Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 2:43:19 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy and learn how to shoot a bow, but I really only want to buy one.

I'm familiar with Bear and Browning, but I know next to nothing about this, so advice is appreciated.

Intended use will be to hunt (deer, mostly, but I'll hunt humans if I have to), and for target practice.

What recommendations can you make on brands, accessories, and arrows/arrowheads?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Survival Forum, so I'll leave it up to the mods if they desire to move it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Compound, recurve or longbow?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Matthews solo cam, Good stuff

http://www.mathewsinc.com/
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Compound.

What's a recurve?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
High Country have always been good bows. I use a Line XI Flatliner that I've had for about 10 yrs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

Uhh... It has arms that curve, and then curve again, making for a longer draw for a shorter bow.

I've had two Hoyt bows and I loved them, I shot a AR bow (Archery Research) which is a Browning company, and I'm going to buy one when my next bow purchase comes around.

Go with carbon fiber or graphite arrows, not aluminum. the non-aluminum arrows are faster, flatter, and less prone to breaking, denting and bending.

I use Muzzy broadheads for hunting, I don't like all those spring loaded fancy heads. I don't use a bow so I can hunt with a longer season, I use a bow because it's challenging, and shooting deer with my guns just became too easy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to a pro shop and talk to the guys there and then shoot the bows they have.  Dont fall into the "my bow is best because of the name" trap.  There are some really good bow makers out there, Mathews, Bowtech, and Hoyt are generally the more popular bows but that does not make the the best bows.  One guy can shoot a Mathews and love it, the next guy might prefer a Hoyt or Bowtech or PSE ect, ect.  Do not order bows over the internet unless you know what you are doing as there are a great many factors in getting your bow to shoot correctly and accurately.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

img280.imageshack.us/img280/6113/recurvedbow1lf.jpg

The belly is often called the face. I wonder how old the image that that was used for is.

ETA: SPM681 is absolutely right, never order a bow over the internet unless you're an expert, you need to go to a pro shop and have your draw length fitted and try different draw weights. Bows, especially compounds, are extremely user specific, it's rare when two people can easily shoot the same compound.

An important thing to look at is let-off when looking at a compound bow. Look for something with decent cams and over 80% let-off, the higher the better.

What let-off does is it allows you to draw a, lets say 100 pound pull bow back to its draw length, and something with 95% let off will let you hold the arrow back using only 5 pounds of pull.

Thats the simple version at least.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

A bow without training wheels.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Make your own. Its fun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

That is good!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

Hahaha!  Good one!  

I'd like to get a bow sometime, but I'm more of a classicist.  I want a straight limb longbow.  Screw all that newfangled wheel pully plastic crap.  Do it the MAN way, the way MEN did it for thousands of years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Compound.

What's a recurve?

Hahaha!  Good one!  

I'd like to get a bow sometime, but I'm more of a classicist.  I want a straight limb longbow.  Screw all that newfangled wheel pully plastic crap.  Do it the MAN way, the way MEN did it for thousands of years.

Big +1 to that.  I like my recurve and my longbow and I'd like to get a recurve crossbow now that they're legal to hunt with here in Tennessee but I don't want no stinkin' wheels and pullies on my bows. Makes it too hard to change bow strings on em'.    If you'd like a "modern" recurve bow check into the PSE Coyote, it has an aluminum riser and fiberglass limbs and is a take down bow so it'll pack easy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
PSE makes great stuff, and I get to go to their pro shop and factory any time I please
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Zaphod,

Planning on taking one to Mexico, and going Comanche on those Zeta's?  Just asking....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go to a pro shop and talk to the guys there and then shoot the bows they have.  Dont fall into the "my bow is best because of the name" trap.  There are some really good bow makers out there, Mathews, Bowtech, and Hoyt are generally the more popular bows but that does not make the the best bows.  One guy can shoot a Mathews and love it, the next guy might prefer a Hoyt or Bowtech or PSE ect, ect.  Do not order bows over the internet unless you know what you are doing as there are a great many factors in getting your bow to shoot correctly and accurately.

Read this carefully....this is the perfect advice. (especially the red)

As a former owner of an archery shop, and a bowhunter of over 20 years, this is the only way to get started.

By the way....check out the [cough]HOYT's[/cough]

All bow companies top of the line bows are VERY high quality.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I've owned two Martin compound bows and have not been disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Zaphod,

Planning on taking one to Mexico, and going Comanche on those Zeta's?  Just asking....

Quien? Yo?

Nunca, senor!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Bear and Browning are meant to be low-quality cheap hunting bows. They lack precision and the limbs' flexibility vary depending on several factors like temperature, humidity, etc.

Recurve bows are the equivalent to muskets compared to compund bows. They're more of a "traditional" feel bow.

Top brands I recommend are Matthews and Martin. These are excellent bows that can be used for target as well. I recommend you do plenty of target practice with them to build some skill. They're is a lot more to bow shooting than there are to rifle shooting. Different sighting systems, mechanisms, etc. Very different skill.

Using a bow is rewarding though. Find a grain of arrowhead and stick with it.

You have to find your correct draw length and corresponding arrow. You have to decide aluminum shaft or carbon shaft.

Remember a bow is not a rifle it has to "fit you" based on your strength and arm length. Go to a bow shop owner that knows his stuff and he has to set one up properly for you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Any of the major brands are fine (Mathews, Bear, High Country, Buckmasters, etc), just find one that fits you.  I currently own a Bear, High Country, and Buckmasters, and they are all excellent bows.  Carbon arrows are the best value, considering their durability compared to aluminum arrows.  

Like I said, find a bow that fits you, and don't get hung up on arrow speeds!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to shoot PSE bows made in Tucson until the quality went to crap. I never had a problem but 3 of my hunting friends had all sorts of crap happen that was just plain defective. 2 had warrenty issues and had to fight to get their 4 month old bows fixed. No more for me.

I bought and love a Martin Cougar Magnum. EAsy to shoot & maintain. The little things that failed on the PSE do not exsist on a this Martin. My Son shoots a Jennings. Loves it. You can get the exact bow in a Bear for 1/3 the price. Another friend just got his first bow. He bought a Parker Hunter Combo. I set it up and the first 3 shots he made went into a 4" group @30 yards. And those where the first 3 arrows he ever shot from any bow. Heck, I liked it so much, I may get one myself!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zaphod,

Quien? Yo?

Nunca, senor!

Son buenas armas. No hacen ningun sonido.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top