Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 1:19:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt it was a 'fully automatic machine pistol'.  Just trying to magnify the situation.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Lock&Load:
    AVON,IN--An Avon, Indiana police officer shot and killed a man Saturday night after police and sheriff's deputies responded to a domestic disturbance.
    Officer Andrew Manek shot 40-year-old Robert E. Franklin after he repeatedly refused to put down a fully-automatic machine pistol, the Hendrick's County Sheriff's Department said in a statement. Franklin died at the scene.
    A neighbor called police after a woman who was bleeding came to his door and said she was being beaten. The sheriff's department is investigating. Manek has been placed on routine administrative leave with pay, according to the statement.
View Quote

Did MIAMI SWAT plant that SMG, to justify this shooting? Just kidding guys!!!
If the man did indeed produce the SMG, and not use, well too bad for him, for he's dead now!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
    a fully-automatic machine pistol
View Quote

I bet it was a "fully-automatic submachine tactical assault weapon self-loading high-capacity handgun sniper pistol."  Those guns are REALLY evil!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
    a fully-automatic machine pistol
View Quote

I bet it was a "fully-automatic submachine tactical assault weapon self-loading high-capacity handgun sniper pistol."  Those guns are REALLY evil!
View Quote

And it had a cell phone remote, and he was driving when it happened!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And it had a cell phone remote, and he was driving when it happened!
View Quote

Yeah, and don't forget the high velocity, fire-and-forget, explosive tipped, armor piercing, teflon coated, hollow-point, cop killer Talon bullets that he was using.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Aw man,
How did you guys find out about my new super duper secret mall cop security weapon? [:D]
Ice
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
He was also driving a high polluting SUV while talking on the cell phone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure the local DA will announce pompously, as a resident expert on such matters, to the blood-thirsty gullible news media that it was a "banned, black, hi-capacity, bolt action, semi-automatic, sub machine gun, revolver just like the ones used in the movies......then call for tighter gun control so that he/she can build a platform for re-election.  Rather deja vu I should think.

SCF
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The bullet actually stopped and pushed an old nun down a flight of stairs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Now you've got me curious.  If anyone figures out the make/model of the firearm, please post it.

This inquiring mind is too lazy to actually do the search himself.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Every gun is a machinegun. It is after all a machine!

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a link to the article?

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]
FA Machine pistol-I'm REEEEEALLY sure that the guy had a Stekchin or Glock 18 just hanging around.

More likely, he stole a Mall Ninja's Glock 38, in .700 CBMBS (CrazyB**tardMagnumButtStomper).

They also rechamer those for .458 Cassull for really evil guns that only hurt people who are sure to get plenty of media attention.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
From the Indianapolis Star with no details on the weapon:

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/avon16.html

Man killed by officer responding to fracas
40-year-old Avon man was shot after ignoring police order to put down his gun, authorities say.

Staff Report
July 16, 2001  

An Avon policeman, called to a disturbance in which gunshots reportedly had been fired late Saturday, fatally shot a man who came to the door with a gun, officials said.

The victim was identified as Robert E. Franklin Jr., 40, who was living at the Hendricks County residence with an unidentified female companion. Franklin died at the scene.

Hendricks County Deputy Coroner Steve Matthews said an autopsy showed Franklin died of a gunshot wound to the chest. Matthews said Franklin was shot more than once. The shots were believed to be fired by Patrolman Andrew Manek.

Manek, 31, was put on administrative leave pending an internal investigation.

Manek joined the Avon force in June 1997 after working for Borders Book Distribution Warehouse and previously as a security officer for Lafayette Square Mall.

It was the first police shooting since Avon was incorporated as a town in 1995.

The preliminary investigation indicated that Franklin did not fire at police. Toxicology tests also are pending.

Matthews said the couple were parents of an 11-year-old daughter, who was not home at the time of the shooting.

The woman was treated for minor injuries at Hendricks Community Hospital, said Sheriff's Detective Roger Call. He said police do not know what triggered the incident. But deputies have responded to previous reports of disturbances at the house.

Two other men, at least one of them a brother of Franklin, were in the house during the incident, the coroner said.

A woman who answered the telephone at Franklin's parents' home in Indianapolis confirmed he has family there, but she declined any comment.

Avon police and the Hendricks County Sheriff's Department each dispatched a car at 10:52 p.m., in response to calls of a disturbance at 529 S. County Road 625 East. The phone calls came from an adjacent subdivision in Avon, but the house where the disturbance was reported is outside town limits.

While a patrol car from each department was on the way, neighbors called again to report they heard shots fired in the house. Each department then dispatched an additional officer.

Manek and a sheriff's deputy arrived first, talked to the people who had called and went to the house. They saw Franklin standing in a sliding glass doorway, holding a handgun, according to investigators' accounts.

"They ordered him to put the gun down and to get on the ground," said Avon Police Lt. Rob Paris. But apparently Franklin did neither.

"The officer fired several shots. We don't know yet how many," he said.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]dailynews.yahoo.com/h/wrtv/20010715/lo/858187_1.html[/url]

Police arrived at the home to find Franklin standing inside a sliding glass door, armed with a fully automatic rifle.
View Quote

Probably an old SKS with a slam fire problem.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I got arrested for doing a driveby with a shotgun once. They forgot to mention that it was a bright orange cap gun. go figure... stupid media...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
"The officer fired several shots. We don't know yet how many,"

Christ! How pathetic!
Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
There is this
Police arrived at the home to find Franklin standing inside a sliding glass door, armed with a fully automatic rifle.
View Quote

Then there is this
Manek and a sheriff's deputy arrived first, talked to the people who had called and went to the house. They saw Franklin standing in a sliding glass doorway, holding a handgun, according to investigators' accounts
View Quote

And this
An Avon police officer shot and killed a battery suspect Saturday because officers said that the man refused to put down a fully automatic machine gun
View Quote

I don't normally use foul language on this board, but which fucking one was it?????  Can't they get their anti-gun lies straight?

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#23]
There were probably 96 rounds fired and 2 hit the target. Welcome to armed mall security.

I mean the guy was standing on his own property with a gun he needed to die.

Just kidding.

Truthfully if he did abuse his wife than good ridance. He wasn't the kind of gun owner we need in this world. He was probably one of those felons who couldn't get a gun because the brady bill was so effective..
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
There is this
View Quote

Then there is this
Manek and a sheriff's deputy arrived first, talked to the people who had called and went to the house. They saw Franklin standing in a sliding glass doorway, holding a handgun, according to investigators' accounts
View Quote

And this
An Avon police officer shot and killed a battery suspect Saturday because officers said that the man refused to put down a fully automatic machine gun
View Quote

I don't normally use foul language on this board, but which fucking one was it?????  Can't they get their anti-gun lies straight?
View Quote

I believe it was a .25 calibre Lorcin, modified to fire fully automatic, with a 11.5 inch fluted barrel, foreward pistol grip, and night sights. It was also equipped with an illegal bayonet lug, flash suppressor, 4 position collapsable buttstock, and a C-Mag loaded with two hundred thousand rounds of armor piercing 5.56mm ammo. ...hence,.. fully automatic machine gun rifle pistol,...very, very illegal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top