Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:12:38 AM EDT
Took a road trip to Lockhart a few weeks ago to get some real BBQ.  We went to 2 of the oldest and most traditional BBQ places in Texas.  No credit cards or checks, no silverware, just great BBQ served with crackers and bread.

First stop, Smitty's BBQ and Meat Market.

Smitty's location has been a meat market since the last century.  

The line to order at Smitty's goes right past the wood-burning brick pits.  The heat is incredible.  The butchers carve the meat right behind the counter and serve it to you on butcher paper.

Brisket, ribs, and sausage from Smitty's.  The brisket had good color and was properly sliced.  Very tender and not dry like most restaurant brisket.

No boiled ribs or electric ovens here.

Next stop:  Kreuz Market

The oldest BBQ joint in town has a new building.  Pronounced "Krites" by the locals, Kreuz has been in business since 1900.

Prime rib and ribs at Kreuz.  Oh. My. God.  Prime rib that literally melts in your mouth.  It's the most expensive item on the menu at $12.90 a pound, but it is worth it.  Note the heavy layer of cracker pepper on the ribs.  Very tasty.

Got wood yet?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Lots of links at Smitty's.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yumm!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Smitty's is my favorite of the two.  I think it's just better 'que.

The new Kreitz place is a great building, but ever since the pissing contest between the family members, I pretty much go to Smitty's.  

You had no mention of Blacks.  That would be my second choice.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The new Kreitz place is a great building, but ever since the pissing contest between the family members, I pretty much go to Smitty's.  

It takes a while to properly "age" a BBQ place.  Rudy's started chains of their little BBQ venture (Austin has a few) but it just isn't the same as the ORIGINAL Leon Springs location.  Nothing beats eating BBQ on a cold winter day, right next to the firebox used to cook it.  This is only at the Leon Springs store, liability (and smoke) prevented it from the other locations

Come to think of it, Macaroni Grille was originally from Leon Springs...and used to be great.  Now that they are all over the US, quality is down.

Yes, the original Rudy's is still open and just a stone's throw from Camp Bullis.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I didn't make it to Black's.  I was pretty well stuffed from Smitty's and Kreuz.  I will be headed to Lockhart again in a month or two, I'll hit Blacks's when I do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
That beats the shit out the PJ sandwhich I had for lunch.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the photos and great memories PK!

Looking forward to your next installment from Blacks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Great pics.  

I'm hungry now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Mmmm tasty. Where is lockhart texas?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Holy crap.  I've never gotten so excited seeing food before.  I'm starting to tear up.

R.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Blacks is good for the sides, not the Q... it isn't in the same league with the other two (IMHO).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Great Pics and some serious BBQ.

Hickory? The second to last pic. I don't like mesquite.

Prime Rib deserves attention when cooked properly. There are only two BBQ places here locally
where PR is done justice and it's 25 miles round trip. Well worth it.

If I ever get back to Texas, BBQ will be one of my missions.
I say the same about North Carolina.
Happy times.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The wife brought home some brisket from Kreuz' Market the other evening & it was tough as a boot.  You got some great pictures...try out the pork loin sometime.

Didja think to ask'em for any BBQ sauce?  

How about City Market in Luling??

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Dude - you need to take a trip to Llano, TX and eat at Cooper's BBQ.   UN-real.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

CMOS

+1
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, if were talking outside of Lockhart, Coopers has to rank as one of my favorite places.  Not only is the drive pleasant, but the food is fantastic.  Don't care much for their vinegar-based sauce.  But it's probably the best/thickest port-chop in Tejas.

Pics from a few trips to Coopers...

Ben-
Lockhart is about 22 miles South of Austin on Hwy 183.  Like 20 minutes from Bergstrom Airport.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Totally going when I visit my hometown again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#20]
OMFG I'm soo hungry now
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
You asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I want BBQ.

Gotta go.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Hehehehehe.

I feel like a long lunch coming on with a trip to Lockhart.  

A 45 minute drive won't be too bad. It's good to be in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

CMOS

Best.
In.
Texas.
Period.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#24]
very...hungry....now......

nice pics!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the Cooper brothers runs a BBQ place in Round Rock, too.  Same great Q, always friendly service.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#26]
While you are in the "Hood", slide down the road a bit to Luling, and try the Luling City market. Same deal. No flash, just good BBQ on butcher paper.  Another EXCELLENT place is the "Salt Lick". It's in driftwood, just south of Austin in Hays County.

Lots of Good "Q" in Texas...Rich
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Best.
In.
Texas.
Period.

My uncles and grandad took me to Coopers a bunch of years ago (when you had to go across the street to the gas station to buy beer) and was the best meal ever.  I went back 2 years ago and didn't recognize the place or the food.  It had slipped quite a bit.  They got too big.  Too bad!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#30]
As a former Road Warrior, I always kept my eye out for places like Smitty's. In fact, over the years I even ate a meal or two at Smitty's. Highly recommended!

ETA: Luling City is pretty good too, but I'd put the Salt Lick above all the others. If you've never been there, it's probably best to get taken by a local, cause it's not that easy to find. Well worth the effort, however.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Prefer Luling to Lockhart anyday.  And if you just keep going...  Gonzales and Waelder have my favorite sausage - hands down, no contest.  (Distant memory on Waelder, but had Gonzales sausage on Saturday, yuummmmmmm.

On a side note, I make my own sausage - Gonzales (City Market - I think)will not even tell me what beast goes into theirs.

Both Gonzales and Welder have their own ethnic flavor.  They are definately not German/Czech sausage

Snook is a long way from here, but was one of my High Schools biggest Basketball Rivals.  Pretty sure I have tried their sausage, but it was a long, long, long time ago.  Hell I even forget exactly where Snook is, but back of my mind says it is over in Aggie country.  That said, from what I know about Snook, it surprises me they make "Czech" sausage there.  They are very simular in demographics to Waelder.  Gonzales is a little more hispanic I think.

Have some J-B in the refridge right now, but it is just not the same thing they serve at Waelder City Market. (J-B is made less thant 100 ft from the Market)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Prefer Luling to Lockhart anyday.  And if you just keep going...  Gonzales and Welder have my favorite sausage - hands down, no contest.  (Distant memory on Welder, but had Gonzales sausage on Saturday, yuummmmmmm.

On a side note, I make my own sausage - Gonzales (City Markte - I think)will not even tell me what beast goes into theirs.

Have you tried Slovacek sausage?  They make a damn good jalapeno sausage.  www.slovacek.com
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been to Lockhart on several occassions and eaten at the BBQ places out that way.  Having gone to college at Southwest Texas (aka Texas State) and partying in Austin, there were many occasions where I'd find myself waking up in Lockhart ...but enough about that because that's not something to brag about.

Blacks BBQ is awesome
Kruez Market is great
Chisolm Trail BBQ isn't half bad (not the same as the one in Austin)
Smitty's (I had forgotten about this one when mentioning the BBQ in lockhart to DVDTracker) is really good

If you are in San Marcos, there is Southwest BBQ (one of the BBQ places in Lockhart expanded) out on Hunter Road (south along hopkins past the smaller HEB, it's out on your left)...

Having gone to highschool at Hays (fairly close to the Salt Lick) I'd definitely recommend that for a weekend visit...but not the one in Austin (Westlake) as it's not the same thing...just owned by the same people.

In fact, there was a big huff when the Salt Lick announced they were opening a new location in Westlake and the local population and other businesses in the strip center were afraid that the business would bring in "undesireables"....wtf?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Ate at Blacks in Lockhart last weekend. I eat at Coopers fairly often when I'm trekin' on the motorcycle. Both are excellent but I would give the nod to Coopers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#36]
AWESOME
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top