Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:39 PM EDT
Bought a nice 3yo used GMC Crew cab 4x4, low (30k) miles, seemed pretty good. Bought it from a GM/Chrysler dealer.
After we got it home, and I was looking it over (LIKE I SHOULD HAVE DONE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT) I noticed some things and the more I look, the more I realize it's been front end wrecked and repaired. First clue was a paint run in a place that doesn't show well. Then I noticed 2 fender bolts behind the door hinges are loose. It appears that the hood, fenders, bumper, and related items have been replaced, and the paint has a mismatch at the doors.

CarFax showed a clean history, no wrecks, no airbag deployment.

I did talk to the dealer about it. The sales manager says we're stuck with the contract, but to bring it in and they'll do a complete inspection, and do whatever it takes to make us satisfied with the truck.

I know I'm at fault for not looking it over well enough.

UPDATE:
I want to add a detail that I neglected to provide in my original post. We had been to this dealer a couple of weeks ago, and looked at another truck. It was more than our budget would allow, and they offered to find a truck for us. When they called us on Friday, they had just taken delivery of this truck a few minutes before they called. They did not take the time to inspect it, and weren't concerned as they had purchased it from a known supplier. It was exactly what we were looking for, and within our budget.
Happy ending!
The sales rep came to our home (an hour away from the dealer). Picked up the truck and took it back for inspection. I provided him with a detailed list of the concerns I had with the truck.
He called me about 5 hours later, apologized for the condition of the truck. Said had they inspected it, it would have never been sold to us. They have already concelled the sales contract, and are returning it to the supplier that furnished the truck to them. The sales rep assured us that selling a vehicle without a thorough inspection in house would NEVER happen again. He asked for an opportunity to find us another truck.
Hell yes!
Kudos to Ray Amsbaugh, Phalen Motors, Atchison, KS, and yes, I surely will buy from them again.
Pete
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
When did you buy it?

Any cooling off period to back out of large ticket items in KS?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't Carfax have some type of guarantee?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Doesn't Carfax have some type of guarantee?

so they say, it's worth a look
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I did talk to the dealer about it. The sales manager says we're stuck with the contract, but to bring it in and they'll do a complete inspection, and do whatever it takes to make us satisfied with the truck

Ask him if he'll still feel the same way after you contact the attorney general. If he says yes, contact the attorney general. Make sure he knows that if he wants to play games, a refund is going to be the least of his problems.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
How are the disclosure and lemon laws in Kansas?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought it Friday evening, took it back Saturday before noon. Less than 24 hours
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a very common practice here in Kentucky and most people don't find out until after the fact.  There are at least 3 huge car dealers around the Lexington area that sell cars at a great price, claim they got them from"auction", and that they are in great shape.  Carfax may or maynot show the wreck.  The dealers either buy the wrecked but not totaled cars and fix them up or they buy them "at auction" after someone else fixed them.  The bottom line is they know full well that the car has been wrecked and "fixed" but they try to sell them as gently used, like new vehicles.  I'm not sure what if anything can be done about these types of dealers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Kansas has a 3-day right to cancel, but it must meet this criteria:

The sale must involve the sale, rental, or lease of property or services (not including residential real estate)

The cost of the property or services must exceed $25.00

Both the sales pitch and the actual transaction must occur at a place other than the company’s place of business

Sooo, since the deal was done at the dealer's place of business, that's not an option.

I'll be calling the AG's office in the morning, to see if they have any suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bought it Friday evening, took it back Saturday before noon. Less than 24 hours

Do some homework on everything everyone mentioned about legal options.  In Texas, I believe you have 72 hours to back out, but the dealer does give notice of this.

Having worked at dealerships before (in service) and if there are no legal options, then my only suggestions are: 1) have them inspect it on a lift (with you there to observe) to check for frame damage or other damage to the driveline - if you like the truck and there are no other issues, then have them repair any paint/fender/fitment issues to your satisfaction.  You don't know what they'll do until you give them a chance. 2) they can't have had time to run the paperwork yet, so technically the truck is not registered to you yet (in the eyes of the state), so can a deal be made on another truck? or new truck? and back you out of this one.

Be firm about what you would like to do, but be nice about it - being a factory dealership means they should be more professional, but not always.

Time is not on your side here, though.  Find out what you can about the laws and drive down there and check their inventory for alternatives.  Have all your ducks in a row as to your options and wants and head over Monday a.m. ready to negotiate - remember, it will be a negotiation as you signed the papers and bought the truck (barring legal recourse).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did talk to the dealer about it. The sales manager says we're stuck with the contract, but to bring it in and they'll do a complete inspection, and do whatever it takes to make us satisfied with the truck

Ask him if he'll still feel the same way after you contact the attorney general. If he says yes, contact the attorney general. Make sure he knows that if he wants to play games, a refund is going to be the least of his problems.  

Heck, you don't need the Attorney General.  He needs an attorney private!

A call to the corporate line might also help.  Out of curiosity, what dealership is it?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Atchison
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top