Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 2:21:21 PM EDT
August 15, 2005

Guardsman busted, fined over Web log comments

By Joseph R. Chenelly
Times staff writer

An Arizona National Guardsman who had been openly critical of the war in Iraq on his Web log has been punished for violating operational security and for 11 counts of disobeying orders, according to Multi-National Corps-Iraq.

Spc. Leonard A. Clark was busted one rank to private first class, fined $820 per month for two months, and sentenced to 45 days’ restriction and 45 days of extra duty. The restriction and extra duty were suspended for five months.

In an unusual move, Multi-National Corps-Iraq released the details of Clark’s Article 15, which is nonjudicial punishment.

In response to a query by a reporter with National Public Radio, Multi-National Corps-Iraq public affairs released a written statement saying Clark had been found guilty of 11 specifications of Article 92, failure to obey an order, and two counts of Article 134, reckless endangerment.

Clark violated Article 92 by “releasing classified information regarding unit soldiers and convoys being attacked or hit by improvised explosive devices on various dates, discussing troop movements on various dates,” according to the statement. He also was found to have released tactics, techniques, procedures and rules of engagement, MNC-Iraq said.

The two Article 134 specifications had to do with releasing specific sensitive information “that the enemy forces could foreseeably access … such that with that information it was likely that the enemy forces could cause death or serious bodily harm to U.S. forces engaged in the same or similar mission,” the statement said.

Clark did not return several e-mails seeking comment.

It is unclear what information was put online. Clark’s blog, www.leonardclark.com/blog, has been taken down.

Kevin Spidel, the site administrator, wrote, “This issue has spurred heated debate on both sides; however, some of the dialogue became very ugly toward each other. This whole matter has become very unclear and ugly. I simply started a site for a fellow Democratic activist in my district, [who] was serving over in Iraq. It was a venue for a fellow activist to connect with the folks at home. It has transpired to much more [than] that. I regret any negative impact that this site may have played.”

In civilian life, Clark is a kindergarten teacher, activist and perennial candidate for public office. In the Guard, he is a member of the 860th Military Police Company. The Arizona Republic newspaper reported that Clark, a Democrat, filed papers to run for the U.S. Senate seat held by Republican Jon Kyl. Clark previously ran for the Arizona House of Representatives and state Senate.

Col. Bill Buckner, the chief of public affairs for Multi-National Corps-Iraq, said the decision to release Article 15 information was made in part because of allegations Clark was making in the media.

Clark’s wife told The Arizona Republic that he told her he was arrested for “having a big mouth about his politics.”

In a post on his site July 5, Clark responded to questions about a report that he is being investigated for his writings.

“Folks, I have decided to write you this e-mail in response to those who are wondering in their own views why I am apparently violating the ‘rules,’” he wrote. “Since I don’t have much time, here is the gist of it: I believe American soldiers (my brothers and sisters) are being killed needlessy [sic] over here in this lie we call ‘the Occupation of Iraq.’”

Clark is the first known case of a blogger getting in trouble since a theaterwide policy went into effect in April requiring all Defense Department personnel who blog from Iraq to register their sites with their commands.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
A Democrap and (I love this one) an "activist", huh? 'Bout says it all, don't ya think?

ETA: I can only imagine what kind of indoctrination his kindergarten students go through.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I am glad they busted his ass.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Dumb shit. He wants all of the benefits without the risk of war.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonderful.  This jackass is part of someone's fire team.  Imagine how happy the others in his company are.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yah, welcome to active duty.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"BTW, you'll take the point."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
He's an MP on the 860th MP Company, a scratch built unit that included some people that probably shouldn't have been included.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
August 15, 2005

Guardsman busted, fined over Web log comments

It's the Time Space continuum- the flux capacitors are working, Marty!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"BTW, you'll take the point."

Don't need his ass on point but a permanant shit burning detail should fit the bill nicely.   I hope he becomes the CSM and 1SG's bitch boy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top