Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:51:56 AM EDT
The last drawing I copied was a Dehavilland Mosquito that I got from an old "ghosts" calendar.  It turned out to be a nice little project.

This time I want to go a lot bigger so I got some 55”x72” paper.  It’s going to be BIG.
Same format.  

the subjects i am looking at are...

dash for timber by Frederic Remington

and

Vietnam reflections by Lee Teter.

Right now I am just looking for ideas so if you have another suggestion I would like to hear it.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty spiffy. Stippling works well for many subjects. May I suggest either pumping up the contrast (by adding some dots to darker areas) or next time using subject material that has more contrast in it? The Mosquito is well rendered but it's feint. Perhaps that's just the photo but whenever I'm working on a drawing when I think I'm getting close to done, I squint my eyes and look at it - I should be able to make out the subject from the background easily. If I can't and can only see random shapes, I go back and work on it 'til it looks right. (obviously this doesn't work 100% of the time but it does for works that are "of a subject", like the Mosquito)

Hope you don't mind the critique. It's well done and very close to where it should be IMHO.  

Next you should try scratchboard.  

Edit: Man, you swing for the fences don't you? Both those other prints will be very difficult to copy. Lots of subtlety in both... I'm a Remington fan and I've always loved that Reflections print... Hat's off to you. Post it/them up when you're done, I'd love to see how they come out...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the encouragement.  the final product of these drawings still has to look light.  if you add to much ink they look dark and gloomy.  it's a fine balance and i have ruined more than one subject by over working the piece.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Great stuff man.  Maybe you should create your own masterpiece.  Then become rich and famous :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great stuff man.  Maybe you should create your own masterpiece.  Then become rich and famous :)

i tried that but i am not much of an artist when it come t original works.  i can copy with the best of them and tweak a little and i can photograph and copy my own photographs but when i comes to straight eye balling and putting it down on paper i just don't have the talent.  like hitting a baseball.  if you can't do it you just can't.  besides once you put pen to paper you can't take it back and laying down pencil and filling in with ink looks bad because i never seem to be able to go back and erase all the pencil without damaging the paper or the ink.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
How about something freedom'ish with an AR?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to see a B-24 J liberator...(Nice work, by the way!)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
i think i am going to do a He 111 print to match the Mosquito.

then i will settle on a big print.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice work!

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always thought that steam locomotives (Not that I like 'em much, but anyway) looked great in pen/pencil drawings.

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top