Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 4:20:31 PM EDT
I've decided to try some Sensodyne toothpaste since I've always been a bit sensitive to cold drinks and food. Says it has 5% potassium nitrate.
I know one thing, it makes the toothpaste taste like shit. worst I've ever tasted, even worse than some of the odd flavors the dentist sometimes offers
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
We used to buy potassium nitrate at the drug store and make our own black powder.

Can't think of another use for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
A 'mad scientist' HS buddy use to make smoke bombs with potassium nitrate & sugar.  

The reason it tastes like shit?  The most common source IIRC is bat & bird guano.......
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It's an oxidizer.  Makes things burn better, also formerly known as "saltpeter"  supposedly given to the armed forces to reduce the sex drive (rumor), AND  is a diuretic, makes you pee.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
This sodium nitrate is also used as preservative in meats. The balona, salemis etc are loaded with this stuff. I used Sensodyne, it's pretty good stuff, once you stop using it the senistivity of the teeth will come back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Crest with sensitivity protection.  It has the same active ingredent and the same amount for 1/2 the price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Potassium nitrate can also be used to hot blue guns...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A 'mad scientist' HS buddy use to make smoke bombs with potassium nitrate & sugar.

And that my friend is also a formula for solid rocket fuel.

WWW.NAKKA-ROCKETRY.NET

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This sodium nitrate is also used as preservative in meats. The balona, salemis etc are loaded with this stuff. I used Sensodyne, it's pretty good stuff, once you stop using it the senistivity of the teeth will come back.

I believe that's sodium nitrite rather than "-ate"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've decided to try some Sensodyne toothpaste since I've always been a bit sensitive to cold drinks and food. Says it has 5% potassium nitrate.
I know one thing, it makes the toothpaste taste like shit. worst I've ever tasted, even worse than some of the odd flavors the dentist sometimes offers

Whatever the effect, 5% of the dab of something you spit back out shouldn't be too dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Oxidizer is correct.
A large proportion of explosives are nitrates (-NO3) of some form.
TNT, nitroglycerin, C-4, etc are all nitrates. When they react, a great deal of energy is released by the change in bond energies of the relevant molecules. The transition from a solid to a gas ---H2O, CO2, N2---causes a rapid change from a small amount of solid to a large amount of gas. The force or speed with which this occurs is known as brissance.

Gunpowder is actually a mixture which reacts together rather than an individual molecule. It reacts much more slowly than something like C-4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top