Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 11:30:23 AM EDT
Looks freaking awesome.
I got a question though....
Alan Grant,being this the second time encountering dinos,having the first time being so traumatic,you would think he WOULD be packing an AR-15 or HK-91 or something.In all the pics I've seen,they are just walking around in standard hiking flannel and whatnot.I heard that there are a pair of "gun nuts" which are on board the plane to the island,but I'm guessing they died in the crash,since only the main 4 are alive.I guess no weapons were on board,otherwise I'm sure the survivors would have been smart enough to salvage them.If I was in charge,I would make sure everyone was comfortable and profieciant with all the weaponry,and there would be plans in place in case of something going wrong.Does not seem like they planned to well.Also,I just watched the original JP,and when Sam Neil opens up on the raptor with the SPAS-12 (he misses with all his shots) it appears that after three shots,he stops.You then see the SPAS-12 on the floor,with a spent shell stuck in the chamber.I guess he had extraction problem huh?
He was shooting semi-auto.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, from the trailer, Grant was not informed they were going to land, he was paid to give them a guided tour from the comforts of a flying plane, not a walk-around tour.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the first one lookedn pretty relalistic.The only part I can find fault in is when the t-rex eats the lawyer.He would have puked after that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Also,the T-rex gets killed by the Spinosaurus.
I saw a clip on Entertainment Tonight which showed a Petrodactyl sitting in a river,facing the camera.Looked VERY realistic.Spooky realistic.
I'm hoping they find a weapons cache on the island.In the book,there's very well equipped armories on both islands,with self-loading rifles,and even some LAWs for use against larger animals.Robert Muldoon (JP game warden) was the one who stocked the armories.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The original was on Saturday night.  When he opened the gun cabinet when they were in the emergency bunker, there were quite a few folder shotguns with pistol grips and a bunch of ARs.  By all logic, those would still be there.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn get the AR's and kill the stupid lizards
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damn get the AR's and kill the stupid lizards
View Quote
Unfortunately, I don't believe the ARs would do much against most of the dinosaurs.  Maybe, on full auto, the raptors.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
LARRY G,you are right!!!!
in the original JP,I never noticed the AR-15s,I only saw the SPAS-12s.
After your post,I watched the part on VHS,and sure enough,I paused,and I clearly saw AT LEAST three AR-15's!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention!!
I saw a 20' with what appeared to be a grenade launcher,and a carbine length one next to it.WHY DID'NT MULDOON TAKE THE AR-15 INSTEAD?!??!??
You NEED hi-capacity,hi-power,self-loading rifles for Raptors....
I stared at my AR-15 for a bit afterwards....if it's good enough for the game warden at Jurassic Park,it's good enough for my hiking trips!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
The original was on Saturday night.  When he opened the gun cabinet when they were in the emergency bunker, there were quite a few folder shotguns with pistol grips and a bunch of ARs.  By all logic, those would still be there.  Hmmm.
View Quote

I don't know Larry G, I bet it would get the dinosaurs REALLY ticked off!

I think I'd be wanting a Barrett-minimum.  A vulcan cannon would be really nice to have.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WHY DID'NT MULDOON TAKE THE AR-15 INSTEAD?!??!??
You NEED hi-capacity,hi-power,self-loading rifles for Raptors....
View Quote
He could have stood out in the clear and started mowing down bush instead of having to creep in amongst them.  I would have also armed Laura Dern to back me up and to afford protection for herself.  Nomad, go back and watch Laura's face when he pulls the shotgun out and loads it.  First, she stares at the guns (not with fear it seems) and then looks at Muldoon in a way that I swear is passion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont think a SPAS would do much damage do the raptors even at close range. you are gonna need power 30cal and up. turret mounted 50cal would do nicely
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Matt S:
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
View Quote

I don't know Larry G, I bet it would get the dinosaurs REALLY ticked off!

I think I'd be wanting a Barrett-minimum.  A vulcan cannon would be really nice to have.
View Quote
You got my vote on the Vulcan, in at least 20mm.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I think Muldoon should have brought out ALL the guns,and armed everyone,as soon as they shut down the system.That way,Mr.Arnold (sam jackson) would have been able to fight back,and the others would have probably heard the shots.He should not have been sent out to the shed alone in the first place.Yes,I have noticed Laura's stare at Robert.She seems to point the light at his face first.Sucks that he died,he seemed to be the most cool-headed guy there.He should have brought the AR-15 instead,armed Laura too,and stay together,insead of going off to kill the lead raptor.He knows better then to do that,since he is an experienced warden.....
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In the book,there's very well equipped armories on both islands,with self-loading rifles,and even some LAWs for use against larger animals.Robert Muldoon (JP game warden) was the one who stocked the armories.
View Quote

Whats the name of the book?  Is it actually named Jurassic Park 3?  Or did it get named like the other 2?  Was the movie made after the book or vice versa?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#14]
There was never a Jurassic Park 3 book.The other two films had a book come first.
This third movie takes place four years after the failed INGEN funded expedition back to site B,to retrieve animals for financial recovery purposes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There was never a Jurassic Park 3 book.The other two films had a book come first.
This third movie takes place four years after the failed INGEN funded expedition back to site B,to retrieve animals for financial recovery purposes.
View Quote

Then which book were you referencing?  1 or 2?

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
No, no , no. You've got all wrong.
Remember what grant said(and apparently muldoon never learned) about how they hunt in packs? The vulcan's too bulky. While you're busy blasting one into raptor puree, his buddies come from the sides and eat you(Unless that vulcan happens to be mounted on a A-10).
I second the turret-mounted fifty. Mobility plus power. I would still much prefer being airborne, though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Then which book were you referencing?  1 or 2?

View Quote
Eric, we are talking about the first JP movie, for which there is a corresponding book.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
ERIC_A,I was referring to part 2.However,in the second book (the lost world) there was no hunter group.In the movie Lost World,the story was modified.The movie has a INGEN hunting group,and they all get killed.Most of the "hunters" were porters,and lacked proper training,and had no military background.If the expedition had well-trained men,losses would be slim.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont think a SPAS would do much damage do the raptors even at close range. you are gonna need power 30cal and up. turret mounted 50cal would do nicely
View Quote
The raptors are small enough that the SPAS or even an AR on full auto could take them down IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#20]
but in the first book they had alot of high crade bang bangs in the armory and the NERVE gas the island thast why the second book is on a diffrent island!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Larry G:
The raptors are small enough that the SPAS or even an AR on full auto could take them down IMHO.
View Quote
u would need some kind of ap round thu who knows how thick those skins are
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Wait a second. Weren't some of you guys ripping on the .223's ability to stop a bunch of Somalians? If stopping human beings with the .223 is questionable, what do you think it's gonna do to a 300 lb killing machine? For the SPAS-12, I'm thinking deerslugs. I wouldn't go with less than 30 cal Barnes-X bullets of 200 grains or heavier.

Hypothetically in terms of toughness, what would you equate a Velociraptor to?  Wild boar? Mule deer? For any larger than a raptor, smallarms ain't gonna cut it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#23]
LarryG,

The game wardens first mistake was thinking he was the wolf instead of thinking he was the rabbit.

He shoudl have stripped off all of his clothes and lost every offensive weapon he had, including filing his nails down.

He might have then survived.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I must be in the wrong thread...I thought I read

"your ass is packed 3" (times)
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#25]
LARRY G,or anyone who has the DVD,could somebody do a screen capture of the inside of the locker? I wanna make it my wallpaper:)
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#26]
At the beginning of JP1,when they are loading the raptor into the pen,notice that most of the guys have stunguns,but there are like,5 guys with AR-15's.
When Muldoon gives the OK to kill the raptor while it's mauling the gate-keeper,an armed guard fires three shots at close range with an AR-15.It kills the raptor.Now,it's off screen,but one can guess that even one round of 5.56mm at that range to the head would have killed the animal instantly.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#27]
at the end of JP1 in the book they bomb or napalm the crap out of the island so technically there couldnt be a 3rd movie unless it took place on the island from JP2 also on the movie of JP2 when the boat crashes into the dock what killed the crew the tyranasaurus was still in the pen with its young how did the crew get killed?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Nomad, how about trying to kill a grizzly bear with a single round to the head?

Wanna bet your life on it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I just hope JP3 doesn't suck as much as JP2:The Lost World.

First one was great. The second one really sucked BAD.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Burn,yes,in the first book the Costa Rican Army sends in gunships to gun down the animals.Obviously many animals were not killed,since alot of the island has canopy.
Hielo,I would not shoot a single round.I don't know if that's something you might do,but then again,you did think it up.Don't be so confrontational.
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LARRY G,or anyone who has the DVD,could somebody do a screen capture of the inside of the locker? I wanna make it my wallpaper:)
View Quote
I have it on VHS, so no joy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Saw a pre-release screening of JP3 last night. Pretty entertaining; certainly kept females in the audience jumping/screaming. However, there are very few gun scenes in the movie--just the opening and closing scenes, really. (I think it's a Barrett or something in the opener.) [^]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Was it a Barrett? Plus they call it a 20mm.

The ending was dumb.

I still like the first book best.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Looked like a Barret,it had the same muzzle break too.The guy who had it gets eaten by the Spinosaurus.You can hear him firing like,eight shots at it.I don't think he hit it at all.
If he did,then here's the damage the Spinosaurus takes during the film
1.shot who know's how many times with a .50
2.HIT BY A SMALL PLANE!!!
3.Lit on fire.
4.Stuff falls on him alot.
5.Get's bitten three times on the neck,when the T-rex puts a death vise on his neck.
6.stabbed by barrier fence pikes.
After all that,he just wanders off.I thought it was cool how you could hear the cell-phone in his stomach......
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#35]
All in all, it's pretty good and entertaining, with excellent animatronics and computer graphics, but I also thought the ending was weak and the story line as a whole very predictable. Personally, I'd see "Shrek" again before going to see "JP3," but each of us has his/her own tastes in everything. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Time to end it it is getting old.  If I were on that island I would have some form of high powered weapon.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#37]
In most of Africa, 375 is the minimum caliber allowed for dangerous game. And on big african critters, the small real fast bullet theory doesn't seem to work like it does on 200lb and below.

I'd feel extremely underarmed with any 30 cal rifle, with the possible exception of the 1919
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top