Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 2:29:49 PM EDT
So I get another phone call from some firm "working on behalf of the US Government"

Are you Joe Wang born in 1969?

ME: I don't give out personal information over the phone.

I have your information in front of me. Does your social security number end in 3999?

ME: I don't give out personal information over the phone. [Their info is incorrect]

You need to pay your student loans.

ME: I paid cash lady. [Not true. I paid cash undergrad, Uncle Sam paid for grad school gratis]

We're going  to garnish your wages.

ME [Laughing]: Go ahead lady, garnish my wages.

OK, we will.

LOL. Bring it on, bitch. I'll have a lawyer rammed so far up their ass so fast they won't be able to walk straight for a week.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do they think they need to garnish your wages?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds like a total scam.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as they have the wrong SSN, their fugged.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Bullshit meter just went off scale high on this one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why do they think they need to garnish your wages?  

Some student loan that Joe Wang born in 1969 with a soc security number ending 3999 didn't pay, I'm guessing. My name isn't very unique.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had this situation a couple of times before. Some good, some bad.

One asshat with the same name defaulted on his student loans and I went through a ton of shit with collection agencies over the phone. Finally sorted it out but it took a while.

Another guy with the same name had his investment info and statements (including SS#) sent to my address. The guy was doing really well! But I corrected the error.

Damn ethics!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
If there federal loans they dont have to garnish your wages. They just keep your tax check until their happy!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I would have had to mess with them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Scam. You should have reeled them in for info and reported it to the po-po for attempted fraud. I don't know about where you work, but most garnishing of wages take place through your human resources department to get access to the payroll.

Smells of Nigerians in action.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]

This is no joke. If some kind of payment isn't made,we're going to have to contact the paper and garnish your wages.

name it
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think I would have had to mess with them.

I was thinking I should've baited them for the full DOB and SSN. I could use a second identity.

I'm thinking too slow after two glasses of pinot noir and a belly full of dinner. If they had called me at 8 a.m. I would've been all over that call.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is no joke. If some kind of payment isn't made,we're going to have to contact the paper and garnish your wages.

name it

Clerks? Blues Brothers?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think the government goes after you in that form. I agree that it sounds like a scam especially if they have your SS wrong. Lots of this taking place these days.

If it is for real then you need to play some hardball by making sure that there is a properly adjudicated order from a court of competent jurisdiction and make sure your company knows that there has been no such proceeding.

www.restoretherepublic.org
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]

I like my wages with a sprig of parsley and a slice of lemon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They can't garnish your wages without suing you and obtaining a judgment against you. That's just some debt collector blowing smoke up your ass.

That depends on who "they" is.  If it's the IRS or a State Revenue entity they can just do it but from what Joe posted I doubt this is the case.  

Sounds like a SkipTracer working for a 3rd party collections agency contracted to collect on student loans found this Joe Wang while looking for another thus the wrong SS#.  

A SkipTracers job is to track down debters who have Skipped on loans by calling the homes of people that live Nearby the last know address of the debtor, calling people with the same last name near the debtors last know address or contacting people with the same or similar name.

The more common your first and last name is the more likely you are to be contacted by one of these people.

A simple "No" when you were asked to confirm/deny the last four digits of the SS# 3999 would probably have worked much better.   The responses you gave have more likely than not raised their suspicion.  Now you are on a list at the Collections Agency, they will now try to mine all the data they can based on your name and address to verify whether or not you are indeed the Deadbeat Joe Wang they are looking for.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Fletch.

G
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They can't garnish your wages without suing you and obtaining a judgment against you. That's just some debt collector blowing smoke up your ass.

That depends on who "they" is.  If it's the IRS or a State Revenue entity they can just do it but from what Joe posted I doubt this is the case.  

Sounds like a SkipTracer working for a 3rd party collections agency contracted to collect on student loans found this Joe Wang while looking for another thus the wrong SS#.  

A SkipTracers job is to track down debters who have Skipped on loans by calling the homes of people that live Nearby the last know address of the debtor, calling people with the same last name near the debtors last know address or contacting people with the same or similar name.

The more common your first and last name is the more likely you are to be contacted by one of these people.

A simple "No" when you were asked to confirm/deny the last four digits of the SS# 3999 would probably have worked much better.   The responses you gave have more likely than not raised their suspicion.  Now you are on a list at the Collections Agency, they will now try to mine all the data they can based on your name and address to verify whether or not you are indeed the Deadbeat Joe Wang they are looking for.

Wow........... Good info.............tell us more  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Fletch.

G

bingo
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like my wages with a sprig of parsley and a slice of lemon.

+1

Tell them the only thing they can garnish is your fuckin dinner plate, bitch!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A simple "No" when you were asked to confirm/deny the last four digits of the SS# 3999 would probably have worked much better.   Now you are on a list at the Collections Agency, they will now try to mine all the data they can based on your name and address to verify whether or not you are indeed the Deadbeat Joe Wang they are looking for.

Good luck to them. Thanks to the grace of God other than my primary mortgage I have no debts.

The government cannot force you to sign papers or answer questions, nor do I find any moral or ethical compunction to do so. I pay the smallest amount of taxes I legally can. The government can go fuck themselves after that.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Eh, I'd just tell them to fuck off and hang up every time they call.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Next time tell them, "No, that's not my SS#.  Mine is 078-05-1120!"

Made it obvious for ya.

www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp]www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Made it obvious for ya.

www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp]www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp]www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp

You now ruined the joke.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What if I didn't want to be that obvious?  

Dunno took me 4 tries to get the board code to work. You'd think working in IT for the last 10 years I'd get it the first time.

I'm one slow training monkey, for sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Made it obvious for ya.

www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp]www.snopes.com/business/taxes/woolworth.asp

Made it work for ya.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A simple "No" when you were asked to confirm/deny the last four digits of the SS# 3999 would probably have worked much better.   Now you are on a list at the Collections Agency, they will now try to mine all the data they can based on your name and address to verify whether or not you are indeed the Deadbeat Joe Wang they are looking for.

Good luck to them. Thanks to the grace of God other than my primary mortgage I have no debts.

The government cannot force you to sign papers or answer questions, nor do I find any moral or ethical compunction to do so. I pay the smallest amount of taxes I legally can. The government can go fuck themselves after that.

Oh I agree but like I said I doubt you were contacted by a .gov employee.  It was more likely an employee of a 3rd party collection agency contracted by the .gov to collect on bad edu loans.

I'm just saying that if you were not born in 1969 it would have saved you and them a lot of problems if you said "no" instead of "I don't give out personal information over the phone."  The question was not "What year were you born?"  the question was " Are you Joe Wang born in 1969?".  If you were not born in 1969 a no answer would no constitute a revelation of personal information.

Then when they asked if the last four digits of your SS# are 3999 you could have answered no in stead of "I don't give out personal information over the phone."   A "no" would have sufficed.  As in "no the last four digits of my SS# are not 3999."  If the last four digits of your SS# are not 3999 then it's not personal information is it?  The last four digits of you SS# are not a lot of things.

Potentialy the last four digits of your SS# could be any of a number of variants of 0000 to 9999.   Telling the that the last four digits of your SS# is not 3999 is not a threat.

They didn't ask you to tell them the last four digits of your SS# they just asked you to confirm or deny whether the last four digits were 3999.  No is not revealing personal information.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Oh I agree but like I said I doubt you were contacted by a .gov employee.  It was more likely an employee of a 3rd party collection agency contracted by the .gov to collect on bad edu loans.

I'm just saying that if you were not born in 1969 it would have saved you and them a lot of problems if you said "no" instead of "I don't give out personal information over the phone."  The question was not "What year were you born?"  the question was " Are you Joe Wang born in 1969?".  If you were not born in 1969 a no answer would no constitute a revelation of personal information.

Then when they asked if the last four digits of your SS# are 3999 you could have answered no in stead of "I don't give out personal information over the phone."   A "no" would have sufficed.  As in "no the last four digits of my SS# are not 3999."  If the last four digits of your SS# are not 3999 then it's not personal information is it?  The last four digits of you SS# are not a lot of things.

Potentialy the last four digits of your SS# could be any of a number of variants of 0000 to 9999.   Telling the that the last four digits of your SS# is not 3999 is not a threat.

They didn't ask you to tell them the last four digits of your SS# they just asked you to confirm or deny whether the last four digits were 3999.  No is not revealing personal information.

There you go, trying to make sense again, when your supposed to feel outrage that someone would do their job and this guy DESERVED to be a prick to them.  Shame on you.  You obviously don't belong on AR15.com

Chris
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I believe,  ( a friend has this problem) that a FEDERAL student loan in Default can be collected without
any lawyer or court formalities ( although you could TRY to fight it with your own lawyer)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife has been getting calls from an asshat like this for the past two weeks.

My response is to tell them to go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My wife has been getting calls from an asshat like this for the past two weeks.

My response is to tell them to go fuck themselves.

You do realize, of course, that if you tell a collection agent to stop calling then they have to stop calling, don't you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can color me this way: [y]our government can suck my ass. I really don't care about the subtleties. If you answer unsolicited info on the phone you're an ass too.

Is that straightforward enough?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There you go, trying to make sense again, when your supposed to feel outrage that someone would do their job and this guy DESERVED to be a prick to them.  Shame on you.  You obviously don't belong on AR15.com

Chris

Feel how you like. Free country. Used to be, anyway. Internet talk is cheap. When the show up at my doorway is when the chaff gets separated from the wheat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can color me this way: [y]our government can suck my ass. I really don't care about the subtleties. If you answer unsolicited info on the phone you're an ass too.

That was kinda my point sparkie.  "No I was not born in 1969" or "no the last 4 digits of my SS# are not 3999" does not constitute giving out unsolicited info on the phone.

Also in all likelyhood it was not a government employee that you were talking too.

Just wondering, do you live in a shack in rural Montanna that is lined with tin foil?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Do yourself a favor...

Call the United States Attorney's office.  The Blue pages under US Government.

They DO actively go after student loans.  The civil division of that office should be able to tell you if they have a case.  TRUST ME... you want to figure out a way to work with them if you in fact owe student loans.  If they have you confused with someone with the same name as you... you want to clear that up too!

Student loans are just that... loans.  If you ignore, and this is in fact you they are looking for,  this you will get a visit from a Deputy U.S. Marshal to be served with court papers... and your federal tax refunds will be seized until the debt is gone... along with garnishments.

NO SHIT!

Check it ou before you are out money to some attorney AND garnished!

A word to the wise...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe,  ( a friend has this problem) that a FEDERAL student loan in Default can be collected without
any lawyer or court formalities ( although you could TRY to fight it with your own lawyer)

Of course, any debt can be collected without a court order. Garnishment of wages, however, is a specific kind of collection. Certainly, no one can doubt the power of the Federal government to seize any income tax revenue due to a debtor in default on a debt to the Federal government.

I would, however, like to see some authority for the proposition that wages could be garnished in an involuntary manner without order of court. Many employers locally won't even honor a voluntary wage assignment and will refuse to withhold income short of a court order whether it be small claims, alimony, child support, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was kinda my point sparkie.  "No I was not born in 1969" or "no the last 4 digits of my SS# are not 3999" does not constitute giving out unsolicited info on the phone.

Also in all likelyhood it was not a government employee that you were talking too.

Just wondering, do you live in a shack in rural Montanna that is lined with tin foil?

Oh and BTW sparkie it's not "my government" it's the government if you live in the US.

Apparently it's the same government that wasted a lot of money, paying for your education.

"Uncle Sam paid for grad school gratis"

What kind of degree did you get on the governments dime?  It's a sad state of affairs when someone can claim to have a higher education and still be this .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top