Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:06:01 AM EDT
Okay so I've made up my mind. I want out of NY.

But what state is both "gun friendly" and has a good market for software developers? I am in the finance industry.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of tech jobs in Atlanta, especially on the north side.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you happen to know what an average IT salary is in Atlanta? What are the CCW laws in GA? Any pending AWBs?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Come to Dallas, we have the TELECOM  CORRIDOR, lots of jobs  and good gun laws too !
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]
As a software engineer, you should be able
to move to any industry - don't limit your
choices based on industry.

I moved from networking (writing firewalls
for network appliances) to medical (writing
a claims processing system).

FWIW, look south - don't come to VT. While
it is probably the MOST gun friendly, there
are a limited number of jobs and it is damned
cold.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about VT...

Is the job market really that bad for IT guys?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
It is sad because I really do love NY. My family and friends are all here, but I can't stand the liberal mindset. The only way I'll stay is if the GOP keeps control of the Senate in NY
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes. Not much local turnover in my company.
People either move out of state or retire.

None of the "job shopping" that we all enjoyed
during the boom.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#9]

how are the gun laws in india right now?

I heard they suck. But you can legally marry 100 women that would live to serve you
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Not much local turnover in my company.
People either move out of state or retire.

None of the "job shopping" that we all enjoyed
during the boom.

What is life like in VT?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#11]
VA

Some of the best gun laws in the nation and one of the strongest job markets (perhaps the strongest) in the nation.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Nevada!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
VA

Some of the best gun laws in the nation and one of the strongest job markets (perhaps the strongest) in the nation.

Yup.  IM me, I can probably help you out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But what state is both "gun friendly" and has a good market for software developers? I am in the finance industry.

Banglore, India???
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What is life like in VT?

If you are married with kids, it is awesome.

If you are a single guy, it sucks as the
single scene is pathetic. Let's put it this
way: I am willing to give up a six-figure
salary to move out of this state.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Would you happen to know what an average IT salary is in Atlanta? What are the CCW laws in GA? Any pending AWBs?

Salaries vary widely depending on what kind of work you're doing.  I have a friend who makes about 60K doing general IT work for a clothing company, another who makes about 50K doing general IT and some programming/database work.  I have another friend who works for himself as a contractor and makes about 120K.  Not sure about average salaries.

Cost of living is probably lower than NY.  Just for reference, I bought a 3200 sqft house (includes partially-unfinished basement) with 1.5 acres in a very nice neighborhood in a good location with good schools for about 175K.  Not sure how that compares to what you're used to.  Property taxes for me are about $1300 per year.

CCW is shall-issue as long as you can pass a background check.  Costs about $50 and is good for about 5-7 years.  No pending AWB legislation.  One was proposed by one of the fringe liberals in the state government last year, and it got thoroughly shot down.  State has a law stopping cities from suing gun makers.  (Liberal Atlanta mayor tried that crap, and the rest of the state smacked him down.)  Class 3 is A-OK.  Basically as long as it's legal at the federal level, it's legal in Georgia.

Some parts of Atlanta are liberal zones, but the rest of the state is conservative.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Another option is getting a job working as a NYS corrections offcier. Since they have Peace Offcier status the AWB dosnt apply and can CCW in all 50 states. I know a few guys that work in NY and live in PA, VT ect.(think m16) Benefits are excellent. Another test is comeing up in 2006.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Austin. Economy is rockin'  here. Plenty of developer jobs. You may want to look into Dallas also.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I would like to get into law enforcement but with my bad back it is not an option.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Austin. Economy is rockin'  here. Plenty of developer jobs. You may want to look into Dallas also.

Austin...LOL. Isnt that the liberal capitol of the World
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

how are the gun laws in india right now?

I heard they suck. But you can legally marry 100 women that would live to serve you

Too bad they would all smell like ass
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The only way I'll stay is if the GOP keeps control of the Senate in NY

If the GOP is in control of the NY state senate, why do you guys still have an AW ban???

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Florida sucks dont move here.

All your gonna do is bitch about how it aint like NY like the rest of yall.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Austin...LOL. Isnt that the liberal capitol of the World

No, just texas. San Francisco is the liberal capital of the world. SF is just a little worse than Austin. I hate Austin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sorry, there are no jobs in "gun friendly" states, just beer drinkin rednecks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#27]
JBravo,
Look into Nebraska. Omaha should be a town looking for IT guys. Cost of living in Nebraska is one of the lowest in the States. Our gun laws are good with the exception of the CCW Bill that still hasn't passed. We can have machine guns, suppressors, and pretty much everything except for Destructive Devices I think. There is plenty of public hunting land and a few farmers still allow outsiders to walk thier fields during pheasant and other seasons. Also there are alot of good gun dealers and places to shoot. I enjoy living here and hunting here. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#28]

If the GOP is in control of the NY state senate, why do you guys still have an AW ban???

Cause Gov Pataki  (who might run in 2008 for pres) signed a gun-control package back in 2000

Thanks for the replies fellas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top