Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 4:14:47 PM EDT
Why can't the FBI just pay some punks that make virus' and spam to knock out these terrorist internet recruiting sites? I mean seriously. They just had a report on CNN that said over half of the terrorist recruiting comes from their scattered websites. WTH? Why can't the CIA, FBI or whoever just shell out some money to these kid computer wizards to shut these sites down? Dadgum...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You gotta flush them out, what better way?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why can't the FBI just pay some punks that make virus' and spam to knock out these terrorist internet recruiting sites? I mean seriously. They just had a report on CNN that said over half of the terrorist recruiting comes from their scattered websites. WTH? Why can't the CIA, FBI or whoever just shell out some money to these kid computer wizards to shut these sites down? Dadgum...

What makes you think we aren't doing that?  The terrorist sites don't last long, and they have keep changing domains and ISPs lately, for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You gotta flush them out, what better way?

I understand that..but why can't they find the perps while they shitting them down? I mean, it could be a 24 hour operation? I dunno..it just seems too easy to shut the hole that is recruiting the terrorist.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you think we aren't doing that?  The terrorist sites don't last long, and they have keep changing domains and ISPs lately, for some reason.

Good point..I just saw the story on CNN and thought to myself, how can these guys be recruiting half of their schittheads on the net.

I guess they must be on top of this.  I hope.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, I think it has a lot to do with gathering intel.  If you don't crash their sites, you may be able to intercept communications and figure out who the terrorists are, where they are, and who they are trying to recruit....

If they will just pop up another website in half an hour after its crashed...it may be useless trying to shut them down...much better to gather intel that will be used to kill them..

...now if only they could program a JDAM to hunt for an IP address instead of a GPS coordinate...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you remember the Kenyan Hotel bombing, where they also tried to use a surface to air missile to bring down a passenger plane (unsuccessfully)?

I saw a discussion board frequented by terrorists, and the day before, they had a post, which mentioned the hotel by name, saying that tomorrow, a "beautiful flower would bloom there", and other code words that made it clear it was a "go" signal.  The authorities caught it the day after the attack unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Also, I think it has a lot to do with gathering intel.  If you don't crash their sites, you may be able to intercept communications and figure out who the terrorists are, where they are, and who they are trying to recruit....

If they will just pop up another website in half an hour after its crashed...it may be useless trying to shut them down...much better to gather intel that will be used to kill them..

...now if only they could program a JDAM to hunt for an IP address instead of a GPS coordinate...

Except that if it's a computer on a campus or business network or everything is being routed through other people's computers by a tech-savvy shithead...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
heh, why can't CIA just go and start knocking people off like the good old days ?  Too bad we have their hands tied when it comes to assasinating the assholes of the world.  If these terrorist jokers have an IP number, they can be physically located.  So locate them and bag 'em.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Leave the websites up and gather information!  Infiltrate their forums with trolls!  Know their every thought so that we can kill them easier!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
heh, why can't CIA just go and start knocking people off like the good old days ?  Too bad we have their hands tied when it comes to assasinating the assholes of the world.  If these terrorist jokers have an IP number, they can be physically located.  So locate them and bag 'em.  

The CIA does not have its hands tied.  The executive order issued by Jimmy Carter has been overridden by a new executive order issued by President Bush.  We probably took out a number of Saudi Princes in the months after 9/11 because they were funding Al Qaeda, according to some news reports, but we haven't done enough lately, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Go check out Internet Haganah -  haganah.us/haganah/index.html

Aaron does great work hunting down and exposing jihadi websites. So good of a job that the Feds have leaned on him to knock it off a bit, because they aren't as agile.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Go check out Internet Haganah -  haganah.us/haganah/index.html

Aaron does great work hunting down and exposing jihadi websites. So good of a job that the Feds have leaned on him to knock it off a bit, because they aren't as agile.

Interesting page on their site

haganah.us/harchives/004719.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top