Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 7:00:25 PM EDT
What tractor would you recommend for mowing 50 acres of land?
I've been researching and the consensus seems to be between Kubota and John Deere.

What other brands should I be looking at?
I just need something simple/mainly to cut grass and maybe pull some trailers around the property.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
both are good. I would pick the nearest dealer that has good service.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
both are good. I would pick the nearest dealer that has good service.

+1,000

In college I worked on the college farm. We had JD, Kubota and Ford. The JD needed a little maintenance every now and then, the Fords a little more often--but they were a little older and we used them more because of they way they were set up. The kubota just worked. In the 2 years I worked there all we did to the kubota was regular maintenance.   YMMV.

Keep in mind the JD may cost more to keep up cause they are in LOVE with their stuff. We have a JD now and it has survived my 87 year old granddaddy for the last 12 years, so I guess it could withstand anything. I say find the best service department between the two and buy the one you like most from there.

GR

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Want to mow the 50 acres frequently, like a lawn ?  or brush hog a few times a year?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah we use massey ferguson and have for years. They are good too but whoever paints them needs to be publicly flogged cause the last 2 we have bought the paint peeled off of them after a few years. Other than that they are good for us.

GR
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Want to mow the 50 acres frequently, like a lawn ?  or brush hog a few times a year?

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the terms. We just bought some land and are new to the ways of farming/land owning.
We just want to keep the grass/weeds from getting too tall. Right now they're about three feet tall out there. We'll eventually get some cattle too.

If I stick with Kubota, what model should I get. I wish they had a website. I can't find it.
I'm guessing they also sell the attachment that goes on the back of the tractor.

Inform me on what types of maintenance is involved with tractors. I'm a do it yourself person; hard work doesn't bother me. Is it more intensive than a car? Oil change/tranny fluid change now and then doesn't bother me.
Also, what are the different types of options should I be looking for. Auto/standard.
Again, we're new to all this.
Thank you all.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Head on over to TractorByNet, there you will find everything you ever want to know or ask about tractors. Great group of guys!

I own a JD so my suggestions would naturally be biased.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Head on over to TractorByNet, there you will find everything you ever want to know or ask about tractors. Great group of guys!

I own a JD so my suggestions would naturally be biased.

Thanks a lot. I was searching for a forum earlier. I think that's the best one so far.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
First, you woudl be a fool to try and mow 50 acres. Maybe you meant you have a 50 acre farm and just want to do some mowing for paths and such, that's okay. I would just keep the land by your house mowed with a finish mower, and do anythign else with a brush hog. A brush hog rusn off the PTO off the back and it for heavy grass and weeds. Remember you dont have to mow everything to "take care of it" nature will do that for you.

Lastly John Deere is basically a kubuta, it's jsut green. All small tractors are foreign made these days. I wouldnt pay extra for a green paint job, and a different shaped plastic hood IMO.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
My family has had Ford, Massey Ferguson, and John Deere. All are good. I would go with a Deere though for your purposes. I will say though you should buy something that has a nearby service center as well, you don't want to be trailering the thing hundreds of miles. These things are diesels, the engines are bulletproof, the less electronics the better (our massey was an electronic nightmare). If you are talking about pastures look it getting your Burn certification as well, we burn off 200 acres at least once a year, Florida forestry has a program not sure about TX though. We set the pastures, watch the breaks, have a beer, then run around and watch for jumps, it's good for the land as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a pic of a typical brush hog/bush hog..

http://www.sweettractors.com/newpics/11402/used_equip_3/blue6ftbushhog.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, that's what we need too. Thanks, and I found the kubota website.
I was typing in Roach Kubota on searches and couldn't find it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top