Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 8:00:55 AM EDT
Ok... school is starting soon.  My boy is going into the 8th grade.  They now have to tote all of their books around (can't use lockers).  He goes through the cheap Wal-Mart brand back packs like toilet paper.  I decided to go ahead and get him a good quality pack that will last him.

I've been leaning at one from Maxpedition.  I also love Eagle Industries.  Any other brands I should look at?  Any thoughts from the great hive mind?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
My Cold Water Canyon one lasted 5 years, my last year in Jr. High, and all of my High School years, but then again, i throught it around like ragdoll either, well, not most of the time...

But anyways, it was a great backpack, i still have it to this day, idk where it is though...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get him any pack that has a lifetime warranty.  Even a Jansport will do.  I have one that is 20 years old and has been repaired twice for free.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#3]
LL Bean. If it wears out, they will give you a new one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had My Oakley bag for I think 8plus years and it looks like it did when I got it. This thing is a tank. I was a climbing instructor and one day I was bored out of my mind. Tightened it up and tied it up and it held me, so no problem with the toilet paper issue.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/packs%20main/images%20for%20pages/oak_sm_icon.jpg
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Most of the stuff you pick up at an Outfitter like REI or EMS will be a lot tougher than most of the generic wallworld crap.

Most reasonably priced brand names (REI, Gregory, Jansport, Kelty, Lowe) will probably last him a very long time.

I carry most of my stuff to/from work on a Gregory thats about 5 years old at this point.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
How much do you want to spend?  

www.kifaru.net
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top