Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 5:57:07 PM EDT
Anybody in the GA area know how this turned out?

www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_57470.asp
City OK's Permits to Shoot Squirrels
posted October 20, 2004

The police chief in the east Georgia city of Washington, GA is hesitant to sanction gunfire on downtown streets.

Usually no shooting is allowed in the city limits.

But Chief Mike Davis admits squirrels are driving residents
nuts. He says his department keeps getting more and more complaints.

Last week, the Washington City Council approved a special in-town season for squirrels. Residents are allowed to shoot the squirrels from 8:15 a-m to noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Davis says the squirrels start out in the attic, get into the walls of houses and sometimes chew their way into living rooms. The rodents even chewed through the wires in the chief's home -- causing a computer to short out and his refrigerator to defrost.

Rules for shooting say residents must use single-shot shotguns and obtain a three-dollar permit from the chief. That also entitles them to a personal lecture about firearms safety. NO rifles are allowed.

Davis says the permits will be issued only to local property owners, who also must have a valid Georgia hunting license.

Shooters also must adhere to the state-imposed bag limit of 12 squirrels per day.

So far, the chief has issued only one permit, but he says others are pending.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Start practicing!

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Rules for shooting say residents must use single-shot shotguns

I'm assuming 410ga shotguns?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anybody in the GA area know how this turned out?

www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_57470.asp
City OK's Permits to Shoot Squirrels
posted October 20, 2004

The police chief in the east Georgia city of Washington, GA is hesitant to sanction gunfire on downtown streets.

Usually no shooting is allowed in the city limits.

But Chief Mike Davis admits squirrels are driving residents
nuts. He says his department keeps getting more and more complaints.

Last week, the Washington City Council approved a special in-town season for squirrels. Residents are allowed to shoot the squirrels from 8:15 a-m to noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Davis says the squirrels start out in the attic, get into the walls of houses and sometimes chew their way into living rooms. The rodents even chewed through the wires in the chief's home -- causing a computer to short out and his refrigerator to defrost.

Rules for shooting say residents must use single-shot shotguns and obtain a three-dollar permit from the chief. That also entitles them to a personal lecture about firearms safety. NO rifles are allowed.

Davis says the permits will be issued only to local property owners, who also must have a valid Georgia hunting license.

Shooters also must adhere to the state-imposed bag limit of 12 squirrels per day.

So far, the chief has issued only one permit, but he says others are pending.

His own?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They didn't say. Time to start loading the 8 gauge. They should've allowed at least .22lr and .17hmr.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I may take something like this up with my city council. We are infested here in my small town but no shooting is allowed in the city limits. I have two .410's so why not. We haven't gotten a single pecan off our trees in almost ten years, little rats eat them before they ever hit the ground
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
squirrels are intelligent and friendly beasts. people should not shoot them. they have rights. if they dart out into traffic you should stop. if they get into your walls you should put some nice nuts out to feed them. they might starve or freeze or get we if you bar them from you home.

squirrels are the bearers of good fortune and they know where the leprachauns buried their treasure at the end of the rainbow and if you are nice they will creep into your bedroom whilst you sleep and whisper these secrets into your ear...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They didn't say. Time to start loading the 8 gauge. They should've allowed at least .22lr and .17hmr.

Ironically, guess what double-barrel damascus shotgun my grandparents have decided I will inherit?

Yep. 8-gauge. Even has unfired brass shells and paper shells too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
squirrels are intelligent and friendly beasts. people should not shoot them. they have rights. if they dart out into traffic you should stop. if they get into your walls you should put some nice nuts out to feed them. they might starve or freeze or get we if you bar them from you home.

squirrels are the bearers of good fortune and they know where the leprachauns buried their treasure at the end of the rainbow and if you are nice they will creep into your bedroom whilst you sleep and whisper these secrets into your ear...

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#10]
You need a permit to shoot squirrels????

FREE
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Slugs guys, slugs
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
All you need is a good spring pellet gun.  You can bag them all day long without any noise or real danger.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rules for shooting say residents must use single-shot shotguns

I'm assuming 410ga shotguns?

Possibly.  The media is famous for leaving details out and I would assume that would be the gauge the chief chose for firing within the city limits.  Good call.

Question after you shoot the "critters," what do you do with it? Is the meat edible?(I live in the city, okay).

An old worker's kid was feeding a squirrel by hand, and the beast bit off the end of the kid's finger tip, and had to be surgically reattached.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top