Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 12:46:24 PM EDT
Last night when I shut my comp down, instead of shutting down it said something about loading updates 1-8 and THEN shut down, which took forever. Today when I started it up, it took fricking forever to start up and then displayed the mouse and the desktop background, but nothing else. Finally it loaded my desktop and toolbar. So I go to open the internet. Nothing happens. I tell it to open the internet again and it finally does so, after a longer than usual wait.

The internet itself seems to be operating fine, except that just now while typing this post it stopped typing and opened a second internet window.

WTF? What updates (seemed to be an official microsoft update of my OS that it was doing after I told it to shut down) was it talking about and why the frick is my computer so slow now?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Microsoft releases it's security patches on the second Tuesday of the month. I updated several PC's with no issues but I always review the patches before applying them. It sounds like you have them setup to automatically download and update.

Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August, 2005
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
And some of the patches acually get applied as the machine boots up, so it takes longer than usual to load.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you restart it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
This explains a lot. Thanks. If I have further problems with this, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top