Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 11:23:13 AM EDT
Well, not THAT much of a punishment, but seriously - you go to the grocery store/Wallie World, all you need are a few items.

Now, I understand that sometimes the 20 item rule is bent (and sometimes seriously broken - would you believe that I questioned that one time with a clerk, who had just rung up 50 items for a woman in front of me.  After she left, I asked the clerk about that, and he said that management has told them they cannot confront or enforce the 20 item rule.  Nice - why even have a Fast Lane then?)

However, you get your shit, you are standing there, and the dumb bitch (it's always a woman) wait till all the items are rung up, digs her coupons out, and THEN after everything is rung up pulls her check book out and starts filling it out.  She asks again how much it comes to, checks her balance, starts writing shit down and doing math on her balance, then goes back to filling out the check, waits till she subtracts the amount from her register, then hands the check over.  Oh, and then has to show her ID.

I think the fast checkout lanes should only take cash, credit cards, and debit cards.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, it takes a whole 30 seconds to write a check.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes !

...and no shit. Your waiting in line, you can fill out your fucking check info while waiting. I think in a que, checks should be forbidden for any transaction under $250.00.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Always been a pet peeve of mine…

IS THERE ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET a woman that knows you can start to fill out the check BEFORE the final total is rung up on the cash register?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've seen many a time when credit cards & debt cards take longer than a check.

Is this going to turn into a woman bashing thread

If so IBTL
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
i think at my local grocery stores, the express lanes say "cash or credit only"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

IS THERE ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET a woman that knows you can start to fill out the check BEFORE the final total is rung up on the cash register?

Seriously - that is my biggest pet peeve - write the damn thing out before hand, and then just fill in the amount.

Nope, didn't intend this to be a woman bashing thread, but when's the last time you saw a MAN doing what I described?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Florida, here I come!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes especially since China mart has the Machine that fills out the check for you now and it is everybit as quick as using a Debit card.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Florida, here I come!

I wish they wouldn't accept checks ANYWHERE anymore.  They should be used for paying bills only, or paying for large ticket items.  PERIOD.

When I go to visit my brother in South Dakota...they pay for EVERYTHING with a check.  Pizza Hut accepts Personal checks out there.  WTF?

And don't get me started on the 10 items or less lines being abused.  I was behind a woman who couldn't even speak english, had 33 items, and wanted to pay by check, but she didn't have a courtesy card.  The checkout clerk should have just SENT her to the courtesy desk, but no, she walked her over there, waited with her, and then came back when it was discovered she didn't really want to pay by check, she had cash, just didn't understand the question.  Turns out she was Cape Verdian, and didn't even understand SPANISH.
So then, her son comes over after she gets all checked out, with one more item.  They asked me if she could just pay for that one thing.  I said NO!  I've been waiting a long time, she had way more items than she should have had, and she should have to wait in line again.  The clerk said, "for one item???"(like I'm being the wicked witch of the west here...and all the people behind me that were complaining, were all of a sudden looking elsewhere). ... I said, hell!  I have 3 items, and I've been waiting for a half hour!  But I let her go.  I wanted to just throw the stuff on the ground and walk away, but it was dinner for that night.

GRRRR.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes especially since China mart has the Machine that fills out the check for you now and it is everybit as quick as using a Debit card.

Won't work with my checks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If so IBTL

let's avoid the generalizations, guys....not all women are stupid and pathetic...mmkay?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Generally NO Hell NO, but I've been to a few markets that when there is no one in the "Express" line, and nobody in sight,  they will call somebody over from the regular line.  And that person not only has a glunch of stuff they have to pay with a check.  The clerk says "No Problem" and about half way through the order 15 small quick orders magically appear.

I don't mind a check then, but somebody getting in WHEN POSTED and not invited by the clerk, yeah, drag them back to the baler.

How about being at Home Despot and the guy ahead of you has a few items that don't scan?  Aint that fun?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#13]
one of my peeves, the asshats wait until the last minute to fill every thing out, then there's the "can I see some ID" question, and more fishing for id, then clerk initials the check, etc.  Wasted time for everyone involved
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#14]
In addition to the express lane, they need a "Person in a hurry" lane: 5 items or less, cash only.

And I wish Walmart would move the express lanes to somewhere other than the cigarette counter, since its no longer the express lane when a smoker shows up with his cart full of goods and needs some odd carton of cigs the clerk cant find.

Quoted:

You've obviously never seen a real-world clerk attempt to use that machine, it only seems to be able to scan the check correctly about 40% of the time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't even know where my checkbook is.  

Who uses checks anymore?  Does your computer still say 386 on it?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
when's the last time you saw a MAN doing what I described?

WHY THE HELL IS THAT???
you are absolutely 1000% right! and they usually have to hunt through their frigging purse to get it, piling shit up on that funky little shelf at the register...

and it DOES take longer cuz just about everywhere they make you show a second id when paying by check, then the clerk has to go over the whole frigging thing with a magnifying glass and a finetooth comb to make sure it's not a counterfeit or forgery, then they call the goddam manager over as they try to figger out how to run it through the check-rite machine to get it approved by the bank...aaarrrggghhh!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#17]
The only line I refuse to use in retail stores is the self-checkout line.  I dislike the fact that a computer has taken a job from a person.  I'll tolerate having to deal with the slow checkout lady, and slow people before I'll use those lines.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#18]
People that still write checks at the Grocery store in any lane should be killed.  How fucking retarded can you be?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wish they wouldn't accept checks ANYWHERE anymore.  They should be used for paying bills only, or paying for large ticket items.  PERIOD.

AMEN, Brother!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
The grocery store where I shop has two "fast" lanes side-by-side.
One is a 10 items max cash only for the people who need to get and go.  The other is a 20 item max but no payment type restriction.  All the other lanes are for the people pushing the frieght haulers...

This setup seems to work very well, I can't ever remember getting stuck behind a check writer in the cash only lane.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't get that excited over that kinda stuff. No paying with foodstamps and then cash for your beer and cigs, I get pissed and usually make a loud commment. For instance ( I gotta work harder now, look at all the groceries you just bought with my money) etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1

another thing that makes me want to pull the pin on a frag...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, fuck those self-check out aisles. The people just stand there and stare blankly at the machine, as if they didn't know there was not a cashire there.  Then, a customer service assistance comes over to hold their hand during the transaction. Completely defeating the purpose of the damn machine.

I don't really care about waiting in line: be it the express line or the normal lines, I can always look at the girlies or read the news about "Bat Boy", or the worlds fattest baby.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I almost make it a game, when I check out either with a human or the self-checkout lane.  Don't talk to me, don't ask me how my fucking day was (like you care!), scan my items, here's my credit card, let me go.

When I do the self-checkout, I race the clock to see how fast I can scan, swipe card, enter PIN, and snatch receipt.

I have a limited amount of time on this planet, and standing behind some dumb bimbo who won't launch into the 21st century and use a goddamned debit card pisses me off.

I mean, seriously, there are people out there that still don't even have a fucking checking or savings account!  I ran into them all the time when I was selling insurance!  I would save them $800 a year on their insurance, and they would say, "Can I come by your office or send you a money order?"  NO!  Don't you have a fucking savings account?  $800 a year!  And they refused to get a savings or checking account.

Mr. Clean, I love you man - in a non-sexual way, of course.  I'm getting to where I'm going to start saying shit like that, too, when this happens.  Those fuckers SHOULD feel embarassed for wasting our tax dollars.  Useless shitstains on the underwear of society.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#25]
what kind of  still writes checks anyways???  

they should be exterminated on site.

and yes, I'm an impatient MF'er at the store too.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
what kind of  still writes checks anyways???  

they should be exterminated on site.

and yes, I'm an impatient MF'er at the store too.

Amen, brother, amen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Checks are obsolete for all purposes except paying bills by mail and moving large amounts of money.  Anybody rude enough to use one when there's people in line behind them should be drawn and quartered on-site by cars in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#28]
How else are they suppose to get all those items when they're broke if they can't float a check?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Have one men-only lane and ALL of the rest can be women-only.

(guess which one will move faster?)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Who uses checks anymore?  Does your computer still say 386 on it?

+1.  Since my condo association went to EFT, I don't have to write ANY checks for my mortgage, utility bills, etc.  

Also, with my Citibank card paying 5% cash rebates on grocery store expenditures, why would I want to use a check?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yes !

...and no shit. Your waiting in line, you can fill out your fucking check info while waiting. I think in a que, checks should be forbidden for any transaction under $250.00.

+1 and credit card in a cash only lane!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]
My buddies don't even like to go to the store for me if we need to get things for cooking out.  I really hate conversationalists blockin the aisles and will not hesitate to tell them so as I reach for the ground beef and pork steaks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of you guy's are wound way to tight!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Have one men-only lane and ALL of the rest can be women-only.

(guess which one will move faster?)

I'll take that bet.  I could make a lot of money.

Seriously, another thing that pisses me off?

Go to any Wal-Mart with an Auto center (where they do your tires, oil, etc.) and there is always some moron checking out with all of their damn groceries, etc. right at the counter where you are supposed to pay for your auto repairs/tires/oil change.  Oh, don't mind me!  I've just been waiting here for 10 minutes to pay for my oil change so I can fucking leave, but you go right ahead and get your 2 weeks of groceries and pay with your fucking check.

ARGH.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Some of you guy's are wound way to tight!

BigDozer66

How hard is it to begin writing the check when your cart is being emptied? Have your ID ready, checked filled out except for numbers. Common fucking courtesy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well, not THAT much of a punishment, but seriously - you go to the grocery store/Wallie World, all you need are a few items.

Now, I understand that sometimes the 20 item rule is bent (and sometimes seriously broken - would you believe that I questioned that one time with a clerk, who had just rung up 50 items for a woman in front of me.  After she left, I asked the clerk about that, and he said that management has told them they cannot confront or enforce the 20 item rule.  Nice - why even have a Fast Lane then?)

However, you get your shit, you are standing there, and the dumb bitch (it's always a woman) wait till all the items are rung up, digs her coupons out, and THEN after everything is rung up pulls her check book out and starts filling it out.  She asks again how much it comes to, checks her balance, starts writing shit down and doing math on her balance, then goes back to filling out the check, waits till she subtracts the amount from her register, then hands the check over.  Oh, and then has to show her ID.

I think the fast checkout lanes should only take cash, credit cards, and debit cards.

Rant off.

+1.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Whats a "check"?

I use an ATM for everything, fast and easy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Retailers should jsut stop accepting checks, or have a seperate line for check writers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If so IBTL

let's avoid the generalizations, guys....not all women are stupid and pathetic...mmkay?

I have never seen a guy pulling the kind of shit like in your story above, and have seen plenty of women with similr antics. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but evidence nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
"There's an interesting story behind this nickel.  In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast.  I set the toaster to three, medium brown."
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]
How about the Blue Hair with the coin purse that has to count out the exact change in the lowest denomination available? $1.95? Here comes 35 pennies, 4 nickles, 4 quarters, and 4 dimes. Takes them about 6 minutes because they have to tell everyone that will listen about their latest surgery or bowel malady.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top