Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 2:05:06 PM EDT
I noticed on the blackwater website that any veteran with four years of military service is eligable to join blackwater. Are regular marines and soldiers part of the blackwater team.  I want to try out after I complete my last year of college and am wondering if I have a shot at joining.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
no one knows anything about blackwater?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The only folks I've talked to about Blackwater were recruited by Blackwater, not the other way around.

However, that's only the guys I've talked to... there are many others!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only folks I've talked to about Blackwater were recruited by Blackwater, not the other way around.

However, that's only the guys I've talked to... there are many others!

They have a website where they give away the application and talk about the academy.  On this same page they give a list of academy dates and basic requirements to join blackwater. I am wondering if they truly accept soldiers and marines who are not special forces.  They say they do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
was a thread around here the other day they are hiring you need at least 3 years active duty to even apply

eta" found the thread here is a link

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=376666
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm having a discussion right now with someone who can answer the question (because I asked it, too). With their permission, I'll post the results, but I can't guarantee when.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
was a thread around here the other day they are hiring you need at least 3 years active duty to even apply

I have basically six years in the army as a 19D(cav scout) and as a 91W(combat medic) is this good enough or do they only want infantry.  I am in great shape run my 2 in 1430 and have an honorable discharge.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm having a discussion right now with someone who can answer the question (because I asked it, too). With their permission, I'll post the results, but I can't guarantee when.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
here is direct link  for their qualifications

www.blackwaterusa.com/academy/
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
here is direct link  for their qualifications

www.blackwaterusa.com/academy/

I meet all  those requirements but that does not really tell me if they only say that they hire anyone with those qualifications but do they actually follow that standard or not.  I am sure most of those guys I see in the videos are ex spec ops. Simplydynamic does not look like a run of the mill soldier or marine he looks ex spec ops.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
YOU MUST MEET OR EXCEED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS: Must have minimum of one (1) year experience in providing protective security services in: special operations,US military special forces, US Secret Service, Department of State Diplomatic Security Service, or commercial executive protection services, law enforcement experience (i.e. US Military Police/Criminal Investigation Division, local & state law enforcement agencies).

PLUS these BSC Requirements:

Must be willing and able to deploy overseas for at least 6 months.
Must be a U.S. Citizen, proof of citizenship required (copy of Blue Tourist Passport)
Must be able to pass a general health physical.
Must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
Weight must be proportionate to height.
Must be able to pass a physical fitness test.
Must present and maintain a neat and clean appearance.
No history of major illness or mental disorder.
Experience must be verifiable, submit a DD-214 or other paperwork that can be
independently verified.
Must have an Honorable Discharge.
Must possess good written and verbal communications skills in English.
No felony or violent crime convictions (NO WAIVERS).
No personal bankruptcy or outstanding credit deliquency within seven years.
No DUI or illegal drug use history within seven years.
No spouse abuse or domestic violence conviction.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
YOU MUST MEET OR EXCEED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS: Must have minimum of one (1) year experience in providing protective security services in: special operations,US military special forces, US Secret Service, Department of State Diplomatic Security Service, or commercial executive protection services, law enforcement experience (i.e. US Military Police/Criminal Investigation Division, local & state law enforcement agencies).

Must be a U.S. Citizen, proof of citizenship required (copy of Blue Tourist Passport)
independently verified.

I plan on joining the police acadamy next cycle so If I do one year of police service I will be eligable?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

independently verified.

so their is a double secret list of requirements.  that they didnt include on the website?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
"so their is a double secret list of requirements. that they didnt include on the website?"

Nope, on their website

Link

Blackwater USA consists of six separate business units: Blackwater Training Center (the largest private firearms and tactical training center in the U. S.), Blackwater Target Systems, Blackwater Security Consulting, Blackwater Aviation Worldwide Services, Blackwater Canine, and Raven Development Group.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Link

so what is the acadamy qualifications for mabye there are two parts of blackwater are you associated with blackwater. I am interested in knowing what the acadamy qualification are for.  Is it possible for anyone to get in from the bottm floor
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, don't know the details to get in the botton so to speak.  I work with these guys from time to time, just passing info.  The info you need should be on the website.

ETA spelling
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I knew they had a couple helos.  Are they building a contrator navy too??
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I can absolutely assure you that there are peopleworking for Blackwater who do not meet the requirements listed on the Blackwater website.

If you are interested in employment with them, submit a resume, if they need to fill enough slots you will get hired, just like any other company.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Sorry, don't know the details to get in the botton so to speak.  I work with these guys from time to time, just passing info.  The info you need should be on the website.

ETA spelling

Thanks for the help.  I dont know why special forces would need to take an acadamy class
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can absolutely assure you that there are peopleworking for Blackwater who do not meet the requirements listed on the Blackwater website.

If you are interested in employment with them, submit a resume, if they need to fill enough slots you will get hired, just like any other company.

absolutely! just call them or email them. their hr people are decent approachable folks! they ain't gonna go all sweet ninja on your ass and fly through the air cutting off heads...yeesh!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
A word about "Blackwater"

I guy in my old unit applied with them last year, even drove out to their facilities for an interview that they asked him to while he was on vacation. He is recently retired US Secret Service and was Special Forces before that...He is now 45 years old but could kick most guys asses half his age. He is clean cut and polished and was even on "Eagle Team" for part of his SS time...Top-shelf LEO all the way.

ANYWHO...He came back SEVERELY disilliusioned about Blackwater and said that instead of an interview, they spent the whole time trying to sell him on a "class" that (only) cost about $5k. (He knows more than most of the so-called "instructors" there.) He said that, in his humble opinion, they were probably making more money off of selling their "class" to wanna-be's and selling T-shirts to more wanna-be's than they were in the PSC field.

Even the guys I know that are currently working as PSC's for DynCorp and Triple Canopy say that Blackwater is full of shi'ite.

just callin' it the way I'm seein' it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Why not just give them a phone call and get it straight from the source?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Because that would require motivation and initiative!!!  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
friend of mine who's been looking at being picked up said that they will take regular grunts but only if you graduate from their academy, which waives their special forces requirement.  That's just what he told me, so I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I plan on joining the police acadamy next cycle so If I do one year of police service I will be eligable?

Only if you work for one year in your departments protective detail.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Buddy of mine was offered a job with Blackwater.  He was regular Army(though he did do a 2 year stint with the Langley folks).

Pretty much if you have the Military background, and you fit their model, you can get a job there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A word about "Blackwater"

I guy in my old unit applied with them last year, even drove out to their facilities for an interview that they asked him to while he was on vacation. He is recently retired US Secret Service and was Special Forces before that...He is now 45 years old but could kick most guys asses half his age. He is clean cut and polished and was even on "Eagle Team" for part of his SS time...Top-shelf LEO all the way.

ANYWHO...He came back SEVERELY disilliusioned about Blackwater and said that instead of an interview, they spent the whole time trying to sell him on a "class" that (only) cost about $5k. (He knows more than most of the so-called "instructors" there.) He said that, in his humble opinion, they were probably making more money off of selling their "class" to wanna-be's and selling T-shirts to more wanna-be's than they were in the PSC field.

Even the guys I know that are currently working as PSC's for DynCorp and Triple Canopy say that Blackwater is full of shi'ite.

just callin' it the way I'm seein' it...

While I'm sure your friend is highly qualified, and probably more qualified than many of their instructors, I think the class is Blackwater's attempt to make sure all their "contractors" are at the same level of proficiency and to make sure all their contractors have a base level of knowledge that would allow them to operate as a team. After all there are as many ways of doing things as there are instructors and academies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
friend of mine who's been looking at being picked up said that they will take regular grunts but only if you graduate from their academy, which waives their special forces requirement.  That's just what he told me, so I don't know for sure.

That is my understanding of what the website says.

If you are a high speed SF type, you can become a sercurity contractor with them right away.

If you were in the military for 4 years or more, you can apply to go to the academy(which you pay for), and upon graduation you will be offered a two year job with this as a contractor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wiseass!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I noticed on the blackwater website that any veteran with four years of military service is eligable to join blackwater.

That is sort of a minimum qualification.

Are regular marines and soldiers part of the blackwater team.

Do you mean as Contractors? I believe you will indeed find Marines and normal grunts working as contractors, though their training and background might not be "ordinary". (Armorers, etc...)

I want to try out after I complete my last year of college and am wondering if I have a shot at joining.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
While I'm sure your friend is highly qualified, and probably more qualified than many of their instructors, I think the class is Blackwater's attempt to make sure all their "contractors" are at the same level of proficiency and to make sure all their contractors have a base level of knowledge that would allow them to operate as a team. After all there are as many ways of doing things as there are instructors and academies.

Bingo.

Anyone can show up with lots of credentials.

But it is while in the class environment that they get to see what those credentials actually mean. Hard to function as a team when you don't know how the individuals work. There is also some stuff that they have learned and know about the specific situations that would be valuable to learn before going....

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is my understanding of what the website says.

If you are a high speed SF type, you can become a sercurity contractor with them right away.

If you were in the military for 4 years or more, you can apply to go to the academy(which you pay for), and upon graduation you will be offered a two year job with this as a contractor.

SF has a skill set that tends to apply more to the contracting situation. But even then, there are limits.

An Airforce PJ, for instance, has a lot of skills that are extremely valuable, but EP work is not something they have trained to do. Thus a course in the basics of EP would be beneficial to them. Ditto someone who has had EP training needing to be taught on navigation and the like. The academy classes are there to round out whatever additional skills are necessary for the various missions over there.

The mission can change in a heartbeat and everyone has to be flexible enough in the skill set to do the job, and to do it the way that everyone else will be doing it.

Very few people are going to come out of the services or out of LE, even recently, and have all the skills necessary to do the job in a place like Iraq.

A firefight like the one in Najaf is the wrong place to find out where a guy's deficiencies are.

Lots of people have lots of opinions about the BW contractors. But you also must figure in that

1. Other companies are going for the contracts that BW is winning.
2. BW is recent at all this, and doesn't get a lot of respect from a lot of more "established" organizations.
3. Every individual who works for the company is not necessarily a reflection of the company. Everybody hires the occasional idiot.
4. Personal rivalries and dislikes happen even amongst elite "operators".

BW got into the contractor buisness because the BW founder had contacts and people who noticed how good their trainers were started asking about getting them to do "other" types of work. BW expanded to fill a demand that was there. They do it pretty well, too.

Paul Bremmer is still alive, isn't he? That isn't by accident.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I knew some soldiers that worked supply. I don't think they would be high speed enough for Blackwater or any similar company looking for hard chargers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I knew some soldiers that worked supply. I don't think they would be high speed enough for Blackwater or any similar company looking for hard chargers.

Thats why there is a selection process.  I'm sure some supply guys could hack it... the best squad leader I ever had reclassed to infantry from supply.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#36]
You should ask SIMPLYDYNAMIC.  As a PMC in Iraq, I'm sure he dould know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#37]
If you look cool in Oakleys, they'll take you!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Who do you think I'm waiting for a reply from?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Be sure to scream "N-Words!" at the interview.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

please im me when you find out
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

these are not the guys they are looking for.......
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

these are not the guys they are looking for.......

they could tell me anything I want to know from sombody who works there what the chances really are for non spec ops working on contracts
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#43]
You don't have to be Special Forces, but you shouldn't be special education either.  A cool headed guy who can think, move, shoot, and remain transparant to the user is an asset.

The last selection class I went through had 40% GTG.  If your GTG, then you will pass, if your not GTG, then the instructors send you home.  You really need to take some serious self-reflection before making the leap into contractor world.  Some guys who showed up looked great on creds, but then went unqualified on the M4.  They weren't honest with themselves.  Some guys showed up with an attitude and they went home.  Then there were the really nice guys, but nice by itself doesn't keep people alive.

You will need some of the right creds, but ability is more important than pedigree.

I suggest if one is interested in the contracting business to LURK (not post) around the SOCNET forums.          

Don't PM me with questions and advice, I'm just a pogue.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wiseass!

Seriously - what are you applying for?  Does your time in Nuevo Laredo qualify you for security work in Khost or Fallujah?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My comment was directed towards bloodmoon.

Glad to see you had the initiative to ask him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#46]
No, you don't have to be special forces. Although that would help. Yes, you have to pay to go through the academy and it is very rigorous. Many do not pass qualifications and do not advance in the classes. After passing the requirements you are offered a position as a private contractor.  Blackwater should be thought of as a rental facility. Contract comes to them and says I need X number of people who can do X amount of work with X qualifications. Blackwater creates a list of contractors who fill that requirement and they are asked to return for a training sesson in which they must prove that they can do said qualifications while under review of the company needing the contractor. If they are satisfied then off you go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top