BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 12:46:26 PM EDT
Victim strikes back

Forced at gunpoint to bank, man kills back-seat suspect

By Sherri Drake
Contact
August 10, 2005

He said they'd gotten him two weeks ago in his front yard, forcing him to the ground with a gun and stealing $400.

But this time, 59-year-old Jacob Evans was ready.

Tuesday, the same two robbers returned, telling him to withdraw $10,000 from his bank, or die, he said. Instead, Evans deposited six bullets in one of them.

"I got prepared for them," Evans said, standing outside the Criminal Justice Center Tuesday night. "Today they acted a damn fool and came back."

Shortly after 2 p.m., Memphis police arrived at First Tennessee, at 1200 S. Third, and found one of the robbers shot to death, lying face down in the back seat of Evans's Lincoln Towncar.

About 20 minutes earlier, Evans was pulling up to his home in the 300 block of Edsel in South Memphis, when the two 20-something men came out from behind some hedges with guns, forced a friend of his out of the car and jumped in. Evans was in the driver's seat, one robber was in the front seat and another in the back.

Evans had just gotten off work at Hershey Foods, where he's a sanitation worker. He was wearing his uniform and a blue hairnet.

With guns pointed at Evans, the robbers told him to drive to a nearby bank to get some money. He told him he didn't bank there, but said he had an account at First Tennessee.

"If I didn't withdraw $10,000, they said they were going to kill me," he said.

As he was driving, Evans said he looked for police but didn't see any and tried to work out a plan. The bank's about two miles from his house.

He pulled up to the teller window and told the men he would need a withdrawal slip to get the money. The front-seat robber handed his 9mm pistol to the back-seat robber -- who already had a .22-caliber rifle -- and went inside to get the slip.

Evans noticed a security guard leaning against the bank's wall and mouthed to him: "Call police, I'm being robbed."

The robber, sitting directly behind the driver's seat, asked him what he said and Evans told him, "I didn't say a damn thing."

The man kept turning around nervously to look at the security guard, Evans said. That's when Evans reached under his seat and pulled out a .357 Magnum.

"When he turned around, I unloaded six rounds in him," Evans said. "He didn't have a chance."

Evans bought the gun in the parking lot of a gas station the day after he was robbed two weeks ago. He'd cleaned it up, putting baby oil in the revolver, so it'd be ready if he needed it.

Evans said he got out of the car and started to reload when the other suspect came out of the bank. "He took off running."

He tried to shoot that suspect too, but his gun wouldn't fire.

Someone inside the bank called 911. When employees heard the gunshots, the bank was immediately locked down and remained closed Tuesday, said spokesman Walter Dawson.

Late Tuesday, investigators were looking for the man who ran away and were working to identify the man who died, said Lt. Toney Armstrong.

After being questioned by police, Evans said they told him he was free to go.

Police said late Tuesday their investigation will be turned over to the Shelby County District Attorney General's Office, as a matter of routine.

Evans said he has only one regret. "I didn't kill the one that got away."

Tuesday night, his family drove up from Mississippi to be with Evans, who said he was happy to be alive.

"It's really not something to be proud of," he said. "But I'm happy it was them and not me."
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
you guys are fast
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoops.....Sorry for the Dupe....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTDL

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=378096

userweb.suscom.net/~fight4yourrights/pictures/Dupe%20Police.jpg

Damn straight Beyotch.

Send out your dog and no one else gets killed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuckin A, Ted Nugent would be proud.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
His gun wouldn't fire after he fired 6 rounds of .357 magnum.  
I am guessing he wasn't a gun guy.  Good job.

Baby oil lube is a dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
His gun wouldn't fire after he fired 6 rounds of .357 magnum.  
I am guessing he wasn't a gun guy.  Good job.

Baby oil lube is a dead giveaway.

Wonder why the second load didn't fire?

Good shoot.

IBTL.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
dupedy dupe, but still damn good story!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
10 seconds! Thats all a search takes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top