Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:00 AM EDT
Aerial spraying for the "West Nile Virus" over the course of three nights.  According to reports we had 17 people come down with it over the last month, 4 more this last week.

They say it is for the people but I suspect it may be mainly for the crops.

something like 200,000 acres will be sprayed.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My son had a mysterious 103 fever for a few days a few weeks ago, as a part of the process for eliminating things, they included the tests for West Nile, he has antibodies and antigens for West Nile.  The County has retested and we are waiting for something definitive.  In any case the first tests showed it as inactive.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is becoming endemic in many parts of Southern California.  Apparently over 90% of the infections are so minor most people don't even notice, and unless you have other major problems it's highly unlikely that it will be a problem.    But for folks with existing conditions it can be a killer.

The tin foil hat folks are coming out about the spray but apparently it's made from marigolds and is "natural".  Then again heroin is made from poppies.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/903959/tinfoil.jpg

definately,

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quick call Art Bell!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#6]
4 new cases were reported last night.

The sraying was VERY thick.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Your city should Sprits you will Seltzer!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Not for the crops. I've taken care of patients with West Nile, it's worse than the media makes it sound (believe it or not).
I wish the parish sprayed more down here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#9]
That sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  Please take precautions.

In the mid-'90s, the CA.gov was spraying Malathion all over Ventura County to kill little buggies that were eating the fruit crops.  They used several helos in echelon formation to cover the entire area in a few nights.  Then they'd set traps and if a live fly showed up...sprayed again!  

Our house got sprayed several times over a few months.  The .gov and other "authorities" told us that the spray-fu was weak and would not hurt us...BUT then they told us to stay inside, don't look up at the helos and make sure to bring the pets in and not let them out until the yards dried.  

Pissed me off 'cause I had to cover my car with plastic and chase down my wife's dumb-assed cat to bring him in.   I guess the spraying killed the fruit flies...but it was a PITA.

Finally...at the time, my brother was a licensed exterminator.  He used Malathion and other evil organophosphate cholinesterase blockers every day.  He told us that in reality, spraying all of us and our goods with bug spray...evened "weakened" bug spray was a bad idea.  Sort of like taking a VX spritz bath.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes I was here for the fruit fly also.

The funniest part of all of this is that they aren't gonna spray the water ways or the organic farms.

The water ways are were the mosquitoes are the THICKEST and who the fuck cares about the organic farms???

It was rather thick last night and yes the cars do get messy

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds liek it's time to go MOPP4 and open up on the offending aircraft...lol...

jsut kidding of course.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
tinfoil hat time.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top