Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:04 AM EDT

Officer Shot at Tennessee Courthouse
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

KINGSTON, Tenn. — A state inmate escaped Tuesday after his wife shot and wounded a correctional officer accompanying the man to the courthouse, authorities said.

Authorities launched an extensive search for George and Jennifer Hyatte, Department of Correction spokeswoman Amanda Sluss said from her office in Nashville.

The officer, Wayne Morgan, was airlifted to University of Tennessee Medical Center (search) in Knoxville. His condition wasn't immediately available.

The incident began Tuesday morning after the inmate was sent to the Roane County (search) Courthouse from Brushy Mountain Correctional Complex, where he is serving 35 years for aggravated robbery and aggravated assault, Sluss said.

"His wife, Jennifer Hyatte, was at the Roane County Courthouse. She had a shotgun and pulled the shotgun on three transportation officers from the prison," Sluss said.

He did not know why George Hyatte (search), who was about two years into his prison term, had been brought to the courthouse.

Authorities were searching for a gold Chevrolet Venture van the two are believed to be using, Sluss said. The pair initially used a dark blue Ford Explorer to get away from the courthouse but it was found abandoned a short time later, she said.

Helicopters were circling over the town of about 6,000 people, which county Emergency Management Agency spokesman Scott Stout called "small town USA." Schools were locked down and roads around the courthouse were closed.

"It's a full-blown investigation and a full-blown search," Stout said.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Ohh shit!!!

This is not a drill!!

Where is my b.o.b.?

55gr or 62gr?

A2 or A3?

Maybe Fal or AKM?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ohh shit!!!

This is not a drill!!

Where is my b.o.b.?

55gr or 62gr?

A2 or A3?

Maybe Fal or AKM?

USE BOTH!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
LEO just died.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
They were showing the officer being transported to the hospital. They were showing video of them doing chest compressions.

Update: Officer died.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Now the wife will have murder charges.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Someone forgot to tell those two that the days of Bonnie and Clyde came to an end over 70 years ago...looks like they're about to re-discover how they came to an end, too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Someone forgot to tell those two that the days of Bonnie and Clyde came to an end over 70 years ago...looks like they're about to re-discover how they came to an end, too.

Massive manhunt underway, he won't get away.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope they both get killed. Fuck capturing them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Gee, I hope they don't "resist arrest".

Scum.

Maybe they will "make a stand" and will save the TN taxpayer a bunch of money on trials etc
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope they both get killed. Fuck capturing them.

If his wife helped him, I think they will do the " blaze of glory" thing and get killed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Dayum - Brushy Mountain is like 15-20 minutes away from our house.  Roane County is the county right next to ours.

Going into "Cover Thine Own Ass" mode right now.

Hope they nail "Bonnie Sue and Cleatus" (Bonnie and Clyde, the Hillbilly version."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Just heard phone interview with LEO that said the getaway vehicle had blood on the driver's seat, his guess was driver took a round in the shoulder area.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#13]
F'n POS!!! Kill'em!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#14]
i sure hope justice finds its mark here
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Still on the run?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Send 'em down to Texas.

Please?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Still on the run?

Yes.

I wonder how the jury will treat a female cop-killer if they take the couple alive. I'd almost expect the guy to get a death sentence while the actual trigger puller gets an easier sentence b/c of her gender. TN is still old-fashioned.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Hope they nail "Bonnie Sue and Cleatus"
Awww, dey so purty t'gether!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Skank-o-licious.

She was a prison nurse, so I believe there is a good chance she is no stranger to inmate cack-n-ballz.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Send 'em down to Texas! We'll catch them or kill them. We get paid by the head to incarcerate criminals. It's big business down here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still on the run?

Yes.

I wonder how the jury will treat a female cop-killer if they take the couple alive. I'd almost expect the guy to get a death sentence while the actual trigger puller gets an easier sentence b/c of her gender. TN is still old-fashioned.

Alabama just executed a cop killer last week. They executed his wife two years ago.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Dayum - Brushy Mountain is like 15-20 minutes away from our house.  Roane County is the county right next to ours.

Going into "Cover Thine Own Ass" mode right now.

Hope they nail "Bonnie Sue and Cleatus" (Bonnie and Clyde, the Hillbilly version."

+1.

Hope this POS gets his ass handed to him.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Hummm... Hornady TAP... that is gonna be my greeting for anyone coming on my property. Maybe I should skip feeding my EVIL american pit also.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Their van was found in Erlanger, KY earlier this evening, per Fox News update on WLAP 630 AM. Looks like the cops just missed them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I live 5 miles from from Kingston. AR, 870, Glock . at the ready. MONO LOBE
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#28]
They are in custody. Captured in Columbus alive.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165363,00.html

SWAT Team Nabs Fugitive Couple

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

KINGSTON, Tenn. — Authorities on Wednesday captured a fugitive couple who had been on the run after pulling off a bold escape outside a Tennessee courthouse that left an officer dead.

A SWAT team nabbed George and Jennifer Hyatte without incident at an America's Best Value Inn in Columbus, Ohio, said Mark Gwyn, director of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

"We have found weapons (at the motel). We don't know if it's the murder weapon, but we're processing those," Gwyn said.

Earlier, authorities found a van the Hyattes had used to escape at a Kentucky motel.

Jennifer Hyatte (search), who was a prison nurse while her husband was an inmate, now stands charged with gunning down a correctional officer Tuesday while freeing her husband. The 31-year-old had never been in trouble with the law before.

Jennifer was fired from her job as prison nurse for sneaking food to George before the two were married. A few months later she received permission from the warden to wed George, a man with a long and violent criminal record.

"You are left grappling for answers and trying to figure it out. What was she thinking?" Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson said Wednesday.

"I guess it is anyone's guess," Johnson said. "She married the guy, so you have to assume there is some sort of love connection."

Police believe Jennifer Hyatte came to this town of 5,500 on Monday with two getaway cars — a Ford Explorer in her name that was later dumped and a gold Chevrolet van stolen from one of her home-nursing clients near Nashville.

She is believed to have ambushed two guards as they were leading George Hyatte from a courthouse hearing, fatally shooting one of them — veteran Wayne "Cotton" Morgan, 56 — and then speeding away with her husband.

When asked by FOX News why the maximum-security prisoner was not better guarded, Roane County Sheriff David Haggard replied, "I don't think anything could have been done unless you were a mind reader."

Authorities found large amounts of blood in the abandoned vehicle and believe she was wounded.

Frank Harvey, the prosecutor who secured a guilty plea from George Hyatte (search ) on Tuesday to a robbery charge and may be prosecuting him again if he is caught, said: "Well, it's like Willie Nelson's song, 'Ladies love outlaws like babies love stray dogs' ... or something like that."

By Wednesday, 35 to 45 leads an hour were coming in as part of a manhunt.

"We're getting information from all kinds of places, and we're running every lead. We've got state and federal agencies assisting in the manhunt," Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Mark Gwyn said. "I don't recall in my 20 years ever being in this type of escape."

Early last year, Jennifer Forsyth earned a diploma as a licensed practical nurse and got a job with a state contractor that took her into Northwest Correctional Complex to provide health care to state inmates.

She was fired five months later after sneaking food into the prison for Hyatte, a 34-year-old inmate with a record of robberies and escapes stretching back more than a decade. He was transferred the next month to Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville.

But that didn't end the relationship.

Forsyth and Hyatte applied on Nov. 30, 2004, to the chaplain at the prison for permission to marry. The two were wed May 20.

George Hyatte's escape Tuesday was at least the fifth time has gotten way from law enforcement officials. The other escapes were from local authorities in east Tennessee in 1990, 1991, 1998 and 2002.

During the escape three years ago, Hyatte and another prisoner escaped from a county jail after threatening guards with a homemade knife made out of toothbrushes and a razor blade.

When one guard turned over keys to the armed inmates, they then used them to beat another officer until he was unconscious. The escape ended a few days later when the two were captured in Florida.

Danny Wright, head of the Tennessee Highway Patrol's criminal investigation division, recalled assisting in a search for Hyatte a few years ago after he escaped from a patrol car, with another woman's help, after a convenience store robbery. Hyatte was found the next day at a home outside town, buried under a pile of clothes.

"He's pretty good at hiding," Wright said.

Hyatte's parents divorced when he was young, and he moved between the homes of relatives and state custody for years. He first entered the court system when he was 9 for school truancy and unruly behavior. By the time he was 17 he had already been through a treatment program for alcohol and drug abuse.

After dropping out of school, he racked up charges for burglary, theft, armed robbery and striking an officer. He was acquitted of aggravated rape. A presentencing report from 1993, when Hyatte was 21, described him as a repeat offender with little work history and "a tendency toward violence."

James Polk, who previously represented Hyatte as a public defender, described him as a smooth talker.

"In court he is 'Yes sir,' 'no sir' and 'please.' He always had this look about him of `Who me?' — as if he was wrongly accused," Polk said.

The lawyer also recalled that Hyatte had a previous relationship with another nurse.

"He is kind of a ladies man, too," he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Burn them both, the wife first.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Mono lobe? Who you been kissin'?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mono lobe? Who you been kissin'?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top