Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 4:23:29 PM EDT

Caught him under one of my brother's counters snacking on some bugs that had gotten under there. I caught him and put him in the dixie cup and took the photo not long after.

What is he? Some sort of gecko?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep just a house gecko, I have tons of them around my house.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Small pic, but yes looks like a gecko
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Can they be kept as pets?

My sister wanted to know....

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
People do keep em as pets. Some people turn em loose so they will eat the bugs in the house. If he will eat being captive then he should be ok, if not turn him loose.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
People do keep em as pets. Some people turn em loose so they will eat the bugs in the house. If he will eat being captive then he should be ok, if not turn him loose.

I ended up letting him go outside on the porch. Much more useful out there, and I'd hate to clean him off the bottom of my shoe because he bleds in VERY well with the tile in my brother's kitchen.

ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
faded, you must live near me, thats a mediterranean gecko, they were brought over thru the ship channel and have spread, there are other natural species but that a mediterranean gecko
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
faded, you must live near me, thats a mediterranean gecko, they were brought over thru the ship channel and have spread, there are other natural species but that a mediterranean gecko

If they're from the mediteranean do they taste good in Pesto sauce?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, but you need alot
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can they be kept as pets?

My sister wanted to know....

Yup it's a Gecko and you can keep him as a pet.  Pet store should have mealy(spelling?) that it will eat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
mealworms
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
How much did he save you on car insurance?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

None, I already have geico.

ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Fadedsun,
Funny, not 10 minutes ago I just tossed one out the front door into the grass at the request of the wife.  She can't stand 'em.  I on the other hand think there pretty neat eating bugs, and just hanging out in the evenings on the exterior walls of the house.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Fadedsun,
Funny, not 10 minutes ago I just tossed one out the front door into the grass at the request of the wife.  She can't stand 'em.  I on the other hand think there pretty neat eating bugs, and just hanging out in the evenings on the exterior walls of the house.

I don't have any around my house (The pic was taken at my brother's house). My boss's place, however, has tons of the little critters. They like to sun themselves on the white rocks next to the pasture. I'll try to get pics of them sometime, but they're good at spotting me before I can get within camera distance.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

None, I already have geico.

ben

how well does he do the robot?????
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Had you chosen to keep him I'm sure he's be easily sustained on young crikcets till he got bigger.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Had you chosen to keep him I'm sure he's be easily sustained on young crikcets till he got bigger.

The problem would be finding young crickets. I don't ever see them, just adult crickets bigger than the gecko.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, we get them all the time.  Leave them in the house, and they eat bugs.

They also provide ENDLESS entertainment for housecats.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent a summer with a Venezuelan family on an exchange program in high school.  Their house used to have huge geckos on the kitchen walls that could bark like a dog.  Freaky.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
House geckos are COOL.
I wish we had them here.
Course, I wish we had trees too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
It's the Geico rep!!!!!!!  You better turn him loose or Geico will sue you......

It is a gecko and yes, they make pretty good pets (If he will eat in captivity)  They are cute and even if it does bite you, it will definitely not hurt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yeah, we get them all the time.  Leave them in the house, and they eat bugs.

They also provide an ENDLESS food supply entertainment for housecats.

Fixed it for ya

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Can he do the robot?

HH
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's the Geico rep!!!!!!!  You better turn him loose or Geico will sue you......

It is a gecko and yes, they make pretty good pets (If he will eat in captivity)  They are cute and even if it does bite you, it will definitely not hurt.

Wish I could have found one that was larger so I could find food for him more easily. Going rooting around the yard at 1am for gecko food isn't my idea of fun!

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Can he do the robot?

HH

Not that I saw, he mostly flickered his tongue out at me and ran around....but of course I didn't play the robot song, so I guess next time I do find a gecko....

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Snake bashing non TX female here...I vote Gecko can stay: he eats the bugs...
<wonders if I could tie baby crickets around Mr. Playmore's neck so that the gecko could amuse me.....>
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#28]
how much did you save on insurence by switching to geico?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
how much did you save on insurence by switching to geico?

NO clue, I've always had geico.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Let him back outside to eat your bugs
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Some petshops sell live crickets. You might want to try that route.

The outside walls of my house and brick fences are covered with these critters. They eat the bugs and provide endless entertainment for the dogs. Unfortunately, it's nasty finding half-decomposed geckos in the pool skimmer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Snake bashing Texas woman here...

Geckos are cute, but whatever you do DON'T KILL IT OR PETA'LL HAVE YOUR ASS!!!

Hmm, is your advice the same for snakes?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Geckos are awesome. They hang around our porch lights to eat bugs. The most useful thing they do is eat the large cockroaches that invade your house and they LOVE to sneak in and eat yellow jacket larvae while the adults sleep.

The meditteranean geckos are pretty small, the local ones get much bigger and make awesome pets. Pet stores will have leopard geckos and other breeds which get even bigger.

Pet stores will have pinhead crickets for feeding small reptiles until they graduate to full-sized crickets and meal worms.

Do NOT leave a large number of crickets, especially full-size crickets, in the terrarium with your reptile/amphibian! They can cause unsanitary conditions and like to chew on soft body parts, like the webbing or pads of the feet, of your pet. If they aren't eaten within five minutes, remove them and put them back in to be eaten alive at a later time.

Tarantulas, scorpions, and similar critters should be okay with one or two crickets running loose in the terrarium.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Geckos are awesome. They hang around our porch lights to eat bugs. The most useful thing they do is eat the large cockroaches that invade your house and they LOVE to sneak in and eat yellow jacket larvae while the adults sleep.

The meditteranean geckos are pretty small, the local ones get much bigger and make awesome pets. Pet stores will have leopard geckos and other breeds which get even bigger.

Pet stores will have pinhead crickets for feeding small reptiles until they graduate to full-sized crickets and meal worms.

Do NOT leave a large number of crickets, especially full-size crickets, in the terrarium with your reptile/amphibian! They can cause unsanitary conditions and like to chew on soft body parts, like the webbing or pads of the feet, of your pet. If they aren't eaten within five minutes, remove them and put them back in to be eaten alive at a later time.

Tarantulas, scorpions, and similar critters should be okay with one or two crickets running loose in the terrarium.

In case I ever manage to catch one of the adult ones at the ranch I'll remember this. I'm not into lizards but a gecko would be a sweet pet. Are they hand-tame?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]
To keep them alive first get a tank . and substrate (sand) . Buy a light about maybe 60 watts and hang it over one side of the tank. You need to have one side of the tank cool and the other side warm so they can regulate thire own body temp. Thats a must! They like to hide as well so put something he can crawl into to sleep and hide , for both sides. The best food you can use is crickets you can buy small , medium and large. The pic that you posted makes me think you need to buy small crickets , to keep the crickets alive longer just put a small slice of orange in with them.

Keep the temp on the warm side of the tank around , 83% dont go over 90 if you can. Keep a little thing of fresh water on the cool side.  Feed the little guy every day if he wants to eat , they will also shed thire skin as they grow. You can tell they are about to shed is he with become a dull grey.
Theres alot more to know.

Anyways I have had a  gecko as a pet for 5 years now , so far what im doing is working. If you need any more info on gecko care ill try and help.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In case I ever manage to catch one of the adult ones at the ranch I'll remember this. I'm not into lizards but a gecko would be a sweet pet. Are they hand-tame?

Ben

Depends on the gecko. Generally, no; they'll haul ass and skitter away from you. If you present part of your hand that sticks out from the rest, like, say, your thumb, the larger ones may bite. It's not bad, a mild pinching sensation, but it's still not pleasant.

An anole, the lizards that change from green to brown and drop their tails to avoid being eaten, is slightly more difficult to catch than a gecko. Geckos rely on speed and the ability to climb ANY surface to escape. Anoles are not only fast little suckers, but they will squirm and bodily hurl themselves in a desperate bid to escape your clutches. They also tend to bite a lot more readily than geckos. Their teeth are sharper, so the bite is more painful, and their teeth have a disturbing tendency to detach and remain inside your flesh. I've had to squeeze lizard teeth out of my fingers like tiny zits on more than one occassion.

In any case, both geckos and anoles make great terrarium pets once they get used to you. I have a BIG old male anole who lives outside my bedroom window and eats the giant cockroaches that try invading the house every summer. He's pretty tame and comes inside my bedroom through little cracks in the wall (my room was converted from a garage and has a bay window instead of a garage door) to stay warm in winter. Two of his spawn have started living in the same spot but haven't yet been spotted indoors.

In my dorm room, on the other hand, I'm constantly catching tiny, juvenile geckos and taking them outside to avoid being stepped on. I think they came in to aid us with the bewildering invasion of ladybugs we had last semester.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Nother good trick it to yank the hind legs off the crickets as you put them into the terrarium.  Makes them easier to catch for the predator and doesn't keep you up at night if your pet doesn't catch them.

I'm considering getting a bearded dragon right now.  Ideally I'd like to put together a 5t gallon freshwater aquarium and have it force fed CO2 so I can grow a good number of plants, but student budgets suck.  One cheap to feed reptile in a 25 gallon tank may be all I'm able to handle.

Carrying for my buddies African Horned Toad right now.  Damn this guy is easy.  4 feeder fish once a week, make sure he's got water and that's it.  No other care.

He does seem to gobble up more pebbles than I'd like though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top