Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:40:22 AM EDT

I always have pronounced and spelled (and always will) the abbreviated version of refrigerator as 'fridge' The reason for this is simple. Following the rules of English language phonics, the 'e' at the end of 'frige' requires that the i be pronounced 'long i' fashion, resulting in the nails on chalkboard pronunciation 'fry-ja'.  The 'd' in fridge is necessary to convert the 'i' from 'long i' to 'short i' as it is in 'refrigerator.'

I'll leave further argument on this matter to the English PhDs. Ok, that's all I had, nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#2]
EGGS ACT LY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I have NEVER seen "'fridge" spelled "Frige".

Merriam Entry for FRIDGE

0wn3d to anyone that thinks its "frige"

Double 0wnag3
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
REFRIGERATOR -re·frig·er·a·tor  noun.
An appliance, cabinet, or room for storing food or other substances at a low temperature.

FRIDGE -fridge Pronunciation noun. Informal
A refrigerator

FRIGE -is not available in the general English dictionary and thesaurus
from acronyms

Acronym                                                                   Definition
FRIGE        - Refrigerator (usually spelled FRIDGE; originally short for Frigidaire)

definitions are backed up by links to a online dictonary, links are in blue
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have NEVER seen "'fridge" spelled "Frige".

Merriam Entry for FRIDGE

0wn3d to anyone that thinks its "frige"

Double 0wnag3

actualy you got own3d, its a acronym see my above post
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This is definitely worth posting about, and I encourage everyone to take a serious look at this threat to our way of life.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I think we need a poll. The spelling that wins will be the official spelling of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Where's Dr. Frige when you need him?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I spell the "fridge" "fridge".  But with a Chicago accent it comes out "frige".  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is definitely worth posting about, and I encourage everyone to take a serious look at this threat to our way of life.

Ever notice that the most inane threads have the greatest draw? For example, this thread has more responses, and nearly more views in less than 10 minutes than this painstakingly crafted thread that I put together has gotten since August 7:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=377227

I can't explain it, I just call em like I see em.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

At ARFCOM, it's 'frige'.

Dr. Frija
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

At ARFCOM, it's 'frige'.

THIS says it all... I dont care if William F Buckley says its "FriDge".... Its "FRIGE"

Here is the way I see it and WILL win my argument...  Ready?

If you want advise on how to fix your reFRIGErator, you spell it right... Or else If you spell it Fridge, I may forget how to properly wire up your frige and send you the wrong schematic.

You know, no one really asked me WHY I originally spelled it "FRIGE"... I think the Burro Canyon crew can figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At ARFCOM, it's 'frige'.

THIS says it all... I dont care if William F Buckley says its "FriDge".... Its "FRIGE"

If you want advise on how to fix your reFRIGErator, you spell it right... Or else If you spell it Fridge, I may forget how to properly wire up your frige and send you the wrong schematic.

You know, no one really asked me WHY I originally spelled it "FRIGE"... I think the Burro Canyon crew can figure it out.

because the D in fridge is the sand in your...never mind.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At ARFCOM, it's 'frige'.

Yes but unless you're "Dr. Refrigerator", you spell the abbreviated version of "Refrigerator" as "Fridge", as per, IAW, Merriam Webster Dictionary.

I once knew a fridge repairman... he kept hounding me for a broken A/C unit so he could extract the freon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#18]
my understanding was its a shortend word from the brand namne firgidaire, just like bra is shortned from brasiere. it will always be fridge to me, considering i grew up using a frigidaire, fridge
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
my understanding was its a shortend word from the brand namne firgidaire, just like bra is shortned from brasiere. it will always be fridge to me, considering i grew up using a frigidaire, fridge

refer to my above post
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

refer to my above post

and what does that have to do with my reference to the fridge i grew up with??? ot you just uping your post count??
??

eta
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

refer to my above post

and what does that have to do with my reference to the fridge i grew up with??? ot you just uping your post count??
??

eta

no, I was pointing out that the dictionary said that :
FRIGE(acronym) - Refrigerator(usually spelled FRIDGE; originally short for Frigidaire) and that goes along with what your understanding of the word was

and yes to upping post count
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#22]
The real meaning of Frige

Frige ... was the love goddess of Germanic mythology, and the wife of Wotan (Odin). She has given her name to the weekday Friday in analogy with Venus. In the last surviving and by far best known version of Germanic mythology, Norse mythology, she had split into two clearly related goddesses, the promiscuous Freya who was married to Odr and the sometimes unfaithful Frigg who was the wife of Odin.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#23]
It is a frige. The first frige commercially available was manufactured by the Guardian Frigerator Company. When Genral Motors purchased the company it became Frigidaire.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It is a frige. The first frige commercially available was manufactured by the Guardian Frigerator Company. When Genral Motors purchased the company it became Frigidaire.

but no one called them that till the frididaire came out, did you read the other posts??
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#25]
It's fucking spelled "icebox".

Now shut the fuck up.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's fucking spelled "icebox".

Now shut the fuck up.  

no, no no, thATS A FRIGD WOMANS  GASH, DAMN IT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Considering that the good "Dr. FRIGE" saved me probably over a $100 in refrigerator repair bills, I will spell it with friggin numbers in it if he so wishes!

Thanks again Doc!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a frige. The first frige commercially available was manufactured by the Guardian Frigerator Company. When General Motors purchased the company it became Frigidaire.

but no one called them that till the frididaire came out, did you read the other posts??

According to my Mother the word frige originally came from shortening "Frigerator". They even had conversion kits to convert ice boxes to a frige.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
More proof

I think your new name should be DrloveGoddess
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
More proof

img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/denderwuz/frige.jpg

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a frige. The first frige commercially available was manufactured by the Guardian Frigerator Company. When General Motors purchased the company it became Frigidaire.

According to my Mother the word frige originally came from shortening "Frigerator". They even had conversion kits to convert ice boxes to a frige.

lol well according to mu 99 year old granny, who had ice boxes in her house, and chilled the milk from the dairy farm in colorado in 1912 with ice, it was not called a "fridge" till frigidaire came out, my granny is older so i win? is that how your game works??
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#32]
You're right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
More proof

img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/denderwuz/frige.jpg

Dr. 'Frige' = "It's all good. Everyone should love everyone. "
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

lol well according to mu 99 year old granny, who had ice boxes in her house, and chilled the milk from the dairy farm in colorado in 1912 with ice, it was not called a "fridge" till frigidaire came out, my granny is older so i win? is that how your game works??

Whatever. When I was little kid my grandmother called the frige an ice box.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Bravo teguilabob - your grandmother has given you the correct answer and you passed it along.
Another trivia question to test on.

Frigidaire is the origin of the name just as many other products that have been around for years derive their calling from the original manufacturer.

By the way, anyone know who played the original Tarzan in the movies?

www.restoretherepublic.org
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Bravo teguilabob - your grandmother has given you the correct answer and you passed it along.
Another trivia question to test on.

Frigidaire is the origin of the name just as many other products that have been around for years derive their calling from the original manufacturer.

By the way, anyone know who played the original Tarzan in the movies?

www.restoretherepublic.org

DAMN THE SILENT MOVIE?? I KNOW BUSTER CRABB AND BUSTER KEATON WERE EARLY ONES

www.scils.rutgers.edu/~lpoll/555project/actors.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top