Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 10:00:05 AM EDT
I was outside and I noticed some big ears sticking out of the brush, and soon after a nice Mule Deer came into the clearing. It spent about 5min. walking around in my iceplant looking for some green weeds and blades of grass. They sure are not afraid of people as it looked right at me and kept walking around about 20yds away. We see them quite a bit but it is rare to see them so close. The guy next door hates them as they stripped his rose plants bare. Being so close, I was tempted to grab my .308!  We see all sorts of animals where I live in the foothills as ourbackyard leads out into the wild areas.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't look very afraid does it?  Ever notice you don't ever see them do that during hunting season?  I think they know!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Cool.  I love seeing big animals in the wild - or at least, doing their own thing.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll take that over a cat any day

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't I wish my back yard looked like that...  We have deer, just we also have nothing but houses everywhere you look...  The deer just walk between the houses and you can't hunt them because it's in the Borough (town)...  Great pic!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Purty.  It looks a lot like my horse... (weird, I know, but something about her reminds me of a doe, large eyes, alert ears, perhaps?)

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was outside and I noticed some big ears sticking out of the brush, and soon after a nice Mule Deer came into the clearing. It spent about 5min. walking around in my iceplant looking for some green weeds and blades of grass. They sure are not afraid of people as it looked right at me and kept walking around about 20yds away. We see them quite a bit but it is rare to see them so close. The guy next door hates them as they stripped his rose plants bare. Being so close, I was tempted to grab my .308!  We see all sorts of animals where I live in the foothills as ourbackyard leads out into the wild areas.

There ya go, Fixed the images for you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.avenison.com/images/rackofvenisonlg.jpg

There ya go, Fixed the images for you.

I have butchered many deer, hogs, and even cattle but how the heck were those cuts made?  I am feeling quite stupid but I am sure it is ribs but is the meet the bottom of the deer or the backstraps...

here is an image:

I am assuming it almost has to be the backstrap to get that much meat...

Sure looks tasty!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
THEY'RE COMING RIGHT AT US!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#9]
TASTY
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doesn't look very afraid does it?  Ever notice you don't ever see them do that during hunting season?  I think they know!  

Yes, they are not afraid of people in this area anymore as the city limits still extends for quite a ways and hunting has been banned in city limits for about 12yrs now. All of these deer have never been hunted so they have little fear of people. I remember seeing bow hunters years back that would hunt them, and you would almost never see deer as they were wary. Plus, mule deer are not as skittish as white tails.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
ive seen a couple of big muleys down the draw from my property, but about the only thing ive actually seen on my property so far is coyotes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#12]
zombie deer, shoot it!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top