BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 10:17:11 AM EDT
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8884303/

‘Runaway bride’ mowing lawns per court order
Wilbanks fulfilling community service sentence for lying to police
The Associated Press
Updated: 1:16 p.m. ET Aug. 9, 2005

LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia - Runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks mowed the lawn of a government building Tuesday as part of her court-ordered community service for lying to police after she ran off days before her scheduled wedding.

Wearing an orange community service vest, a ballcap that said “Life is good” and running shoes, Wilbanks seemed upbeat as she pushed a powered mower by a swarm of reporters and photographers. She briefly spoke when the mower’s engine died in tall, wet grass.

“I’m doing well,” said Wilbanks, who has been undergoing mental health treatment. She admitted with a laugh that it had been a long time since she had mowed a lawn.

“I need to get back to work. I don’t want to get into trouble,” she added.

Her lawn mower then kept dying in the grass, each time prompting her to repeatedly yank on the pull string to restart it. After the eighth time it quit, she let out a big sigh.

In all, she was ordered to do 120 hours of service. Wilbanks had already completed 16 hours of her sentence by cleaning probation offices and washing public vehicles. Department of Corrections spokeswoman Peggy Chapman said Wilbanks planned to work off eight more hours Tuesday, also picking up trash.

“She’s a hard worker. She didn’t take advantage of anything. She did more work than most people,” said 17-year-old Michael Powell, who has cleaned bathrooms and offices with Wilbanks while working off his own sentence of 80 hours of community service for an offense he declined to disclose.

Wilbanks, 32, disappeared four days before her scheduled wedding in April, and was reported missing early the next morning. Hundreds of police officers and volunteers — including members of the wedding party — searched for her for three days.

Paying restitution to towns that searched for her
Then she called her fiance, John Mason, from Albuquerque, New Mexico, early in the morning of her planned wedding day, claiming to have been abducted and sexually assaulted. She soon recanted her story, saying she fled because of personal issues.

Wilbanks pleaded no contest in June to telling police her phony story. She also was sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to pay $2,550 in restitution to the sheriff's office that helped with the search for her.

The nearby city of Duluth, Georgia, where Wilbanks had lived with her fiance, spent nearly $43,000 to search for her; Wilbanks has repaid $13,249.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't see the EYES. Anyway, since she never said, "I do" she can't be the "Runaway Bride."

She is FLEEANCE.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
.............I tried, but I just can't care.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
saw her on fox news this morning in the court.  as she was on her way to the court room she saw the reporters and RAN AWAY again into the womens bathroom.   She was then excorted by two other people out of the restroom, through the media and to the court room.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it's sad that a flock of reporters had nothing better to do than sit around and watch her cut grass.  Go investigate Air America or something, morons!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The media reported she was a sex addict right?

Can anyone get her phone # for lordtrader so he can stop dating fat chicks!  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If she fell over, started pissing fireworks, and then shit a unicorn... I would still not care enough to shut off the mower.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The only one nuttier than her is the dumbass who still is going to marry her.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If she fell over, started pissing fireworks, and then shit a unicorn... I would still not care enough to shut off the mower.

Come on, NorCal.

Quit sugar-coating it.

How do you really feel?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll give her 5 minutes of service she could work off.  If we get a group of guys together maybe we could give her an hour of "community" service.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on, NorCal.

Quit sugar-coating it.

How do you really feel?  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh, well, if she actually shit a unicorn I might find that interesting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only one nuttier than her is the dumbass who still is going to marry her.

I agree with you on this.  He should extort all the make-up blow jobs he can get out of her, and then dump her like a bad habit.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
"She’s a hard worker. She didn’t take advantage of anything. She did more work than most people,” said 17-year-old Michael Powell, who has cleaned bathrooms and offices with Wilbanks while working off his own sentence of 80 hours of community service for an offense he declined to disclose."

I see where this one is going. Runaway bride runs away again...with 17yo crook she met in her community service job.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top