Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 8:43:51 AM EDT
I took it a couple months ago and scored a 94 on it. I was just wondering how it is scored and what the highest you can get on it. I know I did great in the science, math, reading, and that puzzle solving one, but lacked in the more technical stuff like the auto shop, electrical stuff, and some other tests that you really only can do well on if you are trained in that area.

Im damned proud of my score and the recruiter said I can pretty much do anything I want but I was just curious how they score you on the thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah in the Army you should be able to get any MOS you want.  99 is the best, the other scores are called GT scores overall mine was (i think) 126.

Good work funny thing was i did well on my asvab and you only need like a 40 for infantry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
beat me to it
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
gooooooooooooooooooooooogle beyatchah!

What's an "ASVAB Score?"

There is no overall "ASVAB Score." When you hear someone saying "I got an 80 on my ASVAB," they are talking about their AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) score, not an "overall" ASVAB Score.

The AFQT is important. It determines whether or not you can join the military. The AFQT score is not derived from all portions of the ASVAB. Indeed, the AFQT score is determined from only four areas of the ASVAB: Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), and Mathematics Knowledge (MK).. The score is computed as follows:

The first step is to determine your Verbal Expression (VE) Score. This is done by adding the value of your ASVAB Word Knowledge (WK) Score to the values of your Paragraph Comprehension (PC) Score. This result is then compared to a chart which gives you your scaled VE Score.

The formula to derive the AFQT "raw Score" is 2VE + AR (Arithmetic Reasoning) + MK (Mathematics Knowledge).

It's important to understand here that the AFQT score is not computed with the AR "Line Score" and the MK "Line Score" that you see on your ASVAB scores sheet. The AR and MK scores shown on the score sheet is "number correct." However, the score used to compute AFQT score is the "weighted score," which takes into consideration the difficulty level of the question.

This formula results in the AFQT "raw score," which is then converted into a percentile score.

In 1980, a study, known as the "Profile of American Youth," was conducted by the Department of Defense in cooperation with the Department of Labor. DOD administered the ASVAB to a total of 11,914 individuals, ranging in age from 16 to 23, from July to October 1980. The purpose of the Profile of American Youth was to obtain data on the vocational aptitudes of current youth and to establish current national norms for the ASVAB.

The person's AFQT score is a percentile score, based on the population of test-takers in the above study. The percentiles are based upon a 99 point scale with 99 being the highest.

o, if an individual has an AFQT score of 50, then his/her AFQT "raw score" is better than 50 percent of the individuals who took the test in the above mentioned study.

AFQT Categories

For enlistment purposes, AFQT Scores are divided into the following categories:

Category I - 93-100

Category II - 65-92

Category IIIA - 50-64

Category IIIB - 31-49

Category IVA - 21-30

Category IVB - 16-20

Category IVC - 10-15

Category V - 0-9

Job Qualification

The AFQT score is used solely to determine whether or not a person is eligible to join a particular branch of the military. The AFQT score is not used to determine whether or not someone is qualified to be trained in a specific military job. Military job qualification is determined based on "Composite Scores," which are made up of individual ASVAB sub-test scores.

Air Force. The Air Force has four composite score areas made up from the individual ASVAB sub-tests, known as MAGE. The four composite score areas that make up MAGE are:

* Mechanical Aptitude Score - Determined from General Science (GS), Mechanical Comprehension (MC), and Auto/Shop (AS).
   * Administrative Aptitude Score - Numerical Operations (NO), Coding Speed (CS), and Verbal Expression (VE). (Note: With the elimination of NO and CS from the ASVAB, a "dummy score" is now inserted there, so the Administrative Score is actually determined directly from the VE Score).
   * General Aptitude Score - Determined from Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) and and Verbal Expression (VE).
   * Electronics Aptitude Score - Determined from General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), and Electronics Information (EI).

See our Air Force Enlisted Job Description & Qualifications pages to see what composite scores are required for each Air Force enlisted AFSC (job).

Army. The Army determines job qualification from ten separate composite scores made up from various sub-tests of the ASVAB. The Army Composite Scores are:

* Clerical (CL) - Determined from Verbal Expression (VE), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), and Mathematics Knowledge (MK).
   * Combat (CO) - Determined from Verbal Expression (VE), Coding Speed (CS), Auto & Shop (AS) and Mechanical Comprehension (MC). Note: Because CS has been removed from the ASVAB, a "dummy score" is inserted for this area.
   * Electronics (EL) - Determined from General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK) and Electronic Information (EI).
   * Field Artillery (FA) - Determined from Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Coding Speed (CS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK) and Mechanical Comprehension (MC). Note: Because CS has been removed from the ASVAB, a "dummy score" is inserted for this area.
   * General Maintenance (GM) - Determined from General Science (GS), Auto & Shop (AS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK) and Electronics Information (EI).
   * General Technical (GT) - Determined from Verbal Expression (VE) and Arithmetic Reasoning (AR).
   * Mechanical Maintenance (MM) - Determined from Numerical Operations (NO), Auto & Shop (AS), Mechanical Comprehension (MC) and Electronic Information (EI).

Note: Because NO has been removed from the ASVAB, a "dummy score" is inserted for this area.
   * Operators and Food (OF) - Determined from Verbal Expression (VE), Numerical Operations (NO), Auto & Shop (AS) and Mechanical Comprehension (MC). Note: Because NO has been removed from the ASVAB, a "dummy score" is inserted for this area.
   * Surveillance and Communications (SC) - Determined from Verbal Expression (VE), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Auto & Shop (AS) and Mechanical Comprehension (MC).
   * Skilled Technical (ST) - Determined from General Science (GS), Verbal Expression (VE), Mechanical Comprehension (MC) and Mathematics Knowledge (MK).

See our Army Enlisted Job Description & Qualifications pages to see what composite scores are required for specific Army MOS's (jobs).

Marine Corps. The Marine Corps determines job qualifications from four separate composite scores made up from various sub-tests of the ASVAB. The Marine Corps Composite Scores are:

* Clerical (CL)- No Marine Corps enlisted job uses this composite anymore. In 2002, all enlisted MOS's which had a requirement for a CL composite score were converted to GT scores.
   * Electronics Repair, Missile Repair, Electronics & Communications (EL) - Determined from General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK) and Electronic Information (EI).
   * General Maintenance, Construction, Utility and Chemical Maintenance (MM) - Determined from General Science (GS), Auto & Shop (AS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK) and Electronics Information (EI).
   * General Technical, Special and Officer Programs (GT) - Determined from Verbal Expression (VE) and Arithmetic Reasoning (AR).

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Your ASVAB score is a compilation of a bunch of scored categories, kind of like the SAT's. Your GT score(general technical, I think), is generally considered the "intelligence" part of the test, a score of 110 or above (max is 130) in that category means you can do just about any of the "smart" jobs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You're destined to be a telephone installer, or security police.  If you had one more point, they would let you drive a fuel truck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm an idiot and I got a 92.

What does THAT tell ya?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The ASVAB is a watered down test.  It's a recruiting tactic to say, "Wow, kid!  You're a genius!"

Don't you now feel special?  Don't you feel you have opportunities available that others don't?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a 96 and boobies and shiney objects enthrall me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got a 96 and boobies and shiney objects enthrall me.

I scored a 99 with 139's and 140's on the line scores and I still cannot operate the remote control for satelite TV.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I scored higher the first time I took it but evidently I got stupider. The first time was on a PC (2002) second time was the good ole paper and pencil (2004).
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yeah in the Army you should be able to get any MOS you want.  99 is the best, the other scores are called GT scores overall mine was (i think) 126.

Good work funny thing was i did well on my asvab and you only need like a 40 for infantry.

And the beautiful thing about "33 for Infantry" is that in my Company in BT/AIT, we had a few guys who couldnt even score THAT on the first couple times of the ASVAB.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm an idiot and I got a 92.

What does THAT tell ya?

Sgat1r5

I got like an 85 without even trying one bit.

Now, what does THAT tell ya.

I went in, while 20 other people had already been taking it, and came out before even one of them finished.  It normally takes something like 2hours to do for the average person?  It took me under 30mins.
My recruiter was kinda mad that it took so short cuz he was wanting to relax for a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top