Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 1:16:08 PM EDT
Microsoft Corporation Windows XP family

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
Typical download size: 494 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the Print Spooler service that could allow an attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...
Don't show this update again

Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
Typical download size: 706 KB , 1 minute
Install this update to address an issue that may cause a "Generic Host Process" error message to be displayed after you install security update MS05-012, or cause attachment file names not to be displayed in Rich Text e-mail messages. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2005 (KB890830)
Download size: 776 KB , less than 1 minute
After the download, this tool runs once to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps to remove any infection found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an anti-virus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an anti-virus product.  Details...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896727)
Typical download size: 675 KB , 1 minute
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB899588)
Typical download size: 483 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the Plug and Play service that could allow an attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
Typical download size: 491 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the Telephony Application Programming Interface (TAPI) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
Typical download size: 482 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) that could allow an attacker to remotely cause your Microsoft Windows-based system to stop responding. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.  Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know whether to be glad they're patching this shit or kick their asses for having such a POS OS.

Can't wait for Escrow to close on my house.  First thing I do after I deposit the check is head for the Apple Store and get a loaded 15" PowerBook.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Windows is just a big target. If Linux or OSX had the same market share as Windows, you would see the same problems in those OSs as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the second thing you're going to do, come out of the closet or become a democrat?

Quoted:
First thing I do after I deposit the check is head for the Apple Store and get a loaded 15" PowerBook.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What's the second thing you're going to do, come out of the closet or become a democrat?

Quoted:
First thing I do after I deposit the check is head for the Apple Store and get a loaded 15" PowerBook.

+1
Friends don't let friends buy junk.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You bastard!  Suggesting I'd become a democrat.  That's REALLY low!

I've been using M$ stuff since DOS 3.11.  I used to support Macs (back in OS 6, 7 and 8 days) on my networks and hated every second of it.

I'm just fed up with the direction that MS is going.  Vista is going to end up as nothing more than SP3 for XP at the rate they're stripping stuff out of it.  Time to move to something that works better and continues to develop rather than stagnate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Using both Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux, I am pleased with the updates from both systems.

I have XP set to notify me when updates are available, and then I give it permission to download and install them when it is convenient.  (As opposed to full 'automatic update'.)

Ubuntu Linux defaults to the same general configuration, a little red symbol appears in the upper right corner of the desktop.  Click on it, and it shows you what updates are available for the OS and your apps.  Click "install" and they install.

The only advantage Ubuntu Linux has over Windows XP Pro in this instance is that I do not have to restart my computer with Linux updates.  With Windows updates, I frequently do.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Windows is just a big target. If Linux or OSX had the same market share as Windows, you would see the same problems in those OSs as well.

exactly. look into both of those with a little time on goolge and you'll find reports of exploits. Same with Unix
although XP does seem to have a lot
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]

download size: 494 KB , 1 minute
download size: 706 KB , 1 minute
Download size: 776 KB , less than 1 minute
Typical download size: 675 KB , 1 minute
Typical download size: 483 KB , 1 minute
Typical download size: 491 KB , 1 minute
Typical download size: 482 KB , 1 minute

Downright small file sizes compared to some of the updates I have downloaded from M-soft over the years for W98.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top