Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2005 9:41:24 PM EDT
Now......... according to the ordinance volume must be at an acceptable level after 11pm on weeknights and 1 am weekends.

I've already talked to my downstairs neighbor before about the volume of his music/surround sound during the week at 1 am since I could hear it through my floor.

It is now 12:30 and for the past 15 minutes I have had to listen to whatever music he's been playing.  Unfortunately, the sound comes through the loudest right underneath my daughter's bedroom floor and the hallway floor.

I'm about to go knock on his door yet again!! due to the racket.

It's extremely rude and he's already been made well aware of the situation.  I hate draggin my butt down the stairs in my pajamas to gripe at this guy.  As far as I know, he doesn't speak very good English because every time I hear him on the phone or speaking, it's never in English!!!!!  However, he seemed to understand me okay last time we spoke, even though he only muttered the words "Ah Shit!" and "Sorry!".

How should I do this to make it perfectly clear to him that he needs to keep his volume down in accordance with the noise ordinance???????
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Call the cops.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Report him to the building mgr. or the courtesy officer. Does he drive a jeep?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
what language does he speak?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to drag the courtesy officer out this late.  Building manager?  Property office.... but they're not open right now.

I have no clue what language it is to be honest............

Jeep?  I missed something.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
tell him face to face, say it's centerd under your kids room, if that doesnt do it, get up ar 4am everyday and jump and dance around, that should do it
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Pissed off female is a universal concept and requires no language.

He'll understand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Cut a hole in the floor and draw down. Its the only way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
tell him face to face, say it's centerd under your kids room, if that doesnt do it, get up ar 4am everyday and jump and dance around, that should do it

We had this exact same talk this past week....... where he said "Sorry" and turned it down.  But 4 days later, here we are again!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I hate to drag the courtesy officer out this late.  Building manager?  Property office.... but they're not open right now.

Nevrmind dear, I was just being obnoxous.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's an idea...

So my wife says I Overreacted and might have anger issues.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hate to drag the courtesy officer out this late.

THAT"S THEIR JOB!

Building manager?  Property office.... but they're not open right now.

Then report him in the morning.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pissed off female is a universal concept and requires no language.

He'll understand.

Yup.

Or just call the police.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Draw down and then turn it down for him?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nevrmind dear, I was just being obnoxous.

You should dig the link up for her.....lol
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate to drag the courtesy officer out this late.

THAT"S THEIR JOB!

Sgat1r5

Hehehe.. you don't know my city.  They don't really "work" here  I'll drag him outta bed at 1 am and I'll have citations on my car for the next month.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Knock,knock

"Could you please keep the noise down, uncle Bill is trying to sleep
and he's been drinking."

"Don't mess with uncle Bill when he's been drinking!"

Thank you.

GM
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
priceless

Incase anyone missed it: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=368490

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd say report a terrorist training camp in the apartment below you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Drill down almost through to his ceiling and then let water drip in.  Eventually the water builds up under the latex paint like a big balloon and then it bursts soaking him.  Although a good manager will figure the water came from you.  Drill hole and drip stinky stuff into his clothes closet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I would say call the manager.  The manager can them call him and tell him to turn it down.  Make sure you tell the manager that if he doesn't resolve the issue permanently, you'll find him in violation of your lease agreement, since most states require that a landlord provides a safe rental environment free of nuisance.  Repeated status violations wouldn't be a safe environment in my opinion.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#22]
At exactly 7am (which is when most noise ordinances end) crank up the volume in your place and leave for the day.

Let him know you'll respect his sleep schedule when he starts respecting yours.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
At exactly 7am (which is when most noise ordinances end) crank up the volume in your place and leave for the day.

Let him know you'll respect his sleep schedule when he starts respecting yours.

During the day I'll battle him with volume and generally win.

However, to do it non-stop the entire day would only make more people suffer... i. e. my next door neighbor and the people across the hall with 2 kids.

I'm not that mean.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
priceless

Quoted:

I have read the references to the post but some how missed it.  Holy Crap MrClean, your my hero!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Hey jackass, knock knock,  the officer gets a minimum of half his rent paid if not all of it to handle these issues for you.  
Just kidding about the jackass part.  My mom and stepdad both are in apartments.  As in managment and maintanence.  It's their job make them handle it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like a good time to practice dribbling a basketball.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#27]
It is not uncommon for apartments to have a centrally-located circuit breaker panel.

I'm just sayin ...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It is not uncommon for apartments to have a centrally-located circuit breaker panel.

I'm just sayin ...

tru-dat!!!!!!!!!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
My vote is for a "hole in the floor draw down".

Best idea yet!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a remote control for the stereo they have and mess with it through the peep hole in the door
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Call the cops.

Cop shows up...What?  No comprendo?  What?  Illegal alien?  Whoopsies.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Go to a local sporting goods store and buy some skunk or raccon piss cover scent.  Every morning on the way to work poor a little bit in front of his door and on his door knob.  The smell will get onto his hands and feet as he enters and leaves his apt.  Hopefully he will track it inside his place and stink it up too.  It may not really help the volume situation but damn, it will make you feel a little better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#33]
A little of the high octane OC Bear Spray on the door knob morning, noon and night might send a message.  Accidently dropping the can and having it discharge underneath the door might send the message faster
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I have some sounds I could send ya I put together just for this kinda thing
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Go to a bar and find some interesting, large, rednecks or bikers to help.

Bascially their job is to knock on the neighbor's door and educate him about the fact that they will shove the stereo up his ass if the volume doesn't stay at a civil level around the clock, seven days a week.

A six pack each is probably way sufficient pay for some guys hapy to help out a gal.  If the turd is Middle Eastern, it's probably gratis.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#37]
THIS is the reason why I'll never live
in an apartment again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:11:35 AM EDT
[#38]
There are several things you can do, but one I'd suggest is getting that courtesy officer or apt manager over to deal with it at all hours.  They will be so sick of dealing with it at 1am that they will tell the guy they will evict him.

And, find that circuit breaker panel, find out which is his, and flip it off every time he cranks his music.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
After many years of living in apartments, I cam to the realization the only way it would ever end is to buy a house.

DING! DING! DING!

This is the correct answer.  As long as you live in a situuation where you do not control both sides of your walls, this will continue to happen in one way or another. Consider each little hassle as motivation to sock away the $$$ toward a down payment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#40]
No one's said it yet? DRAW DOWN!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Got a basketball? If not, then buy one. They cost about $5 for a cheap one.

Everytime the volume on his shit goes up, practice your dribbling.

Believe me, it won't take long!

edited to add: Whoops, just saw Rodent's post.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Any other neighbors affected? Well, you could all go to the property manager's office as a group and demand it be made clear at which time the music goes OFF in his apartment.

-or-

What language does he speak if you can determine? You could put together an informational note for him and translate it into his language online, print it out and give it to him.

Google has the major languages here
www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Polish here:
www.poltran.com/

Altavista does Russian, too:
babelfish.altavista.com/

-or-

Go to his door wearing an AR15 shirt and a loaded magazine in your hand - in fact use the magazine to knock on his door. When you knock on the door, knock once per second and do not stop until he opens the door. He'll then know what it feels like to hear the bass sounds continuously thumping. Make it a point that you're not happy with the loud music.

-or-

The sheeple answer would be to put in a set of earplugs and deal with it. (I'm pretty sure you won't be doing this - right?)

-or-

Host an Arfcom party. There's plenty of us that'd be more than happy to show up and have a talk with the guy in exchange for sammiches
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Buy a house.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#44]
If you know his apartment number go down stairs, find the outside A/C locations, find his and turn the disconnect off. He is making your enviroment uncomfortable right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Do what my obnoxious UPSTAIRS neighbor used to do:

Vacuum and wear bricks on your feet at 3am in the morning.

No shit.  They would vacuum and at least stomp around and hit all the walls and furniture with the friggen machine.  I never knew them or made any noise myself, and gone 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Buy a house.

Gee, why didn't I think of this!!  By the way...... can I borrow $150,000?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Any other neighbors affected? Well, you could all go to the property manager's office as a group and demand it be made clear at which time the music goes OFF in his apartment.

-or-

What language does he speak if you can determine? You could put together an informational note for him and translate it into his language online, print it out and give it to him.

Umm.. do they do south african languages?

-or-

The sheeple answer would be to put in a set of earplugs and deal with it. (I'm pretty sure you won't be doing this - right?)

No, I will NOT be doing this!

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-or-

-or-

Hmm... I know a girl who works at a restaurant in my patrol area who's from there. Wonder if besides English, she knows one of South Africa's other official languages Afrikaans, English, Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele, Venda, Swati, Sesotho, Sepedi, Tsonga and Tswana. So what do your neighbors speak?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-or-

-or-

Hmm... I know a girl who works at a restaurant in my patrol area who's from there. Wonder if besides English, she knows one of South Africa's other official languages Afrikaans, English, Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele, Venda, Swati, Sesotho, Sepedi, Tsonga and Tswana. So what do your neighbors speak?

Beats the crap outta me, I'll try to eavesdrop better when he's talkin on his cellphone on his patio and see if I can make anything out

Either way, none of those were on the google language translator.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
priceless

Quoted:

Now that's a story with a happy ending.  >LMAO  BRAVO
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top