Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 12:44:44 PM EDT
I'm going to Costa Rica in November to a good friends wedding at a resort in Tabacon, Costa Rica.

Anything out of the ordinary I should know about travel to Costa Rica specifically?

State Dept seems to have little info, so I'm assuming not a lot goes wrong for tourists there.....

Other than the usual outside the US precautions, anyone have Costa Rica specific things
to know?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but I hear it was Natalie Holloway's next destination.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No, but I hear it was Natalie Holloway's next destination.  

As long as Geraldo isn't there.  If I see Geraldo I'm going home.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to be non-extradition country.  Beware, I heard a couple of islands nearby had some dinosaurs on them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
3 years ago I went to Nicoya in Costa Rica.  It is beautiful country and impoverished (except for beach/waterfront).  There is a drug problem in San Juan, the capital.  There is a lot of petty theft that goes on but little violent crime.  Costa Rica isn't a terrorists playground so it is considered relatively safe to travel there.  You will notice fencing, barbed wire and razor wire around anything and everything worth something.

Enjoy your trip !!!

Lawdog
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard it is a stunningly beautiful country, and have even heard it's gret to retire to.

The second part made me , but there it is....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
3 years ago I went to Nicoya in Costa Rica.  It is beautiful country and impoverished (except for beach/waterfront).  There is a drug problem in San Juan, the capital.  There is a lot of petty theft that goes on but little violent crime.  Costa Rica isn't a terrorists playground so it is considered relatively safe to travel there.  You will notice fencing, barbed wire and razor wire around anything and everything worth something.

Enjoy your trip !!!

Lawdog

Yeah We had a crackhead steal a bunch of stuff out of our room( while we were there sleeping mind you ). Then they found him the next day trying to sell it all. They arrested him but they let him go.  Kept in touch with the people that ran the place. I guess he tried to loot a house in the next town over, I guess he pulled the same stunt and got caught. The owner shot and killed him. I was kinda happy to hear that, after all he stole all our cheese pringles
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Went down in 98. Had a good time, and its a beautiful country. Make sure you know how to count their money, you can get ripped off. Also be aware that the nat'l police force is very low paid and rely on bribery to make a living.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Be careful, and don't draw attention to yourself.  My Mother was mugged at gunpoint in her hotel room, only criminals and corrupt officials are allowed to have guns there.  Watch out for kidnapping attempts too.  Other than that, it is a beutiful country and great food too.  Be safe and take pics to share with us!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
a good friend of mine went there for his honeymoon and is still there,please go to this link!      http://wymtnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=3667949
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
It is OK, as with any centrel and south American country, be very carefull.

After my last trip in 1998 to Mexico, I said no more to any country south of Texas.

I have been to Mexico, Costa Rica, Beleze. No thanks, had enough.

I did like Beleze, they speak the Queens English and speak it very fast.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
It is much like Mexico, in that you must be carful where you go and do.

I guess in Nov.  it should be nice, but when i went in the summer a few years ago it was a hot, humid jungle. This was on the eastern side in the rain forests. It was cool to see all of the Dole and Del Monte plantations.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
3 years ago I went to Nicoya in Costa Rica.  It is beautiful country and impoverished (except for beach/waterfront).  There is a drug problem in San Juan, the capital.
Lawdog

San Jose is the Capital of Costa Rica. San Juan is in Puerto Rico.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Fun place to visit, lots of things to do.
Lots of beautiful scenery and women.
Traffic in the city is absolute hell. San Jose a large populated city with no street signs and no one respects stop lights or traffic laws. It can be a real adventure if you are on your own. If you are with someone that knows the area it is not too bad getting around.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My friend owns a whore house there. hr

No kidding.  That friend's a keeper.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top