Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 8:39:39 PM EDT
And I just don't mean the military advantages like eliminating the need for a mainland invasion which would have resulted in the deaths of far more Japanese then the combined totals for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

And I just don't mean the political advantages like keeping Stalin from invading Northern Japan which would have resulted in a communist partition of Japan as was seen later in Korea and Vietnam.

What about THIS GUY?

If not for the BOMB we'd have never gotten Godzilla movies or the numerous cheesy sequals that we all loved as kids. Surely those films alone are worth say .... Nagasaki.

Not to mention all the other "radio active" inspired sci fi films like "The Incredible Shrinking Man" or any of the Giant This or That films.

And what about radiation cancer treatment. Had we not dropped those bombs I doubt we would ever figure out that if you are lucky you can kill the cancer and still live. I'm sure this little discovery has saved 100 times the number of folks killed at Hiroshima at least.

And how about Radioactive Carbon dating? Hows that for a contribution to human history and discovery? Finally we know how old stuff is beyond "Wow that looks really old to me."

And excuse me ummmmm NUCLEAR POWER. Too bad the hippies fucked this one up for us and regulated it into uselessness forcing us to rely on fossil fuels which they now bitch about us drilling for....sorry different rant. But if we actually relied on it nuclear could run our country for pennies on the dolllar for what we are currently paying.

All these things are the result of us dropping two bombs on a country that went out of their way to start a war with us. And besides paying them back for things like the Bataan Death March we got a lot of other tangible benefits from bombing them includings many they enjoy.

So on the anniversary of those dates can we just remind them of all of the above and tell them to shut the fuck up.

That is unless they have another decent Godzilla film. God I love those.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
THe best thing to come out of WWII was the big rabbits that were breed for meat.

I actually told that to a jewish chick at work the other day and she did not seem to pumped about it.

although you have to admit that the rabbits are much better than silly puddy, and tastier than a jeep.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
[Amy Carter] The bomb's the problem [/Amy Carter]

You forgot this one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
It also gave us ultra man.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have little problem with nuclear power. I have even less with solar, wind, and water power.

One potential source for power that goes largely untapped is the tide. Damn, we know when it's going to come in, when it's going to go out, and that it'll NEVER go away...yet very few power plants use the tide for generating electricity.

That's pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have little problem with nuclear power. I have even less with solar, wind, and water power.

One potential source for power that goes largely untapped is the tide. Damn, we know when it's going to come in, when it's going to go out, and that it'll NEVER go away...yet very few power plants use the tide for generating electricity.

That's pretty stupid.

Harnessing the tides would take away peoples beach front property.  Can't go and do that.  Especially if the property owners name is Kennedy...  Look up wind power and Kennedy...

Plus we are pretty well maximizing hydro electric power with the major dams.

I think the technology for Solar needs to improve but that is probably our most viable future source.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
What about microwaves! And a non-emission form of electric power.

And all of these great technologies we would not have if not for the nuclear age.

I raise my glass to nuclear power!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Well there is the fact that we aren't speaking German OR Japanes right now.

Just a thought
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Godzilla. My favorite anti-hero
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
You mean like my Subaru WRX?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Me. My paternal grandfather would have almost certainly been killed in the invasion of mainland Japan.

Eat a dick, hippes. Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]
<Amy> You can't hug an animal with nuclear arms.<Amy>
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Gamecube
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
US Superpower and nuke silo housing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
The Atomic Wedgie!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
We got to drop two atomic bombs on another country.

...that thought just makes me feel all fuzzy and want to go hug a Stealth bomber

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Atomic Wedgie!

Or the Atomic Sit-up...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
<Amy> You can't hug an animal with nuclear arms.<Amy>

She got what was coming to her.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#19]
The nuclear bomb built the town I live in.

It paid my father's salary while I was growing up (and it still does)

It might even pay my salary in the near future.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#20]
A Navy that can sail anywhere in the world within days without having to refuel, and blast the place to hell once they get there, and at their leisure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#21]
you know, i had an uncle who worked on the bomb, an uncle who died flying over the english channel, and another uncle who invaded guadalcanal. then my mother is japanese and my grandfather was an industrialist partially responsible for the building of the japanese war machine...talk about mixed feelings!!! not really. the bomb saved my mom's life cuz the u.s. would have had to kill every man, woman, and child if they'd invaded japan.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Movie lines like:

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#23]
The cost to us and the Japanese would have been astronomical if we had been forced to invade mainland Japan.

I would also be without my Nuke The Whales bumper sticker.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#24]
we should use them more regularly especially the nuetron enhanced version.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Our nuclear arsenal has provided us with global dominating, peace-enforcing power for 60 years.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I wish our government was a little more appreciative of our atomic test veterans. These guys were undeniably used as experiments to the long term effects of nuclear exposure, yet the gov. puts up too many hoops for them to jump through(waiting for them to die) to obtain a ridiculously small amount of compensation.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
the bomb saved my mom's life cuz the u.s. would have had to kill every man, woman, and child if they'd invaded japan.

Just like we did with the Germans? I'd say you're not thinking things through unless you are of the assumption that all of the Japanese women/children were going to take up arms against the Americans. I heard that many women killed themselves on some of the pacific islands because they were told by the Japanese military/leadership/locals that the invading Americans would kill/rape them though. As if that happened.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wish our government was a little more appreciative of our atomic test veterans. These guys were undeniably used as experiments to the long term effects of nuclear exposure, yet the gov. puts up too many hoops for them to jump through(waiting for them to die) to obtain a ridiculously small amount of compensation.

No SHIT!!! I met one,he also drove for the same company I drove for. He said he was one of the last ones still alive.(he was in the USN in the late 40's,he remembered washing the contaminated ships). BTW,Mazda Miata is made in Hiroshima,I have a 92,damned thing can't be killed(good thing too,cheap on gas).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#29]
LOTS of fried rice

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top