Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 1:52:19 PM EDT
police really did shoot the pooch dam. and get this shit mistaken adress asshole cop.

poor kids in the community all loved the dog and it was murdered.

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/080805_local_dogshot.html

ABC13 Eyewitness News
(8/08/05 - LA PORTE, TX) — A young boy is without his best friend after the family's German Shepherd was shot and killed by police. An investigation is underway into what led up to this tragedy

The family, neighbors, and friends are all devastated. They don't understand how a mistaken address could lead a La Porte police officer to shoot the family dog. Now an internal affairs.

"There's never going to be a dog like him again," mourned Dillon McJunkin, Duke's owner.
Dillon has shed a lot of tears in the last two days. The 14-year-old saw his beloved German Shepherd Duke shot dead in his front yard on Saturday night. It all began when a neighbor called police for an unrelated matter. But one police car stopped in front of the McJunkin's home.

Dillon recalled, "The cop stopped there, and Duke looked at him, and then ran to my mom. And (the officer) shot him twice."

Kay McJunkin, Dillon's mother, explained, "He asked what the address was, and when I told him, he realized he was at the wrong place. And he said he felt threatened by the dog and that I should have had an address posted on my house, and this would have never happened if he knew he was at the wrong address."

The police report tells a different story, saying the dog was actually going toward the officer when the dog was shot. That's why the police department has ordered a full investigation.

"We'll send an investigator out to investigate the whole matter," promised La Porte Police Chief Richard Reff. "It's a use of force issue. Any time we discharge a weapon, whether it's defending yourself against a dog or anything else, it requires a use of force investigation."

Dillon is understandably angry.

"That cop, I hate him, I just hate him," he vented to Eyewitness News.

But no matter what the outcome of the investigation, Duke is gone and his loss is devastating for every child in the neighborhood.

Neighbor Lee Simpson said, "It hurts. I never thought anything like this would happen."

"(Duke) used to always shake hands and do high fives, and he was always cute," recalled family member Kylee Windhan.

If the officer is found to have used excessive force he could face some sort of disciplinary action.

Meanwhile, Duke's family is preparing a memorial for its beloved pet this Saturday and a lot of kids in the neighborhood plan to be there.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it's because I was raised around dogs all my life, but I've never really felt threatened by any dog. And I've lived in a neighborhood full of crack addicts and rotties. I've had dogs charge me, but if I wasn't on their property, they don't continue.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
As much as I enjoy pets, I find it distasteful when folks assign "human" value to them.

They are JUST animals.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
ATF?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe it's because I was raised around dogs all my life, but I've never really felt threatened by any dog. And I've lived in a neighborhood full of crack addicts and rotties. I've had dogs charge me, but if I wasn't on their property, they don't continue.

me to and if i read it right the DOG was on its own property going towards its owner not the cop. i hope they can figure something out to do im not suprised the cop went to the wrong adress nothing new with them.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Right after I got hired I went on a warrant run with an older officer so that he could "show me around."  Well, Officer Muckenfuch goes tearing up the street at a high rate of speed, fishtails into the front yard, and we jump out.  As we are approaching the house, I look at the address and notice that it's different than what we are looking for.  We left pretty quickly.
I learned right there to always make sure of where you're going.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As much as I enjoy pets, I find it distasteful when folks assign "human" value to them.

They are JUST animals.  

THAT SAYS TONS ABOUT WHO YOU REALLY ARE
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
So police can now use deadly force when they feel “threatened ”… with no evidence they were and plenty they were not.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I disagree with your thinking. Who are you to judge how much I value my animal compared to some random person I dont know.

They are JUST animals.  

People are just animals too.

Why should I care for any random person over an animal that I know.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So police can now use deadly force when they feel “threatened ”… with no evidence they were and plenty they were not.

scary isnt it. thing is the dog was shot right in front of thoses kids can you say therapy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Right after I got hired I went on a warrant run with an older officer so that he could "show me around."  Well, Officer Muckenfuch goes tearing up the street at a high rate of speed, fishtails into the front yard, and we jump out.  As we are approaching the house, I look at the address and notice that it's different than what we are looking for.  We left pretty quickly.

good on you m24 where are you a cop at in texas maybe they need to send you to that town and teach them look before you shoot
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
what is it with the government and dogs?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
When are people going to start spelling Texas correctly?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are JUST animals.  

The POINT would be, "Yeah, but it was MY gd dog."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Sue the city and charge them for therapy for the kids. I'm pretty sure the mayor will send a memo to the PC about using deadly force in situations where it isn't necessary..

BTW This makes me blood boil. Especially GSDs, they're my favorite dogs of all time.

ben
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sue the city and charge them for therapy for the kids. I'm pretty sure the mayor will send a memo to the PC about using deadly force in situations where it isn't necessary..

BTW This makes me blood boil. Especially GSDs, they're my favorite dogs of all time.

ben

thats alot of kids to the dog was well liked by all the kids in the commuinty.

dam sheppards are not known for aggressivness so maybe someone should go shoot the cops dog and see how he likes it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good on you m24 where are you a cop at in texas maybe they need to send you to that town and teach them look before you shoot

No thanks.  I grew up in South Texas and a lot of my family live in Sweat City, sorry Mosquitoville, damn, did it again, Swamptown, crap, I mean Houston.  I will not live there.  Much happier in the northern reaches of the Chicken Fried Nation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Its high time we start requiring intelligence tests for cops.  Things like this just smakc of this guy being a down right idiot.

Just because a dog runs towards you doesn't mean its going to attack; and even if it is, most dogs will back down if you raise your voice etc, or respond with NON VIOLENT agressive moves.  You'd think cops out being cops and doing cop things would know how dogs react.  Guess officer dumbass didn't.

Anyone shoots my dogs, its like shooting one ofthe family.  Dogs are PACK animals and I'm the pack leader.  I'd sue the cop personally in civil court for monetary damages.  My dogs love me and look to me to feed them, shelter them and PROTECT them.  They return this with love and loyalty.

There is a reason Dogs are called mans best friend.  Dogs have been mans companion for thousands of years, if not millions (I foget how long ago before man wasn't homo sapiens).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are JUST animals.  

THAT SAYS TONS ABOUT WHO YOU REALLY ARE

What does it say?

Treat animals well and don't abuse them, but if they die, you can get another one for free.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]
That's just doggone terrible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Just because a dog runs towards you doesn't mean its going to attack

But often it does mean they're going to attack.  They're animals.  They can't be completely controlled, and they will often do unexpected things.  Do you really think we pay cops enough that they should be required to allow animals to attack them?  That is unreasonable.z
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
DUPE - ok... so we have wrong address and a dead dog...  

userweb.suscom.net/~fight4yourrights/pictures/Dupe%20Police.jpg

next time you accuse someone of a dupe thread see who started the first one

the thread you linked was started after this one

Posted :: 8/8/2005 8:11:53 PM CDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Just because a dog runs towards you doesn't mean its going to attack

But often it does mean they're going to attack.  They're animals.  They can't be completely controlled, and they will often do unexpected things.  Do you really think we pay cops enough that they should be required to allow animals to attack them?  That is unreasonable.z

I think we pay them enough to find the correct address. If the cop knew his beat then the dog wouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Secondly, it doesn't "often" mean a dog is going to attack. I would say in 100 times of a dog running at a person less than 5 times, probably more like 1 time in a hundred, will they attack. Not to mention the dog gives nonverbal clues, just like humans, as to what they are going to do. Barking is not an indicator. You get plenty of notice when they attack.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Dupe Try over here.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=377666
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top