Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
EDIT: Interesting how slimey the left is becoming by forming "hunting" groups to help take away 2nd amendment rights.  

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/news/archive/local_22121330.shtml

Area police stand against concealed carry

By Lee Reinsch
[email protected]

Some local law enforcement agencies are joining the Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort against a new concealed-carry act even before it’s introduced.

“We are not anti-gun, anti-hunter or anti-NRA,” Green Bay Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle said at a press event held by WAVE at the Brown County Courthouse in Green Bay. “This is an officer-safety issue and a community-safety issue. Green Bay, Appleton and Brown County are very safe communities, and concealed carry is a very dangerous proposition.”

Sen. Dave Zien, R-Eau Claire, said he plans to finish drafting the Personal Protection Act “in a couple of weeks.” It would give “law-abiding citizens over the age of 21” with no felony record or violent misdemeanors the right to carry a concealed weapon upon undergoing a training and safety course comparable to that offered by the National Rifle Association, he said.

But Jeri Bonavia of Milwaukee, president of WAVE, doesn’t think it’s a good idea.

“Arming more people with more guns is not going to make us safer,” Bonavia said.

Bonavia said she comes from a family that hunts and uses guns and isn’t against their use.

“There are so many reasonable things that we could do with respect to gun laws, such as require criminal background checks for gun transfers,” she said.

Some other solutions WAVE suggests:

• Giving law enforcement an effective fingerprinting system to trace guns used in homicides and other shootings.

• Tightening up the law to make sure assault weapons and sniper rifles designed for military use aren’t marketed and sold to the public.

• Closing loopholes that allow under-age people to purchase handguns.

• Including guns in consumer-safety regulations so the making, distributing and selling of them are overseen.

Appleton Police Chief Richard Myers called the concealed-carry issue “political” and said if Wisconsin does pass a concealed carry act, the public could expect “a more aggressive style in policing.”

“If we already have such safe communities, why would we want to change that?” Myers said.

If it does become legal to carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin, “expect to see a more aggressive style of policing,” Myers said.

Currently 46 states allow people to carry concealed weapons, Zien said.

“(To allow) law-abiding citizens, who are trained in protecting themselves, (to carry concealed weapons) is common sense. What has happened in other states is the ‘angelic factor’ — the criminals, druggies and wackies don’t commit crimes because they don’t know who’s armed and who’s not. In every state that has passed this law, there has been a dramatic decrease in crime,” Zien said.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
So many points to bring up with this article.  But I'm mostly drawn to this,

“expect to see a more aggressive style of policing,”

WTF does the chief mean by that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesus titty fucking Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Including guns in consumer-safety regulations so the making, distributing and selling of them are overseen.

What the fuck do these people think the fucking BATFE is for?!?!?!?  These fuckwads have obviously never bought a gun in their lives, have they?  Permits, waiting periods, 4473's, those don't count as "oversight"?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]

• Tightening up the law to make sure assault weapons and sniper rifles designed for military use aren’t marketed and sold to the public.

What's a "sniper rifle?"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

“We are not anti-gun, anti-hunter or anti-NRA,” Green Bay Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle said at a press event held by WAVE at the Brown County Courthouse in Green Bay.

“This is an officer-safety issue and a community-safety issue. Green Bay, Appleton and Brown County are very safe communities, and concealed carry is a very dangerous proposition.”

Why?  If they are safe, you should trust the people there to carry guns.

“Arming more people with more guns is not going to make us safer,” Bonavia said.

Then the converse must be true - so disarm the Police.

“There are so many reasonable things that we could do with respect to gun laws, such as require criminal background checks for gun transfers,” she said.

CCW permits INVOLVE background checks

• Giving law enforcement an effective fingerprinting system to trace guns used in homicides and other shootings.

Been tried, millions of $$ wasted, doesnt' work.

Those labels are irrelevant.   Those guns aren't being used by criminals in significant numbers, and the monikers are false anyway.

?? what loopholes are those?

• Including guns in consumer-safety regulations so the making, distributing and selling of them are overseen.

Already have the ATF doing that.

Appleton Police Chief Richard Myers called the concealed-carry issue “political” and said if Wisconsin does pass a concealed carry act, the public could expect “a more aggressive style in policing.”

A threat, chief?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bonavia said she comes from a family that hunts and uses guns and isn’t against their use.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
“Arming more people with more guns is not going to make us safer,” Bonavia said....

Bonavia's statement is probably true but so is the converse - Allowing qualified people to carry guns is not going to make people LESS safe either.

If allowing people more freedom does no harm, then it's fundamentally good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotta love that first quote.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's a "sniper rifle?"

A .50 Cal BMG is a sniper rifle didnt you know????????  Its been on ALL the TV stations.  I mean you can use them to shoot down a commercial airliner for christs sake.  Think of the children.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Ask him:

Appleton Police Department

Chief of Police
Richard W Myers

222 S Walnut St
Appleton, Wisconsin 54911
(920)832-5500
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a "sniper rifle?"

A .50 Cal BMG is a sniper rifle didnt you know????????  Its been on ALL the TV stations.  I mean you can use them to shoot down a commercial airliner for christs sake.  Think of the children.  

Well, then I'll have to find a .338 Lapua to do the job won't I
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Jesus titty fucking Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Including guns in consumer-safety regulations so the making, distributing and selling of them are overseen.

What the fuck do these people think the fucking BATFE is for?!?!?!?  These fuckwads have obviously never bought a gun in their lives, have they?  Permits, waiting periods, 4473's, those don't count as "oversight"?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/airwolf144/head-up-ass.jpg

Immaterial. These people are the types who are trying to introduce Massachusetts style gun laws, complete with consumer law restrictions on what kind of gun, and what must be sold with a gun -such as triggerlocks- to Wisconsin and the REST of America. It won't work on the Fed. level, but they might be able to do it on a state level.

Massachusetts style gun laws- coming to a state near you- like yours??
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

= "Shoot first, ask questions later. Any potential perp or traffic stop might be armed. Blame the 'gun lobby' for any deaths, not us. We're just trying to protect the public ourselves"

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Fine... disallow WI LEOs from carrying concealed when off-duty, and make it so they are not covered by the national reciprocity CCW law for LEOs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Fine... disallow WI LEOs from carrying concealed when off-duty, and make it so they are not covered by the national reciprocity CCW law for LEOs.

Amen, just creating a higher class between unarmed citizens....

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the majority of peacetime officers, you know, the level headed kind, but I loathe the "badge-gone-to-head" and police chief with a political agenda type.

Police should enforce law, not influence legislation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Brings a whole new slant to "Who guards the guardians?", doesn't it?

Let the WI LEOs be like the rest of us sheep, and pray 911 always works for them too, when offduty or in other states....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#16]
"sniper rifles designed for military use"

M40 = Remington 700

Hope these retards are willing to give up their 700's and possibly other deer rifles, cause you KNOW the real anti-gun groups behind this shit will want it... Kinda reminds me of how hunters groups got behind the "cop killer bullet" bill that outlawed all their hunting ammunition..
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Be careful walking your dog is what I get out of it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"sniper rifles designed for military use"

M40 = Remington 700

Hope these retards are willing to give up their 700's and possibly other deer rifles, cause you KNOW the real anti-gun groups behind this shit will want it... Kinda reminds me of how hunters groups got behind the "cop killer bullet" bill that outlawed all their hunting ammunition..

Too bad deer and duck hunters don't realize the damage they are doing by electing people with 'sensible guns laws' for positions in government.

To wit, Feinstein said of the 1994 legislation, "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate ... for an outright ban, picking up every one of them -- Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in -- I would have done it!"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I am SO tired of this BS. It has been PROVEN that more guns = less crime. Everytime a CCW law is passed the asshats SWEAR it will be unsafe/wild west etc: when in FACT CCW REDUCES crime

MORONS
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What's a "sniper rifle?"

I hear Browning A-Bolts are popular.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Despicable Nazi Motherfuckers. Don't get me started or I'll tell you what I really think of them.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#22]
The only thing maintaining your RKBA is YOU, standing there with your Ar, prepared to fight. The only thing, not the Constitution, not the courts, not the gov't who is supposed to, and sure as Hell not neurotic bitches and pussified males who think they run the show.

It really is time to kick ass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The only thing maintaining your RKBA is YOU, standing there with your Ar, prepared to fight. The only thing, not the Constitution, not the courts, not the gov't who is supposed to, and sure as Hell not neurotic bitches and pussified males who think they run the show.

Dont forget to take names,  

they always forget to take names.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Heheheh. I knew it was a matter of time. For years they didn't want you to own "spray and pray" rifles. Now, they don't want you to have rifles that are too accurate. After all, only the military and police need accurate rifles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Thats not even a veiled threat.
Thats was a direct threat (!) to lock you up if you carry (legally)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
“We are not anti-gun, anti-hunter or anti-NRA,” Green Bay Police Chief Craig Van Schyndle said at a press event held by WAVE at the Brown County Courthouse in Green Bay. “This is an officer-safety issue and a community-safety issue. Green Bay, Appleton and Brown County are very safe communities, and concealed carry is a very dangerous proposition.”

STFU copper!  By his reasoning then COPS are a danger to society since  they carry firearms.

Sgat1r56

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sick and fucking tired of hearing about officer fucking safety. If the fucking job is too fucking dangerous for you, then hang up the fucking badge and get another fucking job digging fucking ditches.

THIS IS MY FUCKING LIFE YOU PRICK SON OF A BITCH! I DON'THAVE 50 ARMED POLICE TO COME BACK ME UP WHEN I RUN INTO TROUBLE! IT'S JUST ME AGAINST A HARDEND FUCKING KILLER, AND I NEED A FUCKING GUN!

One last thing, why do gun grabbers use the same mother fucking argument everywhere CCW is introduced? Every place where CCW exists is a living testiment to the invalidity of their fears!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
senorFrog,
you seemed to have stirred the pot on this one
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont forget to take names,  

they always forget to take names.

Well, if all the sheeple have to wear one of those barcodes on their hand it would make it alot easier. Just need to carry a ziplock bag.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
i have no doubt that the day will come. thats all i will say
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not even a veiled threat.
Thats was a direct threat (!) to lock you up if you carry (legally)

The entire article was right out of the Schumer-Fienstein(sp?) playbook and needs to be rebutted.

As much as I am angered by the entire article, the police chief's 'threat' toubles me immensely, and I intend to write him a letter asking him to elaborate. The whole idea of a CLEO making a threat against the people in the community -if CCW laws are passed- is grossly offensive to me.

The chief painted a picture of a safe and peaceful town, and that says it all right there. These citizens are obviously good honest people. That being said, not only will he not trust them with a firearm, he threatens the community with some kind of aggressive police action if a LAW passes. Coming from a CLEO this statement is FAR beyond offensive, it's almost criminal.

Does he believe all these good honest folks are going to change thier way of life because they carry a gun? It's outrageous.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I think public employees who make policy decisions or recommendations using blatantly false arguments should be retroactively fired and made to pay back the last five years salary pre tax.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
What kind of liberal asshats are they electing in Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa anyway ? These rural states don't have "shall issue" or "right to carry" laws ?  I can understand gun-grabbing commie states like NY, IL and CA, but these guys need to get on the ball. Does WI have alot of union jobs or something causing them to elect Democrats ? These police organizations always endorsing anti-gun legislation gets extremely old as well
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
EDIT: Interesting how slimey the left is becoming by forming "hunting" groups to help take away 2nd amendment rights.  

By Lee Reinsch
[email protected]

Some local law enforcement agencies are joining the Wisconsin Anti Violence Effort against a new concealed-carry act even before it’s introduced.

Sen. Dave Zien, R-Eau Claire, said he plans to finish drafting the Personal Protection Act “in a couple of weeks.” It would give “law-abiding citizens over the age of 21” with no felony record or violent misdemeanors the right to carry a concealed weapon upon undergoing a training and safety course comparable to that offered by the National Rifle Association, he said.

But Jeri Bonavia of Milwaukee, president of WAVE, doesn’t think it’s a good idea.

“If we already have such safe communities, why would we want to change that?” Myers said.

If it does become legal to carry concealed weapons in Wisconsin, “expect to see a more aggressive style of policing,” Myers said.

“(To allow) law-abiding citizens, who are trained in protecting themselves, (to carry concealed weapons) is common sense. What has happened in other states is the ‘angelic factor’ — the criminals, druggies and wackies don’t commit crimes because they don’t know who’s armed and who’s not. In every state that has passed this law, there has been a dramatic decrease in crime,” Zien said.

What does this have to do with "hunting" groups? I read your post three times and still can't find any reference to a "hunting" group formed by the left to preach disarmament.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What's a "sniper rifle?"

Prolly my 40 year old Sears 30-06 that I hunt deer with.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Lee Reinsch
[email protected]

What does this have to do with "hunting" groups? I read your post three times and still can't find any reference to a "hunting" group formed by the left to preach disarmament.

I didn't real my own post.  

The original board I saw this own had some discussion where one of the activists are in a "hunting" group.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I just called and spoke with a woman in the Chief's office.  I said that I read this article, that his comment concerns me, and asked if the Chief could clarify his statement.  

His secretary(?) said that he's not in his office but will give me a call back.

I'll post what I find out.

-Anthony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top