Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2001 4:29:12 PM EDT
I just got my Springfield 6X40 scope in the mail today.  It came with the mount and rings and it all cost only $99 bucks.  Now, I know that for them to give this stuff away, it can't be the highest quality of scopes, but I've been looking through it at targets down the street from my second floor window and the sight picture looks pretty good.  Its not blury or anything like I've heard alot of people saying it would be.  True, I have little experience with quality optics, but I must say so far, after all the negative things I heard about it, it has exceeded my expectations.  Now, as far as mounting it goes... is anybody familiar with the third generation mount?  In my haste to open the package, many of the pieces burst out and I'm not sure I was able to recover them all. hehe...(just like when I was a kid and I got a new toy) does anybody know what all of the pieces are... basically, I have the mount, two thumbscrews, the front and rear, a lock nut, the stripper clip, two pins and some other tiny semi-circular little piece, perhaps its what they call the bushing??? and do I really need all those darn tools that the instructions say I need to mount it???  They sure make it look like a chore.
Thanks all...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The optical quality is pretty lacking in the Springfield scopes. If you can compare it side by side with a Leupold M3A, you will see the difference. If you look thru the scope and concentrate on the edges, you will see how they are blurry. I'm not sure what the internal gears are made of, but there is a reason it is $99. I didn't do any durability tests with the one I had as I wanted to get rid of it. It is a decent scope for the price. If you can't afford a Leupold then don't worry about it. You still have the iron sights.

The mount is a different story. Save up the $130(Kieslers) and get yourself an ARMS. Follow the instructions EXACTLY with the Springfield mount. Not sure but it sounds like you have all the pieces.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard a lot of POS stories on this board about the scope but have never seen anyone that
had one sell it for a POS price. No, it is not
best money can buy but for the price it will do the job. I have a $90.00 scope on my AR10A4 and it gets the job done. When I get some schekles
I will get a Shepard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW I got the M1A because I wanted a rifle with
iron sights. The BIGFUN for me is to try to hit
the longrange target with iron sights. This rifle was made for the job. Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you're doing pretty well. I bought a U.
S. Optics Scope which is world class, some claim the best. Since it was used, it had ring marks and a problem the original owner said came from the factory. Tilted reticle, crooked turret and hit the detents unevenly. It's been at the factory for at leastsix months and when I last called a couple of weeks ago it was "on the bench." The time before that they told me I was getting a new one.
I'd say you're ahead of me...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't speak for that scope personally, but optic quality is only one facet of a scope. I believe that what you can't see is FAR more important in scopes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the comments... I plan on mounting it this weekend.  I don't know when I'm going to have the opportunity to shoot it, but I'll post a new message with a report as soon as I do.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I beleive Springfield scopes are made by a Jap company called Hako. They private label scopes for the industry. Not the best but it will get the job done.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
HEY AXEL,  Take your complaint to biggerhammer.net the fifty cal talk forum.  There's been a bunch of complaints there about US optics lately.  One guy who was in a similar situation, got a new scope because everybody on the board ganged-up on US optics.  Take you bitch there and we'll (the biggerhammer crowd) will get you a new scope or some pretty damn quick service.

As for Springfield scopes, they are truly a POS. I've spoken personally with people at both Thunder Ranch and Storm Mountain, and the people at both places say exactly the same thing; and that is that no Springfield scope has ever made it through one of their courses without breaking.  Not one.  That's a 100% failure rate.  Whatever you do, do not get a Springfield scope unless your little old grandmother is going to use it to shoot from her rocking chair at church on Sunday, otherwise they're useless. There's a reason that they're selling them for next to nothing, they're worth next to nothing.  Save your $99.00 and put it toward a Leupold, or a Nightforce.  You'll only be sorry with a Springfield scope - kinda like a Trashco scope.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Sitting Bull... for my present purposes, any scope that I own does not need to meet the exacting and I would assume grueling standards of Thunder Ranch.  I don't plan on marching off to war with my scope and rifle.  I haven't gone hunting in years and don't plan on it anytime soon.  I really only take my rifles to and from the range, which is usually in doors.  So, my scope doesn't need to be like a tank or anything like that.  Besides, I'm really an iron sites type of guy... only reason I got the scope is because they were offering it along with the mount and rings for such a great price.  I'm curious though... considering the fact that Springfield makes such quality firearms, why do their scopes suck so bad?  I have noticed that they are manufactured in Japan, but that can't be any test for quality as Black Hawk has their gear manufactured in Korea!  Anyway, like I said... the concensus does seem to be that Springfield scopes, across the board, suck... Oh well... I tend to baby most all of my firearms anyway... I'm sure I'll baby the optics too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Scipio, my experience with the 6x40 Springfield scope has been a postive one.  The optical quality is excellent for the price.  It has fully multi coated optics and since it is a fixed magnification (as opposed to a variable) it suffers from less edge distortion than comparable variables.  Obviously any scope with a 56mm objective lense is going to display brighter images than a scope with a 40mm objective, because it is collecting more light.  I'm not saying it's as good as a German made Leopold, Zeiss, et al., but for the price it is an excellent scope.  A fair comparison would be comparing it to a similarly priced Simmons scope.  The Springfield is vastly superior.  

One thing I have learned about optics, (mostly due to my interest as a backyard astronomer) is that you get what you pay for.  In the case of the Springfield 6x40mm, you're a getting a good deal because they are selling it to you at close to cost for purchasing one of their M1A rifles, which is where they are making their profit anyway.  The scope and mount are just an incentive to purchase the rifle.

Most of the guys here who are trashing it, want no less than the best and are comparing it to scopes that cost $800 or more.  It's kind of like comparing a $600 Mini 14 to a $3K Match Grade AR, there is no comparison.  But dollar for dollar, your $600 is getting you a pretty decent plinker.

MG
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Sitting Bull, you know nothing!  I saw you shoot and my grandma could out shoot you, blindfolded! Just kidding, hows the old palce of employment going?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Mean Green:

You are Correct, Sir.

I've got a Springfield 6x40 scope and it's a very good scope for the price and Springfield is selling them at close to cost.

If anybody wants a Wonderful, High Quality scope with 100% Diamond Clear lenses and with all the Bells and Whistles they should go buy an $800.00 Zeiss or Swarovski.

At $99.00, that Springfield scope is a Keeper...
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want an upscale POS, try the Tasco 'Super Sniper' series; they're basically MarkIV knockoffs.  I love'em, have six, and for $299 and Lifetime Warranty, its tough to go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Scipio - Not sure why Springfield makes such great guns and is associated with such crummy optics.  Their scopes are made in Japan however. Blackhawk gear made in Korea also is a total POS.  Took a course at Thunder Ranch, and among all the students, there was not one piece of blackhawk gear that survived the course without failing.  Not one.  That's a 100% failure rate. Sounds like your usage will not be excessive and the purpose which you wish to use it for may be fulfilled by the scope.

ARDOC - Aren't you working yet??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top