavy trucks other than a fire truck (thats not heavy?) ?

Firetrucks are Exempt from needing a CDL to operate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There was a member here who has done this kind of work in the past. A few months ago he made several very long and detailed posts in a thread just like this one. I can't remember his name so here's a bump in hopes that someone will remember him or have the thread.

Yeah he's posted about it several times, human target+low wages+not all the cars are really armored=food distribution sounds good to me.

'Zactly.

He made it sound like a less than desireable gig.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I applied to one and didn't get hired.  No experience driving heavy trucks other than a fire truck (thats not heavy?) ?

So are the armored cars.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
watch the first 10 minutes of Heat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
double tap
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I've heard, I don't recall that job paying very well.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I did it for several years. Started on week-ends then moved my way up to shift supervisor.

I worked in the North-East. All the trucks were armored. Pay was low when you thought about what you were doing, but it was a good job if you knew you would not be there forever.

What do you want to know exactly? I will explain everything I can.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

Most companies work about 50-60 hrs a week with NO overtime paid. Drivers buy their own guns & body armor on less than stellar pay. Not exactly a good career move, IMO. Most guys I know who do this are either Forrest Gump types or retired military who supplement their pay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Most companies work about 50-60 hrs a week with NO overtime paid. Drivers buy their own guns & body armor on less than stellar pay. Not exactly a good career move, IMO. Most guys I know who do this are either Forrest Gump types or retired military who supplement their pay.

Where I worked there was a payroll deduction and loan program so people could buy guns and body armor. They also had S&W .38 revolvers that they would loan out to new employees.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
You can do better.

Can you touch type?  Look for a secretarial/transcribing job at a local hospital.  WAY the fuck better pay...

There's more to life than firearms.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I filled in a couple shifts as an armored car driver when I was working as an investigator for a security/ armored car company, and it SUCKED!  There was constant pressure to make the run on time/get the money to the bank on time.  It was a recipe for an accident, plus hard work for little pay.  Also, in MN, we could only carry on duty, so research your state's CCW laws.  Speaking of which, the firearms training was minimal to the point of being almost nonexistant.  I would rather be a document courier/messenger.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I did armored car runs in college for a year.  It was a local company and privately owned by one guy,  I.E. it was pretty loose and easy.  I had more fun that year than pretty much any other job I've had.  We did armored car runs during the day and we were security guards on "the cruise" every Friday and Saturday night.  It was a blast.

That being said, I probably wouldn't do it as a career,  most of the other guys I talked to were treated pretty poorly and wages weren't stellar. It was more than minimum at the time but not a lot more.

We had some fun in that truck I'll tell you,  once we were going to a bank about an hour away and were on the freeway blastin' some AC/DC Balls to the Wall when this little motorcycle pulls up beside us and starts pacing us for a while.  After a minute or two this dumbass on the back pulls what looks like a potato out of his jacket and points it at the truck and starts making "pulling the trigger" motions.  I was drivin' and was about to mash the brake and swing in behind him just cause he was pissing me off when the other guy grabs the shotgun and sticks it out through the armor port in his door right at the driver.

Well the driver catches the motion and looks over and I eased the truck over closer to them so  he's looking down the barrel of a 12 Gauge (unloaded).  Even through his helmet you could see the whites of his eyes.  I would bet you twenty bucks he pissed himself.

He took off as fast as his 250CC's could haul him and his buddy.  I was laughing so hard I had to pull over.  

Ahaaa,  good times, good times......
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked as a security guard for Brinks, while I was a college student in Ottawa, Ontario during the mid '70's. It was a great job for a student-very flexible hours (they almost always needed someone at some hour of the day or night), pay was ok, and I met a lot of bank tellers. It was considered extremely safe in Ottawa, until one of our crews had a guard murdered. Mo Prudhomme was a great guy and a young father who was killed by a shotgun blast, for no reason at all. Like most guards, he would have gladly handed over the dough if he had been asked.

There was also an incident in 1976 when there was a big robbery in Montreal. The Brinks truck driver was reading his morning paper, while parked in the rear of a bank. A delivery van pulled up in front of the truck (while the crew was downstairs getting the morning delivery of deposits), and when the driver heard a rap on the window, he was instructed to look ahead at the van. When he did, he saw the doors open and a .50 cal. machine gun mounted in the van , pointed at him.  Being a military veteran, he realized what that .50 could do to an armored truck, so complied with the request to get out and wait for the rest of the crew. When they returned, the robbery took place. AFAIK, the money has never been returned (somewhere around $15 million, I believe).

Aside from these stories, however the job was pretty routine. It's one I'd recommend primarily to someone who is younger and has no problems with their back, as you can virtually lift tons of coins in a single day on some trucks (at least that's one of my strongest memories).
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
And then there was the movie:

The Brinks Job

Funny movie.

I read about the heist when I was reading old Life magazines in a Public Library.  A few years later this movie comes out.

Go get it.  Rent it or buy it.  I found it a decent comedy/drama.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I work with a couple of guys who used to moonlight for Brinks.

One mysteriously stopped working there after a reported ND inside an armored car occured. So your partner just may be a Barney Fife.

The other quit after "they" started shooting at the armored cars and guards in Oakland during attempted robberies. Can't blame him one bit.

Not worth it around these parts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Nevermind.

I thought you wanted to know how to pull off an armored car job. Nothing to see here. Move along folks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL and how much does 1500 gallons of water weigh again?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL and how much does 1500 gallons of water weigh again?

I know, but in this state, he's sort of right. Need a Class B with tank cert/air brake cert/ and some other crap I can't remember right now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I was paid $13 to be shift supervisor. We did not need any special license to driver our trucks, except one, he needed a class B to drive the "Big" truck to the Federal Reserve back and forth every day.

We had a lot of retired & semi retired guys from the military, corrections and local sherriffs department  who would work full and part time.

We also had teachers, office types and some guys who were in school to get their criminal justice degree.

There were a few guys whow were just duds with clean records. Very few women worked in the trucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There's more to life than firearms.

Not really.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Put in many times, no respose, need to be able to obtain GA ccw permit which I have, but I never get calls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top