Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 8:30:52 AM EDT
AC-130 Video in Afghanistan

Ok it supposedly shows an AC-130 gunship airplane attacking an afghanistan "Stronghold" and dropping some kind of weird ordnance's on vehicles,  people,  buidlings and tunnels.

What I dont understand is why it looks fake and what the heck are they shooting as far as guns.

The explosions are inconsistant with each other as far as size.  They look like they arent even hitting the ground.  And the people keep on ticking even when they are nailed directly.

Can someone explain this video to me.   Its weird.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
HKS,
They're shooting either 40mm bofors cannons or 105 mm cannon. They're real as for the people still moving they were lucky but not for long.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
see, in the real world, not every single explosion looks exactly like every other.  people sometimes keep running after getting hit, sometimes even close explosions can miss people with frag.  

what else is there to explain?  

oh wait, I'll tell you what all the "ITS TEH PHOTOSHOP!" crowd wants to hear:  someone with waaaaay too much time on their hands intentionally went out and fabricated a video.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#3]
It has like a 40mm Bofors and a 105mm cannon so there would be different looks to each explosion!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It's real life, actual FLIR camera footage.  What are you comparing it to?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Boom!   Bang!    WTF- sounds like a 5 year old  

The crosshairs are for the observation camera, NOT the targeting cameras.

I think that may be messing you up  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]

I want to introduce you to my little friends!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Got a little to excited!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand the camera is not the "gunner view".

I was just saying the first time I watched it I thought it was fake.

THere is like 4-5+ different type of rounds dropped it looks like.

Just looked weird.

I thought they had chainguns too and not just gravity rounds or artillery type stuff.  But I am not a gunship expert.  Was just pondering an explanation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
This video shows what happens when you give a multi million dollar aircraft equipped with one of the MOST advanced weapons systems to a bunch of 20 year olds, and say, go get some.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

THere is like 4 or 5 different type of rounds dropped it looks like.

#1 - they could be directing OTHER planes to strike the targets

#2 -  one gun can fire multiple types of rounds

#3 - weapons on a Spectre Gunship:

AC-130U Spooky

25mm Gatling-gun (capable of firing 1800 rounds per minute), a single-barrel, rapid-fire 40mm Bofors cannon, and a 105mm Howitzer. The AC-130U replaced the two 20mm cannon used on the AC-130H with one trainable 25mm cannon while retaining the other weapons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]
It seemed easy to hit the vehicles(100% accuracy) but hard to hit the troops *hmmm*.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Any AC-130 crew on the board?  I'd love to know, without violating OPSEC, what the guys are shouting and how the load and fire process works.

G
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]
2001 called....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any AC-130 crew on the board?  I'd love to know, without violating OPSEC, what the guys are shouting and how the load and fire process works.

G

Im pretty sure there are none, we have had topics come up like this before.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Cool video, but something makes me shake my head....DO NOT ENGAGE THE MOSQUE...even after someone they are targeting runs back inside, they can't touch it.

Won't be winning wars this way....everything should be fair game, especially after you know targets are sheltering there....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Great video.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's real life, actual FLIR camera footage.  What are you comparing it to?

raven,

Did you respond to SIMPLYDYNAMIC's IM?

I suggest you revisit the Blackwater video thread (the one that's 19 pages long).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

G

Not an AC-130 crew...but the 105mm is handloaded, there is a loader shoving those big ass rounds into the breach, you can hear him yelling "Gun ready!", kind of like a tanker yelling "Up!" when the gun is ready to fire. The 40mm is fed from 4 round clips....drop one in, and you're good to go for 4 rounds, then drop in another....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

G

Not an AC-130 crew...but the 105mm is handloaded, there is a loader shoving those big ass rounds into the breach, you can hear him yelling "Gun ready!", kind of like a tanker yelling "Up!" when the gun is ready to fire. The 40mm is fed from 4 round clips....drop one in, and you're good to go for 4 rounds, then drop in another....

Thanks, I thought he was saying something like that, but wasn't sure.  

G
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It seemed easy to hit the vehicles(100% accuracy) but hard to hit the troops *hmmm*.

Well....think about it.  A truck is a quite a bit bigger than a person.  It also can't move as unpredictibly as a person.

Oh yeah, and your firing platform is moving as well.

Obviously since the trucks are one-shot-one-kill but the people aren't, then this HAS to be a fake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top