Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 1:41:14 AM EDT
So here is what Nebraska has been doing...

They will put up signs saying "drug checkpoint ahead", "drug dog in use", etc just before a freeway offramp.

But there is NOT a checkpoint.

Instead, officers observe the traffic at the offramps.  Drug runners will see the signs and panic, exit the freeway, turn around in the median etc...basically do things that add up to reasonable suspicion, or commit traffic violations.

Officers then check these people out.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
And it was probably effective until just this moment..

As soon as it becomes common knowledge that there is no checkpoint they will ignore tose signs like everyone else..
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As soon as it becomes common knowledge that there is no checkpoint they will ignore tose signs like everyone else..

+1  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Criminals are stupid. Other jurisdictions around here periodically do this. They even advertise it on TV and bring the media out. The folks they stop are the ones who see the signs, stand on the brakes and come to a dead, screeching stop on the Interstate, or suddenly veer into the ditch to exit and avoid the checkpoint. Traffic and K9 guys swoop down on such obvious behaviors and  usually find dope.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen this several times in Nebraska, including about a half hour ago. I've never seen it in any other state.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
So whats the big deal? Just don't pack a ton of coke through Nebraska and you should be ok.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So whats the big deal? Just don't pack a ton of coke through Nebraska and you should be ok.

No big deal, I'm hoping they have great success with their mock checkpoints
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
bump
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't this what UPS is for?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok so just bring the hookers and get the blow later
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've seen this several times in Nebraska, including about a half hour ago. I've never seen it in any other state.

Really whereabouts?Not flameing you Its just have lived here all my life and travel across the state often and have never seen one
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

this is a very common tactic which i will not say by which agencys. but alot do this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
And it violates no rights... But I am waiting for someone here to cry how it does.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
We have one on I-44 near where I live.  I keep threatening to empty my car of everything (nothing illegal because I don't have anything illegal anyways) and get off the interstate at the exit it's set up on.  If they want to search my car, tough.  I just want to see what they'll do.  I'm afraid they'll get a warrant and tear up my car for no good reason.  That's why I haven't done it yet.  BTW, I think it's the county sheriff that sets them up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Iowa state patrols have made some big busts too.. millions of dollars..
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
July 2005
U.S. Supreme Court Decisions Posted\Explained in Police Chief Magazine
policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=234&issue_id=32004

General Crime Control Checkpoints
Vehicle checkpoints for general crime control are constitutionally unreasonable.7 At an Indianapolis checkpoint to detect unlawful drugs, each driver was briefly stopped and asked to produce a driver's license and registration. The officer looked for any signs of impairment and conducted a plain view examination of the car. A narcotics detection dog walked around the outside of each vehicle. Each stop was conducted in the same manner and lasted five minutes or less. The Court concluded that a roadblock to check for narcotics was an investigation for general criminal activity. The Court noted:

We decline to suspend the usual requirement of individualized suspicion where the police seek to employ a checkpoint primarily for the ordinary enterprise of investigating crimes. We cannot sanction stops justified only by the generalized ever present possibility that interrogation and inspection may reveal that any given motorist has committed some crime.

Looks like all the other types are still legal, and if they have any pc they WILL get the drug dog
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
They were doing the same thing ten years ago in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]

And it violates no rights... But I am waiting for someone here to cry how it does.

Oh wow a cop who thinks drug road blocks dont violate rights? what a suprise! I thought for a second there you walked around feeling guilty about what you do.
Well guess what, here is something we already knew a long time ago, we could live in a totally criime free country tomorrow! How? Well all we have to do is live in a police state like the soviet Union or Nazi Germany. Problem is most of us (though obviously not all ) are unwilling to give up our rights to do so. I mean the 4th admendment does'nt say "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" now does it? Why don't we just have random "house checks" as well? seems to me to be about the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh wow a cop who thinks drug road blocks dont violate rights? what a suprise! I thought for a second there you walked around feeling guilty about what you do.
Well guess what, here is something we already knew a long time ago, we could live in a totally criime free country tomorrow! How? Well all we have to do is live in a police state like the soviet Union or Nazi Germany. Problem is most of us (though obviously not all ) are unwilling to give up our rights to do so. I mean the 4th admendment does'nt say "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" now does it? Why don't we just have random "house checks" as well? seems to me to be about the same thing.

I thought we were talking about putting up the signs, not actually checkpoints...

Digital
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I thought we were talking about putting up the signs, not actually checkpoints...
Digital

You can never tell where a thread will go.............

please someone tell us about the "innovative" methods they are using to
catch violent offenders and put them in jail before they rape, rob or kill  someone

eta: yeah, I know, most violent criminals are on drugs...........
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really whereabouts?Not flameing you Its just have lived here all my life and travel across the state often and have never seen one

Yesterday morning it was between the Gretna and Greenwood exits.  Previously I saw it near Aurora.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A couple years ago I came across a similar setup in Iowa except it was setup about a mile from a rest area instead of an exit.  I have never touched any drugs but I had a truck full of "evil" firearms that I had taken with me for a July 4th celebration.  The idea of them randomly stopping me pissed me off so I wrote the Tourism department for Iowa and said I didn't appreciate being subject to random searches and I will avoid the state in all future travels.  They wrote back claiming they didn't know anything about drug checkpoint or the signs and referred me to the state police.  The state police also denied any knowledge of the checkpoint or signs.  Obviously this is BS as they have officers who patrol the intersate and would have seen the signs.  I can't say that it violated any of my rights but it also doesn't do any good for improving public vs police relations by putting up non-existant checkpoints and then denying knowing anything about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Read the post you idiot... Does a sign that makes you toss your dope violate your rights? Nope.

You should feel guilty for wasting good air.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple years ago I came across a similar setup in Iowa except it was setup about a mile from a rest area instead of an exit.  I have never touched any drugs but I had a truck full of "evil" firearms that I had taken with me for a July 4th celebration.  The idea of them randomly stopping me pissed me off so I wrote the Tourism department for Iowa and said I didn't appreciate being subject to random searches and I will avoid the state in all future travels.  They wrote back claiming they didn't know anything about drug checkpoint or the signs and referred me to the state police.  The state police also denied any knowledge of the checkpoint or signs.  Obviously this is BS as they have officers who patrol the intersate and would have seen the signs.  I can't say that it violated any of my rights but it also doesn't do any good for improving public vs police relations by putting up non-existant checkpoints and then denying knowing anything about it.

Yeah, they should toss an effective drug fighting tool because you felt bad about an "idea" that was not even realized...

God, it is just like Nazi Germany! The horror! The hoooorrrrrrrrroooorrrrrr!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#24]
What would be funny is, if 50 or 100 people got together, made sure their vehicles were absolutely devoid of  anything remotely illegal, and hit the exit about 1 minute apart.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, they should toss an effective drug fighting tool because you felt bad about an "idea" that was not even realized...

God, it is just like Nazi Germany! The horror! The hoooorrrrrrrrroooorrrrrr!!!!!

So you are saying it's OK for cops to pretend to do someone illegal and unconstitutional as long as they claim some benefit from it?  Perhaps the cops should randomly start serving mock search warrants on peoples house, you know pound on the door yelling "police, search warrant" but not actually going into the house...just to see who runs.  You would probably find that it is an an effective tool in finding all sorts of criminals.

Like I said I don't see where it violates my rights anywhere but if the police are looking for ways to piss the public off even more this is one way to do it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So you are saying it's OK for cops to pretend to do someone illegal and unconstitutional as long as they claim some benefit from it?  Perhaps the cops should randomly start serving mock search warrants on peoples house, you know pound on the door yelling "police, search warrant" but not actually going into the house...just to see who runs.  You would probably find that it is an an effective tool in finding all sorts of criminals.

Like I said I don't see where it violates my rights anywhere but if the police are looking for ways to piss the public off even more this is one way to do it.

The ones who run are criminals.

The ones who don't are well disciplined criminals.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it's clever.   If it bugs the druggies, so much the better!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#28]
These faux 'checkpoints' are far from new. This scheme has been tested in the Courts and has survived scrutiny. I'm sure someone around here has the citation for the case handy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah, and maybe the ATF shoud start putting up signs at the exits before big gun ranges saying "Illegal Gun Search Checkpoint Ahead"

And we could also get INS to put up "Illegal Alien Checkpoint Ahead" signs

And IA can start putting up signs right before the trooper barracks saying "Corrupt Cop Checkpoint Ahead"

I say if we're going fishing why limit ourselves to just one type of fish......................

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top