Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 10:08:37 AM EDT
Well, my grandson completed his Hunter Safety course and now we've got to figure out what we're going to use to deer hunt with this season. I thought about an inexpensive Muzzle loader like a CVA Wolf or the like but another option is a Crossbow. That way we could hunt during archery season and take a doe or two at my cousins farm in Pikeville. He's covered up with em' so it be easier to get one then it would a buck.  Also, we can practice with my archery target in the back yard in prep. for the hunt. That'll be easier then trying to sight in a Muzzle loader or slug gun.  I've been looking at the Eagle Crossbows, they're in the right price range(under $100 bucks) and they come in both 150 and 180lb so they'd be strong enough for deer out to 40 yrds. or so.  Does anyone shot/hunt with a crossbow?  What do ya' think about them. Are they pretty decent or would an inexpensive muzzle loader be better to start off with?  Talk to ya'll later.  In Frith.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump this back to the top. I can't believe that NO ONE on ARFCom has a Crossbow. Come on guys. Talk to me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Barnett Quad 300 crossbow.  It's very nice, it shoots straight, but I consider it too heavy for hunting (even if it were legal).  It's just 'big'.  I haven't tried the Eagle crossbows.

Hunting game animals in Oregon is illegal with a crossbow, so I have no experience there.

For Hunting, I prefer a compound bow.

I'm not much help... but "back to top" anyway!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure of TN laws but up here it is illegal for anyone but the handicapped to use a crossbow for hunting.

P.S. Good luck hunting this year and have fun with the youngster
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We just recently got Crossbows on the list of legal bows that we can use.  I have a nice recurve and longbow but never get the time to practice with em' to feel good enough to hunt with either. I would like to bow hunt though and that's where the Crossbow comes into play.  I can get a 180lb Eagle for under $100 bucks, add bolts and broadheads and I'm hunting. No need for an arm guard or finger tab/glove. No need for Blaze Orange for bow season(that saves a bit on clothes.) and we can sight in and practice in the back yard, another plus.  Plus, if he pulls a shot it won't go as far as if it were a rifle or shotgun using a slug so it'd be safer for all involved.  Bolts can be used over and over if you take care of them and there are a butt load of screw in broadheads at the local Wal-Mart that I can choose from for deer hunting.  I'm still going to kick it around a bit. I just wanted some "real world" feed back from ya'll.  Oh well, maybe someone will chime in. In Frith.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
according to VA game and fish website, the changed our handicapped to use a crossbow law, and now require some sort of special permit but allow anyone. In which case I'll probably buy one for the fun of it.

I just have to find out if the permit is even required for use on your own private land.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to do alot of bow hunting up here with my old boss, he shot alot of archery competatively and was very good.  He taught me how to shoot, and always said that if you needed an arm guard you weren't shooting right.  I've got one of those cheap little 80lb crossbows I picked up at the gun show once, that's about the extent of my expirence with them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I mentioned..

And it's a blast to shoot!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't think TN allowed crossbows in the archery season? I thought a crossbow only season for 1 week was voted in by TWRA.
I may be wrong.
BTW, never shot a cross bow. I use a recurve or compound during the archery season.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't help you with the hunting thing as I only have used them at targets.
But I can tell you the instructor I had many years ago preferred compound bows for hunting. And he was very good at it. As I got older, I found why. Accuracy. Which, I suppose depends on your strengths and weaknesses in the realm of the art.

I have a small cross bow and I have used the long bow, compound bow and, of course, my cross bow. I prefer the cross bow for speed and deadly force. But for accuracy, I prefer the long bow or compound bow. Not too bad a shot. Can hit the center bullseye at 500 yards with fair ease, depending on the bow.

You might go to your local archery shop or range. Many people hang out there who hunt, that could be valuable to you for information.

Sorry can't help with the hunting thing, but it will give you another bump to the top.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remembered something to be aware of when using crossbows.

When I worked for a carnival for a summer we had a crossbow game. They operators would always pull the string to one side or the other until the mark had spent enuf to win.

SSSOOO keep an eye on making sure you either use a puller or can make a straight pull each time or it will throw your bolt off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just remembered something to be aware of when using crossbows.

When I worked for a carnival for a summer we had a crossbow game. They operators would always pull the string to one side or the other until the mark had spent enuf to win.

SSSOOO keep an eye on making sure you either use a puller or can make a straight pull each time or it will throw your bolt off.

Yep, I remember reading that on a couple sites that I've checked out. They've got a string deal that you use to help pull the bow string back so it won't get jacked to one side or the other, I'll be using one of those if I get a Crossbow. Still about 50/50 as to weather I'll get a Crossbow or Muzzle loader for him to use on his first hunt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top