Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 4:38:52 PM EDT
I think that's what it's called. My cousin has on in his pool. No chlorine, no chemicals.
It's basically a swimming pool a saline solution.
A lot less harsh on your eyes if you open them underwater.
If you happen to get a mouthful of the water it doesn't really taste nasty.
When you're done swimming you don't smell or feel like you just took a bath in bleach.
It doesn't discolor your clothes either.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
how well does it handle pee

I assume as well as a lake, an ocean, or other pools. When the filter's on it's pulling water from the pool, filtering it and putting it back in the pool... eventually the pee will get "cleaned" out. I suppose. I don't know jack about pools.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard of it.  'Saline' is about 0.9% salt solution and sea-water is 3.5%.  What is the level in the pool?  0.9%-3.5% salinity will not prevent bacteria or algea from growing.  How do they disinfect the water?  Ozonator?  They would have to use something.  Does it filter out the bad boys?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how well does it handle pee

I assume as well as a lake, an ocean, or other pools. When the filter's on it's pulling water from the pool, filtering it and putting it back in the pool... eventually the pee will get "cleaned" out. I suppose. I don't know jack about pools.

Does the filter actually remove nitrates (pee)? Or do they get 'neutralized'?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah we have one, it's pretty amazing really.

No chlorine odor, much easier on your skin and hair, doesn't sting your eyes at all. I never really wanted a pool but this makes it much easier to live with.
Our system came with the house (installed by a neighbour with a pool service company) and is about 3 years old. So far no real maintenance to the system

The system was made by a company called Autopilot systems and seems to work quite well. It's on a timer and comes on for 5-6 hours each day when the pump is running, all you add is salt to the water (no chlorine or other chemicals as this can trash the electrolytic cell).

It also works on the spa/hot tub so no need to come out of it smelling like chlorine either. In actual fact the system does generate a small amount of chlorine for a constant low level of sanitizing but nothing like a typical chemical only system.

If you get one you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Putting in a pool in mid September, and I opted to upgrade to the salt generator.  I've heard good things from everybody who has them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was getting estimates on inground pool installs, all four companies highly recommended the salt filter systems. Supposed to be alot more efficient and less hassle for maintanence. It only added about $1000.00 to the pool package.

Salt Water filters

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to have a pool that used an ionizer which required that you put rock salt in the pool to increase the dissolved solids, or something like that. I wouldn't think just salt water would sanitize the pool.

Anyhoo, it worked very well. It put copper ions in the pool and you had to test for copper using the test kit that came with it. It had an electric anode (or cathode) to put the copper in the water. When it wore out I later got one that put the ions in by diffusion and it did not work well at all.

We still had to shock the pool but did not have much of a residual clorine content, it was much easier on the skin and eyes. I'll bet that' what your friend has in his pool.

Boy that was a money pit. Getting a pool was one of my more boneheaded ideas. It was fun the first year or so then it seemed like we were slaves to the pool, we lived to serve the pool.

I like other peoples pools better!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Boy that was a money pit. Getting a pool was one of my more boneheaded ideas. It was fun the first year or so then it seemed like we were slaves to the pool, we lived to serve the pool.

I like other peoples pools better!

Interesting POV. I'd love to have a pool.  A really small inground pool. Big enough for y family. Deep enough to get up to my waist or a little high at the end. Just something to cool off in, float "around" in, or jump into after mowing the lawn.

Probably the last thing we'll ever get though. There's a lot more "important" things we could spend out money on, like an addition on the house or paying off a car.

ETA: From my cousin:

We've got a salt water system on our pool. Makes for very easy maintenance, crystal clear water, no chlorine hair, burning eyes, or Cl burned lungs. Much better than conventional chlorine systems. Check out Watermaid/usa.com (or do a search). I also recommend Hayward cartridge filtration system and pumps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top