Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2005 2:17:25 AM EDT
im in baghdad. skin was kinda dry, naturally. Buddy got What he thought was a bottle of hand lotion in a care package and gave to to me. I put it on, thinking it woudl help. Few days later, the dry skin turns into dry skin with a rash. inally, i look at the bottle, and it says "moisturising skin care". In a corner in small letters it says "body wash". So, all along i was rubbing body wash into my hands.

That explains the rash. i immediately stopped using that stuff (actually took the bottle and threw it as hard as i could across tent city) . It's been abotu a week and a half, and the rash and dry peeling skin is still here. Iv'e tried hydrocortisone, Alveeno hand lotion, vaseline, cocoa butter...I've tried everythign i can think of, and it's not really going away.

Have i waited long enough? Is there something else i can use? woudl i be better off using nothing?  

A buddy of mine has had eczema since he was 10, and he thinks i may have it. symptoms are similar. But i think it's mostly cause of that f-ing soap.....combination of that and the desert dryness... my skin just hasn't had a change to catch up.

**EDIT**

Sucked up my pride and went to the doc. He said he's never seen this before. Looked at my had for 5 minutes. Got a real puzzled look. lol...

Gave me some Betamethasone and some Zinc Oxide. And latex gloves.

told me to put on the Betamethasone, then the Zinc Oxide. THen put the latex gloves on for an hour. Do so twice daily. Go back in a day or two and get checked up on.

So....i guess i'll find out.

Funny side note: CC comes into the office, sees tube of unknown substance, and rubber gloves. Looks at me and says "i don't think i even want to know."
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
soap tends to be on the caustic side. Sounds like skin burn, keep it clean and it will heal, you just killed the outter layer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
soap tends to be on the caustic side. Sounds like skin burn, keep it clean and it will heal, you just killed the outter layer.

that's kinda what i figured. Been trying to keep it as clean as possible. problem is all we have here is alcohol based hand sanitizer and water. i know alcohol will dry it out.

Any idea if using hand sanitizer is a good idea? what about putting lotion on it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's kinda what i figured. Been trying to keep it as clean as possible. problem is all we have here is alcohol based hand sanitizer and water. i know alcohol will dry it out.

Any idea if using hand sanitizer is a good idea? what about putting lotion on it?

alcohol kills cells, so no it's not really helping past sanitizing a wound

how long does it take to get a packege over there?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
packages take anywhere from 10 days to months. i've only got 36 days left, so i'm starting to tell peopel to not send packages.

If there's something in particualr you'd recommend, let me know and i cna look aroudn for it. I jsut looked at my hand sanitizer and it says it's got moisturizers and Vitamin E. don't knwo if that woudl change it at all. We do have water, but in limited locations. I work in communications, so i spend most of my day on radios or keyboards. So my hands are my primary tools.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
keep them clean, forget the lotion w/ alcohol, I was going to get you some medicated hand stuff and send it to you, but since there isnt enouph time, zinc oxide for diaper rashes wouldn't be a bad idea
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:57:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Find a doctor/medic and show them. They will most likely prescribe a corticosteroid. If you have Eczema, you should not deploy overseas, it's a disqualifier for military duty.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Are there any aviation maintenance folks near you?  They usually have some hand creams and barrier creams for use around aircraft chemicals.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:06:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Find a doctor/medic and show them. They will most likely prescribe a corticosteroid. If you have Eczema, you should not deploy overseas, it's a disqualifier for military duty.

it's from the soap it's not eczema(I have that) and a corticosteroid would help with inflamation, but not help heal it, and steroids lower you immune system, but go to your medic and request skin burn ointment
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Most lotions and things of that nature say right on the bottle, " Do not apply to broken or irritated skin".  Alcohol is the last thing you want to put on it.  Treat it like a burn.  Keep it clean and dry, it may take few days but your skin needs to heel first.  Clean, dry and cover with dry sterile dressings.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Zinc oxide.... hmm....

Dont know if that'd be a hot item in the desert here. I can look around.

Like i said, what i've got at my disposal:

Cocoa Butter creme
Purell Hand sanitizer
vaseline
Alveeno with colloidal oatmeal
Hydrocortisone cream

I wanted to try to take care of things myself first before i go to the medics. I'll jsut try regular old washing with soap and water, and keepign it dry and clean. If that doesn't help at all in a few days, I'll go to the medics. If i cna find Zinc Oxide, i'll give that a shot too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#13]
it's what people have used for mannny years as a sunblock for their nose, remember the life gaurds with it on their nose, it's also used in burn oientment
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd wash it well with just water, put the hydrocortisone on it and wrap it up.

Just one more idea I guess. But like they said before, treat it like a burn.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
it's what people have used for mannny years as a sunblock for their nose, remember the life gaurds with it on their nose, it's also used in burn oientment

Gotcha. I'll look around... mgiht have that here by the sunblock.

Another thought: Aloe Vera? That seems to work great on sunburns...

I'll run by the bx and see what kind of burn/sunburn type stuff they have.

(didn't even thing abotu the "external use/not for broken skin" thing.... i'm sure that hasn't been helping me)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#16]
look at a different PX. No Zinc oxide, but did find neosporin plus (Bacitracin zinc, Neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B sulfate, and Pramoxine Hydrochloride)

Says it's for burns, but doesn't say anything abotu not using on broken skin.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's from the soap it's not eczema(I have that) and a corticosteroid would help with inflamation, but not help heal it, and steroids lower you immune system, but go to your medic and request skin burn ointment

From his pics, it looks like it's infected too... but otherwise it looks like a typical atopic dermatitis breakout. He may not have eczema but it is a dermatitis of some sort. Find a doctor and get a professional opinion before you buy some product hoping it works.

Corticosteroids will help with the inflammation, and moisturizer (the real deal) will help your skin naturally heal.

You're either allergic to the soap itself or you just over-dried your skin, which can accelerate eczema breakout (for those that have it).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Probably got a booby trapped bottle of lotion. Probably a care package sent by a democrat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the wash/lotion must have irritated your natural yeast production as it looks to me that you have a yeast infection on your hands.  I would recommend trying a zinc oxidize or metracronzol [if available].  Not sure if you have access to a health food store but acedophilious and flax seed oil taken orally will help.

Thank you for your service too!  Patty {forgive the spelling}
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Maybe its an allergic reaction?  Try Benedryl or any antihistamine.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think the wash/lotion must have irritated your natural yeast production as it looks to me that you have a yeast infection on your hands.

whoa......hold the boat....

you mean wome nget this painful burning, itching, and peeling "down there"?

DAMN! suddenly i realise how important those commercials are. dang....

Well... the Neosporin is burning like a bitch...lol...

I told myself i'd wait a week. If it's not lookign better by wednesday, i'm gign to hunt down the doc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the wash/lotion must have irritated your natural yeast production as it looks to me that you have a yeast infection on your hands.

I told myself i'd wait a week. If it's not lookign better by wednesday, i'm gign to hunt down the doc.

Hunt down the doc now!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hunt down the doc now!

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hunt down the doc now!

Thinking bout it. I jsut feel like a total retard. I mean i fricken put soap on my hands and rubbed it in and let it sit. I honestly thought it was hand lotion, but still. I feel like a moron. lol...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, no fun.  I hope you feel better soon.  It looks really painful!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
One more idea to add to the pile:

When you go to sleep, lotion up your hands REALLY well (to the point it won't absorb any more and they're coated), and then put them in bread bags. This is what EladEflow's mom had to do when she was a kid and had horribly dry feet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

When you go to sleep, lotion up your hands REALLY well (to the point it won't absorb any more and they're coated), and then put them in bread bags. This is what EladEflow's mom had to do when she was a kid and had horribly dry feet.

erm..........interesting.

I'm gonna hold off on that one for now. That sounds liek a great way to create serious problems. i guess jsut while you're sleeping woudlnt' be all that bad. Also, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that lotion is not for broken skin.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like someone has  been spending way too much time alone with the playboy magazine.

Seriously though, try to get some vasoline intensive care lotion.  Try to apply it several times of the day and do not scratch it.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I would also use rubber gloves as they would allow you to maybe do something if needed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Seen it before. It is an infection under the skin. In this case a Dermitits. You need oral Tetracycline and some light duty. Keep your hands out of gloves, and drink plenty of watter. Tell your medic / corpsman and get to the aid station. If you get hit and have a pre existing infection your imuse system can not stop it as well. Get it treated.     Hell Quote this email.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Years ago I had something very similar, the only thing that helped me was this cream called, LAC-HYDRIN, is an ammonium lactate cream.  I also remember taking a pill that I think, it was called Lamisil, I am not sure about that name, but the cream I still have some and use it once in a while.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I may as well pile on here.... I've had the exact same thing. In my case I was never able to identify the causative agent but I was doing some construction so I must've handled something my body didn't like.

It's contact dermatitis (allergic reaction) from something (probably the soap but not necessarily so don't be complacent). DO NOT USE antibiotics as this is worse than useless.

I was given some small sample tubes of topical prednisone from the doc. Used it for about 10 days and the problem was gone never to reappear.

Go to the doc and get it fixed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Have you worn any latex gloves? sometimes those can cause a rash like that if you are alergic.

just a thought ......
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Have you worn any latex gloves? sometimes those can cause a rash like that if you are alergic.

just a thought ......

Funny you say that.

I went to the doc.

Explained everything. he never saw it this bad. probably contact dermatitis, but he had no clue. Gave me Betamethasone and Zinc Oxide. And latex gloved.

Instructions: put on the Betamethastuff. Then put on Zinc oxide. The put on latex gloves and wear for an hour afterwards.

blood was also drawn. Go back in a day or two to take a look again
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Good job on going to the doc NAM.  I don't know what it is with guys who refuse to go to the doctor.  We women have to endure pokes and prods all over the place for minor sniffles, while men only have one orifice to explore.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't know what it is with guys who refuse to go to the doctor.  

What's not to understand? We're men. We never get lost, and we never cry. We just "recheck coordinates", and "Get dirt in our eyes".

Good job on going to the doc NAM.  

a pat on the back is always nice, but i'm guessing i'm more deserving of a kick in the butt for waiting so long.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I get that on areas of my hand when I play ice hockey. Guess it's the hot and sweaty gloves with the cold air that does it. All it takes is time for it to go away, and any normal skin moisturizer (for me at least).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Hand lotion huh? If a playboy was involved, you're gonna be in some serious hurt!

Get back soon! I need some HF stuff

Thanks for your service bro....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

lol.... i think you've got all my HF stuff. still got that AR-7?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol.... i think you've got all my HF stuff. still got that AR-7?

Yep! Just waiting for your FFL

Now with the code requirement going away, I'll be getting my General and needing HF stuff. Didn't you just get a bunch of it from a silent key's estate?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Not a doctor, but as soon as I read your story I had a strong idea it's contact dermatitis.  here's some info.

contact dermatitis results from direct contact with one of many irritants or allergens. Common irritants include laundry soap, skin soap and cleaning products. Possible allergens include rubber, metals, jewellery, perfume, cosmetics and weeds such as poison ivy. It takes a larger amount of an irritant over a longer time to cause Dermatitis than it takes for an allergen. If you're sensitized to an allergen, just brief exposure to a small amount of it can cause Dermatitis.

Link to website

contact dermatitis: Treatment consists primarily of identifying the cause of irritation and avoiding it. Sometimes, creams containing hydrocortisone, or wet dressings that provide moisture to your skin, may help relieve redness and itching.

Hope some of this helps

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#43]
A friend of mine had hands that looked similar. It wouldn't heal completely and kept coming back. He was taking anti-biotics and  using cremes.. but it still kept coming back. I think he was battling it for over a year. Not saying that you have the same prroblem.. but just saying what worked for his hands.

A couple Doctors tried to help him, but he finally found one that cured it for good.

It was finally resolved with a combo of steroid shots and strong anti-biotics.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Now with the code requirement going away, I'll be getting my General and needing HF stuff. Didn't you just get a bunch of it from a silent key's estate?

ahhh.... but is it?

they've tallked abotu ti before, but it never happened.

might actually have an ffl lined up this time ;)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Neosporin will help, plus I wonder if you can get a hold of latex gloves and just smother your hands with Neosporin  and put the gloves on for a while every day or while you sleep.  Maybe hmm.

But anyway Neosporin!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I have had similar flare ups on my forearms and legs....had to see a doc for it.  Hope you get better.....

hmmm...no one has said anything about an itchy trigger finger yet......
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have had similar flare ups on my forearms and legs....had to see a doc for it.  Hope you get better.....

My palm itches to high heaven, but the finger is jsut sore as hell. The pad is dried out and cracked. WAs bleeding a bit the other day.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#48]
I would get bad dermatitis from all the chemicals I would bathe in. (Aircraft Sheetmetal) They gave me Neosporin and then Bactroban cream. That would always stop it.

It definitely is some painful shit...!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You caught a yeast infection...Where else have your handds been.......
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:58:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My palm itches to high heaven, but the finger is jsut sore as hell. The pad is dried out and cracked. WAs bleeding a bit the other day.

atopic dermatitis patches look the same and can crack and bleed as well (in seriously dry conditions). GO FIND A DOCTOR! MEDIC!!!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top