Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 8:10:54 AM EDT
Well broke down an got one of those little Raptors and I'm having a few problems with it. The first mag I had to hand cycle every round. It would not full go in to battery or fully close. It was catching about 1/4" from being fully closed. After 50 rounds it started to run better.
I put 100 rounds through it and every once in a while it still catches right before it gets locked up fully closed.
Does it just need more break in? Everyone says 400 rounds is the 'magic" number, but I've never had a Kimber that wouldn't run right out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]

You probably should've purchased a Glock.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#2]

patron saint of reliable handguns
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
A thorough detail stripping, along with some Wilson 47D's really helped out with breaking in my new Kimber. They seem to like a little more lube also. Other than that, keep shooting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You probably should've purchased tupperware.

We're talking guns, not kitchen equipment.

What kind of ammo are you using? Any chance of limp-wristing?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Used a few different types of ammo. Not limpin it for sure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#6]
My Les Baer came heavyily lubed new and a note saying it would take 500 rds to fully seat itself in. It said do not contact the company for 500rds if the gun fails to cycle completely as this will fix itself with wear time. I did have maybe 10 failures to close in the 500 rds, but this thing was TIGHT!!!! I mean two hands straining to cycle it when I first got it. She runs like a champ now with zero failures last 1200 rds. I'd lube it with Brian Enos grease which I use on all pistols. It is the best bar none.  After a few more hundred rounds if still failing then call.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Just shoot the thing some more. Mine was jamming like crazy for the first couple hundred rounds. Now it will go toe to toe with ANY kind of European Wonder gun, using any kind of ammo and bullet shape.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Trade it off on a Colt
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya it is real tight. I'm using ball ammo and ran a few gold dots through it. It's getting better, but it still does it about once every 10-15 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#10]
My CDP II ulta cary needed 400 rounds to fully be reliable. I Molly -D the barel lockup, and that helped. Tolerances are ttiiiggghhhtttt on these little pups.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Wrong Forum.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Spring-loaded extractors on new Kimbers are teh sux.

The case rim isn't sliding under the extractor. Polish the slide face around the firing pin hole and polish the part of the extractor where it touches the edge of the case rim. Be careful not to alter the extractor hook.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Guns&Ammo just did a review on the raptor and had the same problem, Kimber told them to lube the slide and the problem went away.

ETA:
< Post 2K!

DAmm!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got the same pistol had the same probs but not as bad as you apparently are.  Called Kimber and they shipped me free of charge new improved extractor for free.  Changed that out and ran "500" rounds through it and now it is smooth as silk.  Kimbers are made with very tight tolerances for improved accuracy.  You just need to really shoot the shit out of it and get that extractor replaced.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
dpmmn, did Kimber ever fix your front sight that kept falling off?

oubeta, just flaming you a bit on the Glock comment, but I've heard from many 1911 and Kimber owners that you really need to break them in before they are 100% reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top