Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 5:01:23 AM EDT
www.juliett484.org/juliett/index.html

Our summer schedule for 2005 is now in effect, and this former Soviet cruise missile submarine is open to the public. Juliett 484, a 300-foot long, diesel-powered Cold War veteran, is moored at Collier Point Park in Providence, Rhode Island and is waiting to be boarded.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The Corba was in Seattle.

This is the same city that protested the USN sub Alabama.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I did my time on subs.  If I never see, or smell , the inside of another one, I be happy with that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

hr

What does Seattle have to do with Providence?  Providence is the capital of Rhode Island,  not Washington.

I have been to this exhibit.  I never got to go inside because it was closed even though it was supposed to be open.  It looked like it would of been cramped,  dirty,  and musty anyways.

And there was this KGB looking guy sleeping outside the exhibit that looked like he was waiting to assasinate someone he thought was going to show up or to eavesdrop on everyone.

It looked like it was made out of paper mache.  Very ugly up close.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I did my time on subs.  If I never see, or smell , the inside of another one, I be happy with that.

Smell? What do subs smell like?

What sub were you on?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
looks like the bow is covered in duct tape.........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That article was simply amazing. I need to go wash my eyes out after reading it. What a bunch of dumbasses.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool,  Finally a reason to visit that God-forsaken state.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
looks like the bow is covered in duct tape.........

That is the conformal passive sonar array seen on man Soviet boats of that era.  The hydrophones are located under the silver coated area.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smell? What do subs smell like?

What sub were you on?

A combination of diesel fuel, lube oil, cooking grease, 110+ men's BO, 110+ men's stinky farts, briney bilge water, shit and piss (depending on the cleanliness of the head), just to name a few.  It is a smell that literally sticks to your skin.  When I came home from ops, I was ordered by my wife to strip everything off in the garage and immediately throw it in the washer and to take a long shower.  Only after that would she come near me.  She absolutely hated to pick me up because she had to spend 45min in the car with me smelling like that.

I was on the USS Sandlance, SSN660 for a couple of years.  You are probably using razor blades made from its hull, or so the joke goes, as I believe it is no longer in service.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I was on the USS Sandlance, SSN660 for a couple of years.  You are probably using razor blades made from its hull, or so the joke goes, as I believe it is no longer in service.

Holy crap, my father was on the Sandlance when it was out of Charleston.  Of course this was before I was born... pre-1980.  I guess when you have to deal with it for days on end, the smell can get a little irritating.  But when I went on board, I loved the diesel smell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap, my father was on the Sandlance when it was out of Charleston.  Of course this was before I was born... pre-1980.  I guess when you have to deal with it for days on end, the smell can get a little irritating.  But when I went on board, I loved the diesel smell.

I was on it in the early '90s.  The smell of diesel exhaust out of a large diesel still makes me want to .  You only smell the sub smell when you get on and off.  You don't notice it/get used to it when you're under water for days on end.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I'll stop by it this weekend, always wondered why it was there if you couldn't go in it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Drive by it every day and have never been in. Time to take the kids.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top