Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 1:41:00 PM EDT
I have a 1995 Ford F-150 with dual fuel tanks ...... does each tank have it's own internal fuel pump?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 90 F-150 and both tanks have their own fuel pump and mine ran around 80 bucks at Auto Zone when I replaced mine a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they do and 2 sending units also.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the rear one being a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yes one in each tank.

the rear one is a royal pain in the ass to change

Well, thats good, because the front one is the one that quit on me this morning.

But, the tank is full, so that sucks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I think my switching unit is fubar'd ..... sometimes it runs on the front and sometimes it doesnt. When I run from the rear tank it pumps fuel into the front tank.

If I have to replace the fuel pumps, i will just remove the bed to gain access.  

I'm going to check the switching unit first ....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Minor thread hijack...  My wife had borrowed my '94 F150 and didn't know about switching the tanks.  She kept insisting that she put gas in it but the gauge wasn't showing anything in the tank.  She kept putting gas in the one tank, not even noticing the other fuel cap door.  I'm surprised she didn't run out of gas on the tank she was using.  Once I showed her the switch, all she said was 'So!'
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Skid,

If fuel is transferring from one tank to the other, it is probably the fuel tank selector valve located on the frame rail.

If the plunger does not move completly from the valve opening between the tanks, fuel will flow from one tank to the other. R&R the valve assembly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Skid,

If fuel is transferring from one tank to the other, it is probably the fuel tank selector valve located on the frame rail.

If the plunger does not move completly from the valve opening between the tanks, fuel will flow from one tank to the other. R&R the valve assembly.

Did you see my update post ?  "I think my switching unit is fubar'd"

We are on the same page ..... GMTA ...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#11]
GMTA?

Guam Mass Transit Authority?

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
GMTA?

Guam Mass Transit Authority?

WTF?

Great Minds Think Alike .... but apparently not always!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
they can, my Dad's old 92 F150 (long box extended cab) had dual fuel pumps...   My sister's and I had it as a driving vehicle, when the fuel pump on the rear tank went he did not tell us, my youngest sister filled up the wrong tank and had no money left for fuel afterwards....   Just made it home and ripped into Dad for not telling her the tank was dead

I thought it was funny, easily fixed though Dad did not bother for a few years, said one tank was good enough
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Just FYI we now have a "Cars and Bikes" forum for topics like this.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just FYI we now have a "Cars and Bikes" forum for topics like this.

Ooops, I didn't notice .... wouldn't bother me if it got moved ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top