Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 1:16:31 PM EDT
I'm considering getting a used one.

Narrowed down the selection to 1999 to 2001 SR5 based on features and the bigger V6.

I'd like a stick (I've had some drive time with a 1995 5 speed and really loved it) but the drivetrain features on the 2001 automatic are very appealing which is why I've included it for consideration.

I know all about Toyota reliability and longevity, which is one of the main reasons I'm considering one.

This WON'T be used as an urban soccer mom "Oh my God I *can't* go on that dirt road, I might get my pretty car dirty" transport. I'm planning on relocating to ID, MT or WY so it's going to get USED as God intended a *real* 4x4 to be.  

Anyway, I'd appreciate any owners or maintainers of 4Runners to pipe up with what to be looking for, what to avoid and any insights from your experiences.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a '97 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed and I love it.

Other than that I can't be much help....sorry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a new one, the deficit isn't bad enough yet. Gotta bury the US manufacturers once and for all, that will teach us a lesson, er, um...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Buy a new one, the deficit isn't bad enough yet. Gotta bury the US manufacturers once and for all, that will teach us a lesson, er, um...

Don't really like GM.  Looked at Ford, didn't really do anything for me.

Buying used because I'd like to keep the price around 20k or less.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

img361.imageshack.us/img361/8365/picture11zp.jpg

Can't get the grin off my face after seeing that photo.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img361.imageshack.us/img361/8365/picture11zp.jpg

Can't get the grin off my face after seeing that photo.  

Glad I could help....btw its usually green.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't really like GM.  Looked at Ford, didn't really do anything for me.

Buying used because I'd like to keep the price around 20k or less.

Well Mopar is still sorta (but not really) American, but if none of the Big (but shrinking) 3 do it for ya, well ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

course you could support the Brits and buy a Land Rover...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 1999 SR5 sport model. 195K and running strong! Last recall was the fuel tank sensor - It shows low fuel at the 14 gal. mark - the tank holds 18!

with the rear axle locked in 4L it will go where Hummers fear to tread!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a 2004 SR5 4x4 4Runner with 5300 miles on it.  V6 w/auto.  I don't think you can even get a stick in one anymore (which I would prefer).  Nicest car I have ever owned.

This is my third Toyota.  I keep them for a long time.  Had a 96 Ford Exploder and it was nothing but a POS.  I have a 92 Toy 4x4 PU with 165,000 mile on it and it still runs like a charm.  I have never even put brakes on it or replaced the clutch.  Oil change every 3,000.  Did have to put a new battery in it in 2002.

I would love to have one of the pre-86 4Runners with the straight front axle.  Those seem to be getting rare these days.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you get one.  They just keep going and going and going....
SM
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry can't help you.  

<----------------------  Knowledge/experience ends with the '89.

Try Yotatech.com, they seem to specialize in discussing those years Toys.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a '99 SR5 with 85K.  I purchased it in 2000 with 9,000 on the clock.

I have had only 1 legitimate problem.  My front brakes crapped out at 40k and had to be totally replaced.

Whining is:

- Fuel tank too small
- Antenna mast has a short life.  Replace every 3 years.  Replacing an unbroken one is easy.  Just unscrew the 'cap' and turn the radio on and it will spit right out.  Replace with a new one and it will suck it right in.  Wait until it breaks and you'll be digging pieces out of the motor which requires removal.  
- Window appears to get rock chips easily, more easily than my other cars (this could be in my head though)
- Weak radio
- Oil filter a pain in the ass to get to
- 3.4 liter doesn't have a surplus of power.  It is however adequate.
- Very little room inside compared to almost every other mid sized SUV.  You'll be putting the rear seat down for things you wouldn't expect to need to...
- Weak AC

Praise is:
- 23-24 mpg pure highway, and 20-21 with my mix of driving.
- Body and paint have held up well through sun, salt, and tree droppings
- Excellent turning radius
- Good looks (like me)
- Rear hatch window lowers, A HUGE +  

Overall, it's a great vehicle!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the auto, avoid leather interior as it cracks over time. 4Runners are damn good trucks & will run forever with a bit of TLC on maintenance.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought my 97 4 runner new.just about to hit 69K miles.Great fuel milage and dependability.The only down side is the 18Gal. fuel tank and doing the oil changes.I swear the engineers put that filter up on the side to discourage people from changing their own oil.

Off road I havent been stuck or stopped by any senseable object.Keeps up with the jeeps and you can always fold down the back seat for a place to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just bought a 2004 SR5 4x4 4Runner with 5300 miles on it.  V6 w/auto.  I don't think you can even get a stick in one anymore (which I would prefer).  Nicest car I have ever owned.

This is my third Toyota.  I keep them for a long time.  Had a 96 Ford Exploder and it was nothing but a POS.  I have a 92 Toy 4x4 PU with 165,000 mile on it and it still runs like a charm.  I have never even put brakes on it or replaced the clutch.  Oil change every 3,000.  Did have to put a new battery in it in 2002.

I would love to have one of the pre-86 4Runners with the straight front axle.  Those seem to be getting rare these days.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you get one.  They just keep going and going and going....
SM

My buddy has an '85 4runner.  Has 175 and still goes perfectly.  Will go just about anywhere but the big rocks in stock form.  People leave him notes ALL the time asking if he is willing to sell it (and sometimes for a lot more than most would think it's worth).  I'm guessing most of the offers are coming from crawlers.  He won't do it though, even though he has a '99 Tacoma, also, and hardly ever drives the 4runner.

As far as the newer 4runners, I seriously don't think you can go wrong with any model or variation of them.  I think you'd just be a little happier if got a TRD or Limited... I believe those are the ones that come stock with an electronic locking rear diff.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 2005 4Runner and I run the snot out of it.  I owned a Camry before this and I like the 4Runner a WHOLE lot better.  Enjoy!!

<My Wife posted
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 2002 3.4. If you truly plan to use it off-road I would get something else. The elctronic stability control and the other big brother electronic intervention make driving it off-road or in the snow a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 91 with an ungodly ammount of miles on it.
It has a salvage title,   is smashed on both ends,  the hood is held down by a tie down strap,  the antenna rattles arround the radio gets bad reception,  1/2 the trim, lettering, and pinstripes are gone, the cd player overheats and wont play cd's longer than an hour or so, it has a noisy lifter, and the cabin smells like mold because I left the  hatch down in the rain a few too many times,  but my only complaint is the gas milage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have 2002 3.4. If you truly plan to use it off-road I would get something else. The elctronic stability control and the other big brother electronic intervention make driving it off-road or in the snow a PITA.

Mine has none of that...  It it a limited thing, or a year thing?  Most manufactures will have a switch where you can turn that stuff off...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

]
It is a US manufacturer. Maybe when they see that good designs are selling maybe the big three will make a good design. Also how do you feel about GM working with Toyota? Is GM now anti american?

And the topic.

I used to sell Toyotas. I had the utmost faith int he product I was selling and so did the customers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Budget for upgraded rear springs.  As you may have already noticed, the 4runners sag in the rear.  I think it's looks dumb like that, and Toy. should have used beefier springs from the getgo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, if American Car manufacturers stopped producing SHIT for a change, or AT LEAST shit that is ACTUALLY made in the USA, I MIGHT, just might feel a wee-bit sorry for them...FUCK 'EM!!!

Toyota on the other hand employs Americans.

Some people were really scraped from the bottom of the genepool.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I was always fearful of the longevity of an automatic until I bought my first 4Runner in 86.  Since then, all my Toyotas have had autos.  Knock on wood, but they have all been bullet proof.  Current 96 SR5 4WD XCab T100 is running strong as the day I bought it.  Even the wifey's 2003 Celica auto shifts smooth as silk.  Lord willing, I will never own another stick.  

Actually, the only tranny problems I ever had in any of my Yotas was 5th gear going out in an 82 2wd long bed.  Swapped it out in an afternoon with a Celica tranny for $150.

Moral of the story:  Get The Auto.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#22]
i love my '98 limited w/105k.  used for taking the dogs to the mountains.  rarely have the backseats up, which is why i got it-they lie flush.  leather cracks, but is easy to clean up and doesn't hold the smell of 3 wet mutts.  never take it in for 30/60/90 maintenance scams, runs fine.  "fog lights" are cosmetic, they broke years ago.  clock went out.  small V6, but decent gas mileage.  can't stand the plastic, small V8, soccer mom new versions.  would buy another older style, if mine wasn't paid off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Budget for upgraded rear springs.  As you may have already noticed, the 4runners sag in the rear.  I think it's looks dumb like that, and Toy. should have used beefier springs from the getgo.

That was a chronic problem with Gen2s, but Gen3s(96-02?) don't seem to suffer from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top