Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:51:18 PM EDT
Was wondering what the golfers here usually shoot when they make it out to the course.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have the right pants to play golf.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard it was some outrageous number of people who shoot over 100, like 95+%.

I certainly don't see that with my friends, but who knows.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
i think last time i went golfing with my roommate, he shot around 100 on the front 9
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was playing 2-3 times a week, I was in the low 80's.  Took me about a year to get to that point.

Now I shoot 90-95.  Play about 3-4 times a year.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The best I ever played, I was shooting in the mid 80s.  That run lasted a few weeks (thankfully it included a trip to Monterey where I got to play some pretty nice courses compared to what's available locally).  It seems like I'll get out and golf every week for a month at a time, then go on a 2 month break, then come back and play so poorly I don't want to take score
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I just drive the little car and drink beer, occasionally stopping to hit the ball into the adjoining houses.

I wasn't aware you were supposed to keep score, except for houses hit.

I average 3 or 4 per round of drinking, er....golf.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was playing weekly mid 70's, now mid 80's. Got a company tournament coming up in 10 days, one of the yearly things thats always good to play well in, but I haven't been playing at all this year. I'm supposed to be one of the "ringers", looks like I may let some people down this year unless I can get some range time in soon......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#9]
"The other day I broke 70.  That's a lot of clubs."
- Henny Youngman
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Was wondering what the golfers here usually shoot when they make it out to the course.

I shoot at the beer cart girl if she doesn't "re-supply" quick enough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats for 9 holes right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
i have only played around 6-7 times
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:17:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I would probably play 5 over consistently except then I have to putt..........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
"The other day I broke 70.  That's a lot of clubs."
- Henny Youngman

heheh, aw you kill me!....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
It really depends on the course. Set me out on a par 69, 104 slope and I can go low. Send me to a par 72, 135 slope track and I'll get chewed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually between 74 and 78.  My handicap is a 4.2 right now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
The best two balls I ever hit, were when I stepped on a bunker rake.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
If I want to go outside and drink beer I'll set a cooler down by the lawn chair.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Lately, I've been shooting somewhere
around 80 on my home course. I shot
a 78 on Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I play 3-4 times a year.  If I break 100, I had fun, but was probably more sober than I would have liked.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I shoot right around 100, but I actually count every shot and I only get out 1 or 2 times a year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't play much anymore, but playing by the strictest rules I would shoot 88-90.

No mulligans.  No "foot wedges".  No lift and place.  Correct penalties for a lost ball.  Correct penalties for OB.  No gimmes.

I played with other guys who routinely put 85's on their scorecards, but when I counted strokes, BY THE RULES, they were in the 100's.

When I play now I shoot around 101-105...I just can't seem to keep my drives in the course now.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I heard it was some outrageous number of people who shoot over 100, like 95+%.

I had heard that as well, and found it hard believe.  I figured arfcom would be a good general reprsentation of the avg. golfer.

I make it out to the course about once every 2 weeks.  My last 3 rounds have been 82, 82, 86.  I shot my best round ever about a month ago, a 79.  I play with penalties, no mulligans, no gimmees.  I do however "lift and place" sometimes, usually to clean the ball.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#24]
bump
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I once shot a 76.

Didn't let that get me down.  Went ahead and played the back 9.

I stink.  I usually shoot in the low 90's.

But I have lots of fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#26]
been to a driving range once.....

you couldn't pay me to play golf  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Playing on the VPI course doesn't count.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Usually around 78 to 80, played by the rules.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I play the ball down. Handicap would be around 8. Despite the fact that I strike the ball better than ever, I rarely have time to play. I miss it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I suck at golf.. but how many golfers can shoot .25 MOA??

Send the golfers to WAR!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't play much anymore, but playing by the strictest rules I would shoot 88-90.

No mulligans.  No "foot wedges".  No lift and place.  Correct penalties for a lost ball.  Correct penalties for OB.  No gimmes.

I played with other guys who routinely put 85's on their scorecards, but when I counted strokes, BY THE RULES, they were in the 100's.

When I play now I shoot around 101-105...I just can't seem to keep my drives in the course now.

Yup that about sums it up.  If I score CORRECTLY, I usually get right around 103.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I play on what is left of the "Old" Tech course I will shoot 68, when The River Course at Virginia Tech reopens, I will probaly struggle to break 80.  From the back tees it will be 7,800 yards long.

Right now I play most of my golf at Great Oaks in Floyd, Draper Valley in Pulaski and Greene Hills in Stanardsville.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I play on what is left of the "Old" Tech course I will shoot 68, when The River Course at Virginia Tech reopens, I will probaly struggle to break 80.  From the back tees it will be 7,800 yards long.

Right now I play most of my golf at Great Oaks in Floyd, Draper Valley in Pulaski and Greene Hills in Stanardsville.

So they're redoing the VPI course?  The last time I played there (3 years ago or so) I remember talk of using half the course for campus expansion.  I figured with all the money going into that area there would be a new course opening.

Draper is a nice course.  A little windy though.  Two friends and I once went up and played it in early March.  Played 36 on Friday and 18 on Saturday morning.  Friday the temp was around 40 with that usual Wytheville winds.  That was fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they're redoing the VPI course?  The last time I played there (3 years ago or so) I remember talk of using half the course for campus expansion.  I figured with all the money going into that area there would be a new course opening.

Draper is a nice course.  A little windy though.  Two friends and I once went up and played it in early March.  Played 36 on Friday and 18 on Saturday morning.  Friday the temp was around 40 with that usual Wytheville winds.  That was fun.

They are using half of the old course on campus for a hotel and alumni center and they may use the rest within the next 5-10 years.  Two years ago Tech bought the River Course in Fairlawn and renamed it "The River Course at Virginia Tech" and it has since been re designed by Pete Dye.  I is supose to reopen sometime soon (within the next week or so).  It has been closed since Labor Day of '04.  It was a nice course before being resigned.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Any word on what green fees will be?  I'm sure they will have quite an increase over what the old course cost.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Any word on what green fees will be?  I'm sure they will have quite an increase over what the old course cost.  

From what I remember from the last time I played it was $45/round, I have heard a variety of things from $50 all the way to $80 so I don't know what to believe, but I do know, what ever the price, it will be hard to get a tee time for a while.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I would guess it will be more like $80 with Dye involved.

That's a shame.  I just love how they price everyone off the course so the bigwigs can have the place to themselves.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That's a shame.  I just love how they price everyone off the course so the bigwigs can have the place to themselves.

I know........going to be a good course that noone can afford to play, unless you are a Tech student.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been, in the past, a mid-to-high 70's guy.  That was when I was playing weekly or better.

I degraded into a low to mid 80's guy when I started playing a little less, say twice a month.

I played about a month ago for the first time in a few years, and managed a 97.  I think I could be in the high 80's on a second round, as I didn't go to the range beforehand and it took me a while to work things out.

I was downright pleased with it, I expected to be alot worse after that kind of layoff...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know........going to be a good course that noone can afford to play, unless you are a Tech student.

At least they're giving students discounts.  But then probably more than making up for it in student activity fees.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least they're giving students discounts.  But then probably more than making up for it in student activity fees.

Have you ever played "Ole Mill" aka Groundhog mountian near Hillsville?  That is a real nice course, one of the best in the area, IMHO.  I played there last Thursday, shot 79 with 4 three putts.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Only courses in VA I've played past Abingdon are the VPI course, Draper, and some nasty resort course in Staunton.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Only courses in VA I've played past Abingdon are the VPI course, Draper, and some nasty resort course in Staunton.

ahh Gypsy Hill or the one behind the Holiday Inn, Engelside I think......?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Engelside or something like that.  Still have the card around here somewhere.  I was on business in Lexington for a week, only course I could find online for the area.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Engelside or something like that.  Still have the card around here somewhere.  I was on business in Lexington for a week, only course I could find online for the area.

That is a shame, there are a lot more courses in the area, there is one in Buena Vista, and if you drive 25 minutes further to Harrisonburg you could have played Lake View.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Student discounts here are pretty good during the spring, $10 off on weekdays, $6 on weekends.
You can get a semester pass where you just pay cart fees for $325/semester.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Student discounts here are pretty good during the spring, $10 off on weekdays, $6 on weekends.

That was the fee on the campus course before they put a hotel on it.  I doubt that the student fees on The River Course will be below $35
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the fee on the campus course before they put a hotel on it.  I doubt that the student fees on The River Course will be below $35

That was the discount
Students ride for $33 @ The Walker Course  www.clemson.edu/madren/toc/walker/map.htm
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I live in Myrtle Beach and don't play.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I live in Myrtle Beach and don't play.  

I had heard that homosexual golfers were a rarity.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top