Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 5:28:22 AM EDT
Linky

Iran - U.N. inspectors removed the final seals from equipment at a uranium conversion plant in central     Iran on Wednesday, paving the way for Tehran to fully open the facility despite U.S. and European calls for it to maintain a suspension.

In Vienna, Austria, diplomats with the     International Atomic Energy Agency were discussing how to persuade Iran to step back from its nuclear activities and de-escalate its standoff with the West over U.S. allegations that it secretly plans to build atomic bombs.

But the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Gholamreza Aghazadeh, made clear that Iran would not be deterred from developing its nuclear program, which it says is for peaceful purposes.

Iran began work at the Uranium Conversion Facility in Isfahan, 255 miles south of Tehran, on Monday, but some key units at the facility remained under seal by the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency since a November suspension in activity as part of negotiations.

The agency confirmed that its seals at the plant were broken Wednesday, as it postponed a meeting so diplomats could seek consensus over how to rebuke Iran for resuming activities that could lead to an atomic weapon.

The agency said it had a surveillance system in place at the facility to keep tabs on the work.

Washington suspects Tehran of having a clandestine nuclear weapons program, and     President Bush said Tuesday he was "deeply suspicious" about Iran's intentions. But there appeared to be little stomach at the IAEA meeting in Vienna for referring the issue to the     U.N. Security Council, which could impose punitive sanctions.

In conversion, yellowcake is turned into UF-6 gas. In the next stage of the process — which Iran has said it will not resume for the time being — the gas is fed in centrifuges for enrichment. Uranium enriched to a low level is used to produce nuclear fuel; further enrichment makes it suitable for use in an atomic bomb.

Last week, Britain, France and Germany, which are negotiating with Iran on behalf of the     European Union, offered Iran a package of aid measures and support for a civilian nuclear program in exchange for Iran's promising to abandon enrichment.

Iran rejected the package, insisting that as a signatory to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty it has the right to enrich uranium. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the proposals were an "insult" to the Islamic Republic.

The German and French governments warned Iran that if it did not reconsider its rejection, the IAEA was likely to refer the country to the U.N. Security Council, which could impose sanctions.

But the draft resolution before the IAEA's 35-nation board of governors in Vienna does not mention the Security Council. Written by Britain, France and Germany, the text expresses "serious concern" about the resumption of conversion in Isfahan and urges Iran to cooperate by "re-establishing full suspension of all enrichment-related activities."

The IAEA canceled a session tentatively planned for Wednesday afternoon, signaling disagreement over the wording. Diplomats were expected to continue negotiations privately on a resolution urging Iran to suspend its latest nuclear activities.

"They need more time," IAEA spokesman Peter Rickwood said.

Iran has said it would rather be referred to the Security Council rather than give up its right to control the entire cycle of nuclear fuel — from mining uranium to enriching it.

Iran suspended enrichment and related activities, such as conversion, in October 2003 to build trust while negotiations with the Europeans proceeded. But it has expressed frustration with the talks, and has been threatening for weeks to resume parts of its enrichment program.

The United States says Iran seeks to develop nuclear weapons, but Iran denies this, saying its nuclear program is only for producing electricity.

So the fuckers are sending sophisticated explosives to Iraq, and rattling sabers over nukes and fucking UN decides that this is ok. WTF!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, the UN's handiwork! Those blue helmets are so good at stopping tyranny. BTW, I wonder what a "UN Seal" looks like. Does it look impressive like a bank vault of is it a piece of police tape?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
news.yahoo.com/news?

But the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Gholamreza Aghazadeh, made clear that Iran would not be deterred from developing its nuclear program, which it says is for peaceful purposes.

If someone walked up to me and said, "hello! I am Gholamreza Aghazadeh" I would think they were choking and administer the Heimlich maneuver...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
and the libtards wonder why we sent Bolton to the UN?!?!

JHC this is seriously fucked up!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Let's sum this up:

A nation that needs nuclear energy like a bull needs water wings - and is constantly rattling its saber - just has to SAY the reactor is for peaceful purposes and the UN will believe them???

IF that's the case I'm calling the UN up and asking for 20 million dollars so I can NOT buy guns with it.

Keeripes, the UN is gullible. Oh, except for when the US is involved, then it's "Whoa, US! Let's not rush into action!"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

IF that's the case I'm calling the UN up and asking for 20 million dollars so I can NOT buy guns with it.

What a great fucking idea!!!! Lets get a grant from the UN for a Massive Nationwide Gun buyback program. We'll keep all the guns for ourselves.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a great fucking idea!!!! Lets get a grant from the UN for a Massive Nationwide Gun buyback program. We'll keep all the guns for ourselves.  

Great idea, but your forgetting one idea, we'd be using our own millions of Dollars for the buy back, since we pay so much in "Member Fees" or w/e the hell we pay, hell, they should be paying us since their using our own building/city/county/state/country...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Fission Accomplished!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing for sure, the world is heading closer to a nuclear war. The won't the USA to bail the world's ass out this predictament, because we've got our handsful in Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe Germany, France & Spain can lend a hand. I wonder if anybody ever thought of what happens if/when diplomacy fails?

I wonder what happened to the nuclear clear clock that we are on the "eve of destruction," that the used to have, they should move the hands about 5 minutes closer to midnight.

I wish I had a recording of the Barry McGuire's song, "the Eve of Destruction." It would be very appropo at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Fission Accomplished!

The only good that could come of it is, if they had an accident, and turned their own country into a sheet of glass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fission Accomplished!

The only good that could come of it is, if they had an accident, and turned their own country into a sheet of glass.

Hpefully the Mossad can arrange just such an 'accident.'
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
news.yahoo.com/news?

If someone walked up to me and said, "hello! I am Gholamreza Aghazadeh" I would think they were choking and administer the Heimlich maneuver...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Last week, Britain, France and Germany, which are negotiating with Iran on behalf of the     European Union, offered Iran a package of aid measures and support for a civilian nuclear program in exchange for Iran's promising to abandon enrichment.

Iran rejected the package, insisting that as a signatory to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty it has the right to enrich uranium. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the proposals were an "insult" to the Islamic Republic.

Why is the West trying to bribe Iran with money? They have so much of money already, the world is seeing an all-time high in crude oil prices? Not many of the peace-niks have thought about what happens IF diplomacy fails, and we are almost but not quite there yet.

What happened to all those hypoocrites who was always demonstating against the USA for world peace and nuclear disarmament? Those folks should be coming out of the wood works now. Those people only demonstrate only against when the USA. Where's the Ted Kennedy's and Andrew Young's of this world? What is the world coming to? The silence is truly defeatening.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One thing for sure, the world is heading closer to a nuclear war. The won't the USA to bail the world's ass out this predictament, because we've got our handsful in Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe Germany, France & Spain can lend a hand. I wonder if anybody ever thought of what happens if/when diplomacy fails?

I wonder what happened to the nuclear clear clock that we are on the "eve of destruction," that the used to have, they should move the hands about 5 minutes closer to midnight.

I wish I had a recording of the Barry McGuire's song, "the Eve of Destruction." It would be very appropo at the moment.

www.thebulletin.org/doomsday_clock/
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is the West trying to bribe Iran with money? They have so much of money already, the world is seeing an all-time high in crude oil prices? Not many of the peace-niks have thought about what happens IF diplomacy fails, and we are almost but not quite there yet.

What happened to all those hypoocrites who was always demonstating against the USA for world peace and nuclear disarmament? Those folks should be coming out of the wood works now. Those people only demonstrate only against when the USA. Where's the Ted Kennedy's and Andrew Young's of this world? What is the world coming to? The silence is truly defeatening.

To support your post:

I seem to recall a deal struck with North Korea by the Clinton administration that had the net effect of hitting the snooze button on an alarm clock... Deals and appeasement will not work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Preemptive strike, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Banners stretched across the lenght of the erector launcher usualy translate to "We will crush America under the sword of Islam." and "We will burn Israel with the fires of hell."

I'm not joking...thats actually what the banners usually say.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Linky

So the fuckers are sending sophisticated explosives to Iraq

How do you get that out of this article?  Did I miss something?
Point me in the right direction would ya>  M4-CQBR    

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#18]
It's becoming more and more obvious by the minute that this is ultimately going to end in military conflict between Iran and the US. The only thing yet in doubt is how many other nations will be on board with us when that time comes. But the time is coming.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: What happened to all those hypoocrites who was always demonstating against the USA for world peace and nuclear disarmament? Those folks should be coming out of the wood works now.
They can't afford gas/diesel to power their polluting VW vans and schoolbuses.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Fission Accomplished!

A lightbulb just went on over the head of the Mossad
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fission Accomplished!

A lightbulb just went on over the head of the Mossad

God I hope so
Im not real worried though I have alot faith in Israel
they will not let this happen
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, the UN's handiwork! Those blue helmets are so good at stopping tyranny. BTW, I wonder what a "UN Seal" looks like. Does it look impressive like a bank vault of is it a piece of police tape?

IIRC, its thin wire with a piece of pressed lead holding the ends together.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't see this as a bad thing at all.

If they want to, let them. Then we will have an excuse to BOMB THEM INTO OBLIVION.
In fact, I WANT all these groups that are always dicking around with our pansy leaderships to finally do what they've been making a rukkus about.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]

And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven Iran about the space of half an hour.

Hrmm. 30 minutes might be too much.
What is the flight time of a D-5 from the
Indian ocean?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
When the third world war breaks out, do you think we'll be shooting at idiots in blue helmets too?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven Iran about the space of half an hour.

Hrmm. 30 minutes might be too much.
What is the flight time of a D-5 from the
Indian ocean?

The D-5 flies at about 6km/s, max range of >7000km, so we're looking at a flight time of about 20 minutes.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top