Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 2:48:19 PM EDT
How much does it cost to change a clutch in a 1999 subaru legacy 2.2l? Damn San Francisco hills are murder on a clutch. I hate this place, but the women are soooooooooooooo.....

a.)hot
b.)easy
c.)generous
d.)all of the above

Anyway, how poor will I be after I get my new clutch?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
At the dealership I work at it will take the better techs about 3 hours to replace a subaru clutch.  Don't know what the parts cost as I just fix 'em. Call around for pricing on the parts and labor. Alldata and Chilton's book time is something like 5- 6 hours so you would probably get quoted that much time X the hourly rate of the shop.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
When I am trying to figure out how much it will cost me to fix my own vehicle
the first thing I do is call the dealer and check the parts prices
then when I am shopping around, if the non-factory prices are NOT much better
I go buy factory parts(or if the dealer fixes it you will probably pay those prices)

clutch...........

clutch disk
pressure plate
throwout bearing
pilot bushing

resurface or replace flywheel(whichever is needed)
replace slave cylinder if needed(not usually)

Add the labor charge\cost\hours for the tranny R&R and the clutch pressure plate and disk install
+whatever you do to the flywheel(replace or resurface)and bleed, or replace AND bleed slave cylinder
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Try www.nasioc.com it's down right now for site maintainance but will be back up this evening.  They've got a Legacy forum that may be of some help.

~Dg84
ETA: It's not down... I just tried it and it's back up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just changed the clutch on my Nissan truck. Dealer quoted $1200, local guy did it for $675.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top