Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 3:55:05 PM EDT
And that's a BAD thing according to the police:

Shooting prompts police to caution against confronting armed robbers

The recent attempted holdup of a convenience store that resulted in a gunbattle inside the Shreveport business has police urging residents to be mindful of their actions in such situations.

Luckily, no one was wounded when an armed man wearing a ski mask walked into Citgo in the 5700 block of South Lakeshore Drive in Shreveport about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, police Detective Mike McConnell said.

"The owner was working in the back of the store and heard the doorbell. He looks and sees one person dressed in all black standing behind the counter."

The 52-year-old recognized he was about to be robbed and pulled out a semiautomatic handgun he commonly carried, McConnell said. The unmistakable sound of the owner racking the gun's slide caused the would-be robber to turn and begin firing.

"The suspect fires first and the owner returned fire."

Several shots were exchanged, but no one was hit and nothing was taken from the store, police said.

But that very easily could have not been the case, said Sgt. Kevin Crow, supervisor of the department's tactical robbery unit. "Generally, the only time where people are prone to become violent is when they're met with resistance. You don't have to be trying to get a weapon. It can be any type of resistance or what they feel is resistance."

Police recently reported a 62 percent drop in the number of business armed robberies in Shreveport so far this year when compared with the same time period last year.

But when such incidents occur, Crow said it's important that people remember the safest thing to do is to comply with the robber's demands. "We tell business owners and organizations that we talk with that the people you're dealing with in these types of situations already have a game plan in mind.

"They know what they want to do. They don't want to be in your business any longer than you want them to. They want to get in, get out and get away."

Police acknowledge residents' right to protect themselves, but Crow said sometimes the cost may be too high.

"Anything that slows (a robber) down becomes something they'll have to deal with. And most of the time, they'll deal with it pretty harshly," he said. "And you as a store owner pulling a gun is an obstacle of them getting away."

Sometimes, as in the incident Sunday, such actions seem justified and heroic. It's the other times police are concerned about.

"It's all different when you have a store owner who gets killed and you're thinking, 'Why did this guy get killed for less than $100 in the cash drawer?'" Crow said.

The investigation into the attempted robbery of the convenience store continues, McConnell said. Meanwhile, he reminds people to be cautious if faced with a similar situation.

"Give them what they want. Don't try and fight them. It's better to be out a little bit of money than your life."

Unbelievable.

Ted said it best:

"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. Only a coward would want fewer good guys with guns on the street in today’s world. Only a fool would support—much less design—such a policy of helplessness.”
~ Ted Nugent.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, just wow.  

Just give them what they want and no body gets hurt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]

But when such incidents occur, Crow said it's important that people remember the safest thing to do is to comply with the robber's demands.

I'll start following that cop's advice when I see his officers doing the same.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Total BS!  

That cop has it completely WRONG!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

But when such incidents occur, Crow said it's important that people remember the safest thing to do is to comply with the robber's demands.

I'll start following that cop's advice when I see his officers doing the same.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
BULLSHIT!

I'll be damned if I'm going to risk my safety on the idea that someone who's a CRIMINAL is going to "just leave me alone" if I do what they want.

Hey, if works so Goddamned well then why do cops draw guns when threatened?  We'd have far less violence if the cops were disarmed, then criminals wouldn't have to worry about getting shot and they'd be much nicer to the VICTIMS of their CRIMES to begin with.

Fucking morons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
An obstacle or maybe a fucking dead end.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Total BS!  

That cop has it completely WRONG!

I agree what  a Dumb A$$.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Attention ALL WOMEN: The police want you to submit to rape. You should not fight back. Don't make him angry or he might hurt you. Just give him what he wants and file an insurance claim for what he took from you.

Seems easy enough.  I guess you're even more fucked (no pun intended) if he is a psychopathic killer who just wants to murder you plain and simple.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Give them what they want. Don't try and fight them. It's better to be out a little bit of money than your life."

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]
what a lump of shit this cop is.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sunsite.tus.ac.jp/multimed/pics/animals/sheep.gif

And Shepherds we shall be...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Where are all the police apologists now?

Sounds like a dumbass gooberment PR person talking out their recently-loosened asshole.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
A local waitress my wife befriended just went off on a rant about having a gun.  She apparently believes having one will only bring you trouble.  She thinks you can just let them break in and take your stuff and be better off being passive.  I was kind of stunned but realized it's just her perception.  I just mentioned it wouldn't be that way at my house but it's a personal choice.

She and her boyfriend of 10 years just got married and he didn't want to pay to put her on his insurance so I realize we're not talking about particularly perceptive people.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
They complied

The moral of the story should not be "have a game plan" or "weigh the risks".  The moral of the story should be....

"Carry condition one or don't carry."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I expected intelligent people to stop saying things like that after September 11 too -

Oh wait - I just found the answer - intelligent!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Backed up by what evidence? I've heard this time after time without the slightest attempt to prove it statistically.

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/27/AR2005072700227.html

Atkins was 18 when he and William Jones killed Airman 1st Class Eric Nesbitt, 21, for beer money. Nesbitt was abducted outside a convenience store, forced to withdraw money from an automated teller machine and driven to a desolate road, where he was shot eight times.

I'm sure that Nesbitt had no choice but to do as Crow suggested -leaving your fate to the whim of a cold-hearted murderer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]
We are supposed to rely on the "judgement" and "decency" of someone
that earns their living pointing a gun at people and demanding their money?

Yeah, that makes sense
it is already illegal to arrest illegals
next it will be illegal to resist robbers..........

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They complied
www.neis.org/images/terror1.gif

PRECISELY!

Excellent counterslap.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Logical problem-solving approach.  Criminals are a problem, often a lethal one.  To prevent them from being lethal to you, you neutralize them before they can do the same to you.  Just like any other animal, if it attacks you and can kill you, you kill it or you get killed.  I wonder, has anybody done any research concerning wether or not criminals who get what they want without resistance turn around and attack the same people/businesses again ?  I believe most criminals are rational enough to not do anything outright suicidal most of the time, I think the oft-quoted statistic that 90% of the time, all the victim has to do is draw a gun is indicative of this.  Do what works, everybody knows that guns work.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Over two million people protect themselves from murder, rape, robbery, assault, and other crimes by using a gun. In most cases, merely brandishing the weapon is enough to prevent the attack and force the criminal to flee. Very few cases end with a dead bad guy and a good guy with a smoking gun. Even fewer end with the good guy who resisted dying, especially if he was armed with a gun.

But the authorities and liberals would rather all two million of them were robber, murdered, raped, and otherwise harmed by the scum of society rather than pony up any responsibility for ourselves.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]
What a bunch of fucking horseshit.

Next time I hear about a cop being killed by a criminal, that's going to be my response. "The cops should have complied with the criminal. If the cop hadn't given the murderer any resistence then the murderer wouldn't have had to kill him."

Fuckin' assholes!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
They complied
www.neis.org/images/terror1.gif

The moral of the story should not be "have a game plan" or "weigh the risks".  The moral of the story should be....

"Carry condition one or don't carry."

+1

well put sir..
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What a bunch of fucking horseshit.

Next time I hear about a cop being killed by a criminal, that's going to be my response. "The cops should have complied with the criminal. If the cop hadn't given the murderer any resistence then the murderer wouldn't have had to kill him."

Fuckin' assholes!

That's exactly what I plan to say!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#27]
www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=83

Survey research during the early 1990s by award-winning criminologist Gary Kleck found as many as 2.5 million protective uses of guns each year in the U.S. "(T)he best available evidence indicates that guns were used about three to five times as often for defensive purposes as for criminal purposes," Kleck concluded. Analyzing National Crime Victimization Survey data, he found, "robbery and assault victims who used a gun to resist were less likely to be attacked or to suffer an injury than those who used any other methods of self-protection or those who did not resist at all."

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165199,00.html

Officer Killed in Tenn. Courthouse Shooting

He and his partner  should have just complied.   SGT CROW FROM SPD KNOWS ALL.

If it's good for me, it's good for the police too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top