Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 1:50:21 PM EDT
In a previous post by another ARFCOM member, a site was listed (DO NOT LINK) http://buyblue.org (DO NOT LINK) that urges consumers make their purchases at business entities which support the majority of Democratic candidates.  This in turn supports the business and allows the business to make continued financial contributions to the Democratic candidates, thus furthering their agenda(s).  Only a small amount of 'token' contributions have been made to Republican candidates.

We all know where the majority of Democrats stand on 2nd Amendment issues.

Does this (or will this) have any impact on your future purchases knowing where the net profits of the entity generally fund democratic party candidates and ideals?

Does it matter to you about the political ramifications (ie: contributions) of a purchase if you have a choice in one store vs another?

Or, you don't care about this either way since the store has it and you want it?

~m38a1

ETA:
So far (08/10/2005) the list includes the following organizations.  First is the Name of the organization followed by the percentage of their total political contributions to the Democratic candidates and finally if verified by the site or not.

Academy Sporting Goods - 93%  (verified)
Arby's (TRIARC Company Ltd) - 59% (verified)
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - (unverified)
Costco, 99% (verified)
Heinz products (duh...)
Leathermans (unverified due to lack of information)
Levi Strauss & Company, 100% (verified)
Sonic Drive-Ins - 100% (verified)
Starbucks - 100% (verified)

Mis-information:
Proctor-Gamble actually gave 77% to REPUBLICANS
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

We all know where the majority of Democrats stand on 2nd Amendment issues.

Does this (or will this) have any impact on your future purchases knowing where the net profits of the entity generally fund democratic party candidates and ideals?

Does it matter to you about the political ramifications (ie: contributions) of a purchase if you have a choice in one store vs another?...

Start a thread about Leatherman Tools and see what the response here is...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything I buy out of my home state supports MY ideology by screwing the idiots up in Excremento.  It gives them less sales tax revenue to waste.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
OK-
I just read all the Leatherman Tools threads where that thread was about a specific product.  My questions center around an entire business entity, such as a sporting goods store, a grocery store, a clothing store etc.  The places you visit regularly.

So, we've determined at a product level what we do or don't support.  How about at the store level?

ETA:
Spelling.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I avoid sending any money to Massachusetts, NY, and certain areas of Kalifornia, Illinois and some others that escape me at the moment. If a state or area is dark blue, I want as little of my resources as possible supporting them*

*not that they have jack shit that I am interested in purchasing anyway...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely.

I won't spend my money on Leatherman's, or at Costco, Arbie's, Sonic's, Starbucks (even if there was one nearby) and I'll never, ever buy a pair of Levi jeans.  Don't fucking mention Ben & Jerkoff's ice cream!

Walmart gets my money (I drive right past a Kroger's to get to Walmart 3 miles further away, but that's due to Kroger's shitty meat and service), Sam's and a bunch of other places that give the majority of their money to Republicans and not the Demon's.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anything I buy out of my home state supports MY ideology by screwing the idiots up in Excremento.  It gives them less sales tax revenue to waste.

Actually California is wanting to require mail order companies to charge state sales tax on what you buy.

It depends, Costco I still shop at, but other companies I will avoid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
We need to make a list of who to deal with and who not to
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not that big into hippy boycotts, and other types of nonesense.........if a company make a good product, I'll buy from them.......politics be damn.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I will not purchase anything from Heinz or PG.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
OK-
This is a start.  I'll keep adding names to the TOP entry of the thread of those businesses to avoid due to the nature of their political contributions.  I'll try (as time permits) to verify these through the website noted above as well.  

I guess this is a slow type of 'fire mission', ie: one for the long haul...
~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not that big into hippy boycotts, and other types of nonesense.........if a company make a good product, I'll buy from them.......politics be damn.

Nice to know you support the gun grabbers.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I totally agree with not spending one cent with any f'nn blue company or state.  Them f's are the enemy and I am not going to knowingly subside their destroying of our rights or country.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I think this is a great site.  I will consult it from now on and make sure I give my business to the companies listed as Red and avoid the companies listed as Blue.

ETA.  If you click on the link about Subway Restaurant sponsoring the 9/11 Freedom walk you can post comments without leaving your email address.

I encourage everyone to leave positive feedback for Subway's actions.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK-
I just read all the Leatherman Tools threads where that thread was about a specific product.  My questions center around an entire business entity, such as a sporting goods store, a grocery store, a clothing store etc.  The places you visit regularly.

So, we've determined at a product level what we do or don't support.  How about at the store level?

ETA:
Spelling.

Okay, my Leatherman example was admittedly limited.

Forget product, or even store/chain/etc. - how about an entire country?

Use the archive and look back at all the threads about boycotting France - that included products, businesses, companies, even the subsidiaries of rench parent or holding companies with no actual operations in France.  I do realize this was a response to anti-American sentiment, not anti-RKBA efforts; but my point was and still is that YES, many of us here spend like we vote - infromed and in our own best interests.

Other good examples abound here, such as the call for a boycott of particular stores, chains, etc. which prohibit CCW regardless of state law/licensing (frequently seen in the Texas Hometown Forum and others), the intense hatred here of eBay/Paypal (many, many threads on this topic), and the derision of Kerry contributors during the last election (Leatherman was only one of many).

So yes, we care - and many (most?) of us spend accordingly.

ETA:  Let's not forget that many here are even for boycotting gun manufacturers when they don't "tow the line" (Glock ["ballistic fingerprinting"]; S&W [HUD agreement]; Ruger [comments & mag-limits]; etc.).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just in case you have been living in a cave,  the vast majority of these corporation donate to both parties.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just in case you have been living in a cave,  the vast majority of these corporation donate to both parties.

And just in case you're an asshole, the above poster stated unequivacally (sp) that he spent money regardless of where the company donated their money.  So campanies that give to both is irrelevant.

And, oh by the way, most of the companies listed in BTB give predominantly to one party or the other.  Some give to both, but usually it's a small number.

Now fuck off.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top