Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 10:09:03 PM EDT
Ok, best ever? Dunno about that. But, its definately way more advanced then the typical three fold variety.

Click
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually used to make planes just like that without the tail.  A friend taught me in grade school.

They work very well if you tape a dime or penny in the nose.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hate to admit it, but I gave up after 2 hopelessly crumpled sheets of paper.  Watching the animations didn't seem to help, and I've been building model planes for 35 years.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw that.  I used to make those without the tail all the time, it's not a better design.

I know of a better design and it's not as hard to make.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Screw that.  I used to make those without the tail all the time, it's not a better design.

No you dont
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I just made one and threw it at my co-worker!    I put a pen in it for some weight and ordinance!   it poked her eye!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
tag-o-la for work... when the boss is gone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Just tested one off the 4th floor... I fired it into the wind and it caught it, turned it around, did a hard landing/skidding on the roof I was standing on, then the breeze picked it up and carried it across the street for about 40 feet until it hit some dentist's window.. oh well, someone gets a free airplane tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer a nakamura lock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#11]
gotta try it when i get home
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been making paper airplanes like this since I was in second grade.  The "without tail" variation is a lot more aerobatic, but as I got older I began to appreciate the stability of the regular version.

There is also a good hang glider version too which is fun to fly indoors.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hate to admit it, but I gave up after 2 hopelessly crumpled sheets of paper.  Watching the animations didn't seem to help, and I've been building model planes for 35 years.

Making the third crease is the only hard part.  You take the sides of the paper and bend them up and back, bringing the center of the "X" into a point.  Line up the edges, and press down in the center making the creases.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#16]
With the exception of adding the tail, that is the way I was taught 30 years ago. (one of 3 ways I think)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Works pretty good. Did a full loop with mine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#18]
it works ok, took me 20 minutes to figure out parts 16-20

txl
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]
tag for later
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I hit President Nixon with a paper airplane in the early 70's
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#22]
FWIW we had a course (training) that involved making a paper airplane in accordance to specifications.

My team used my lazy idea of the regular three fold deal. No paper clips/weights, nothing. Just a simple paper airplane design with sharp folds.

It flew the farthest, the straightest, and hit the target 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Okay, you're required to tell the story now.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag for lunch
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#26]
The instructions were unclear and kind of complex.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#28]
My airplanes look like a canard delta, similar to the Saab Viggen. The extra weight caused by the folds up front for the 'little wings' results in a forward center of gravity, and plenty of momentum. Also means that impact at the other end is much better absorbed because of the increased rigidity. Must take a picture of one.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#29]
NASA came to my school once and he made a paper "tube", im sorry im hell for explaining online, but what he did was fold a piece of paper a few times so it was narrow and then joined it from end-to-end, so it looks like a stupid circle or tube-like or a ring-like shape. he sent it sailing across the whole gym, I was like "shit!". never for the life of me have been able to duplicate it. I am kicking myself in the ass for 16 years now. by the way.......... I am now 26
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Just tried it and must say it flies pretty well.
Have to try it again later.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#31]
tagaroo
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
NASA came to my school once and he made a paper "tube", im sorry im hell for explaining online, but what he did was fold a piece of paper a few times so it was narrow and then joined it from end-to-end, so it looks like a stupid circle or tube-like or a ring-like shape. he sent it sailing across the whole gym, I was like "shit!". never for the life of me have been able to duplicate it. I am kicking myself in the ass for 16 years now. by the way.......... I am now 26

I'm not  sure if it's the same design, but when I was in college we used to construct the tube/ring paper airplanes.  The  things would sail an unbeliveable distance.  It's not easy to explain without a diagram, but
they are very simple to construct.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#34]
The boss' sister had a flat tire so he's out of the office.

Construction begins!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you dont

I bet I do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I have found that a wadded up little ball of paper will fly farther than almost any other plane made from 8.5x11" college ruled. (if you have a decent arm)  Sometimes simpler is better.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the linky's!

I'll try them out with the kids tonight!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I got stumped at step 18 and quit at that point. The plane flew great... Right into the fucking trash.
The pics are hard to see... need to be alot bigger...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yup.  The RingWing...  Second one in this PDF:  AerospaceMuseum.org PDF file

ETA:  The RingWing I used to make was square in cross section, not diagonal like this one.

That's it.

My dorm room was on the 8th floor. We'd construct the "ringWings" by the dozens and launch them out the window. Sometimes they'd auger in, but  when thrown just right and a little bit of tail-wind, they'd sail until they were out of sight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He came to speak here in Jackson, MS ... I guess it was 1973 or 1974. Our class went to see him here at the Jackson Coliseum. I found one of those small popcorn boxes they used to sell popcorn in way back then. Since I always had an interest in aircraft as a child I used to build some pretty cool paper airplanes. Well I knew this popcorn box would make a jam-up-cool airplane. it was a freakin' masterpiece. I was WAY up in the nosebleed section when I let 'er fly. It circled the Coliseum several times, flying in a perfect diameter circle, it had ALOT of airtime, well when it started to lose altitude the circles got a little smaller. To make a long story short, the plane came to rest by skipping accross the Presidential podium and hitting President Nixon in the chest. he picked it up and commented on what a fine airplane that was and gave mention to all the school students visiting in the upper section. I acted like nothing happened. If anyone knew I threw it, they never said anything.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He came to speak here in Jackson, MS ... I guess it was 1973 or 1974. Our class went to see him here at the Jackson Coliseum. I found one of those small popcorn boxes they used to sell popcorn in way back then. Since I always had an interest in aircraft as a child I used to build some pretty cool paper airplanes. Well I knew this popcorn box would make a jam-up-cool airplane. it was a freakin' masterpiece. I was WAY up in the nosebleed section when I let 'er fly. It circled the Coliseum several times, flying in a perfect diameter circle, it had ALOT of airtime, well when it started to lose altitude the circles got a little smaller. To make a long story short, the plane came to rest by skipping accross the Presidential podium and hitting President Nixon in the chest. he picked it up and commented on what a fine airplane that was and gave mention to all the school students visiting in the upper section. I acted like nothing happened. If anyone knew I threw it, they never said anything.

Fricken Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
tag

yep
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWEET! Man, that must have taken some balls! I'd be afraid of the Secret Service drawing down on me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#45]
This sure could have come in handy for that paper air plane contest in the 4th grade
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#47]
TAG...

-John
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I learned to make a Ring Wing from a guy at JSC in Houston.  I was attending a local space camp back in junior high.  Those things flew great!  Ours had a square cross section and with a little practice, you could aim them with pretty good accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWEET! Man, that must have taken some balls! I'd be afraid of the Secret Service drawing down on me.

Well it was 1974, The po-po didn't taze little kids and old ladies back then .....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top