Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 9:39:48 AM EDT
I built up an SAR-2 like the one you were showing on the AssaultWeb.Net Forum just recently installing the threaded front sight base and the AK-74 Muzzle Break.

I had it out shooting over the weekend and now I'm experiencing what I beleive you guys were calling "trigger slap" (ouch that really hurts).
I went over to Assault web to search for the remedy you guys came up with but can't seem to find it.
Any chance you could help me out with this.
What was the cure?
Having put on a US stock set (rear stock, upper & lower handguards) what US parts can I now replace?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What's "trigger slap"? Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's "trigger slap"? Just curious.
View Quote

Trigger recoils back after you depress it. BTW I cross posted on AK47.net Campy hangout there often. I would like to see the answer as well cause my AK has a bad one.

http://ak-47.gunsnet.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15526
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What is trigger slap?
Imagine that every time you pull the trigger someone smashes your finger tip with a hammer.....That's what I'm experiencing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
princeton, trigger slap (or "snap") is caused by the non mil-spec american firecontrol parts...specifically, when the hammer is driven reaward to cock by the recoiling carrier it bypasses the still pulled trigger. at that point it becomes the disconnector's job to "catch" the hammer (to prevent the rifle from firing again untill the trigger is released and the pulled, again).

herein lies the problem. the hammer drives into the disconnector catch/hook, causeing the disconnector to rotate. it is supposed to do this, BUT...the incorrect geometry of the disconnector contacts the trigger and drives it forward with a violent "slap" or "snap" that stings your finger.

the fix is very easy.

first, remove your top cover abd bolt/carrier assembly.

rotate your hammer rearward as if you were cocking it...but keep pushing down untill you can actually see the disconnector (the piece located on the same pivot pin as the trigger) drive the trigger forward.

remove the sharphards crook pin wire that runs inside the left wall of the receiver. note its' installation position/routing for later re-installation. note how it seats in the pivot pin grooves to retain them.

carefully push out the trigger pivot pin. be carefull here! the disconnector (also called the safety sear) has a small spring captured between the trigger and disconnector...don't let it go flying.

hold the disconnector and trigger assembled on the pivot pin outside of the rifle and pretend your finger is the hammer...rotate the disconnector as if the hammer were striking it. see were the "interferance" is? on the uderside of the disconnector on the tapered surface?

this is where you must grind off material from the disconnector to allow it more degrees of rotation without hitting the trigger "trough". a dremel tool works well, as will a bench grinder, to accomplish this job.

remove .015-.020" or so at a time, if anything, increasing the angle (removing more material near the tip than the pivot hole). keep trialing
and reassembling untill the trigger is cleared and test firing shows you have went far enough.

if i have been unclear or you need to see the pictures, put up a post in the romanian forum of ak-47.net and we'll dig up the old posts depicting "the cure".

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I would like to see the pictures so I'll post over there.
Would it help replacing any of the US parts with imported parts? Can I replace any of them and stay legal?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
if you replace ant usa made part with an imported one, you must balance the equation to stay "legal". i.e. you must then replace one imported part with one usa part.

let's say you install that shiney new romanian disconnector, you've had your eye on. in order to keep the imported parts count at the legal "no more than 10", you decide to replace the o.e.m. wooden handguards (both upper and lower guards count only as "one" part...go figure!) with some slick usa copies of the bulgarian ak-74 guards.

after that, you are back to "even" and legally, good to go.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
campybob-I really appreciate the help.
I've already replaced the handguards and stock with US parts but I added the muzzle brake.
So what does that mean in regards to the parts count?
Can I add one import part or two?

Thanks again for all the help, I've been to AK-47Net and found the pictures, I'll try the fix this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
who was that masked man?
campybob is awesome! - the codpieced do-gooder of the electronic range![:D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Princeton, here are some pics of what you need to do.

[img]www.gun-info.com/video/bulletfest/blackrifle/aksear1.jpg[/img]

[img]www.gun-info.com/video/bulletfest/blackrifle/aksear2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2001 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]
akrazy - Thanks, I found these pictures already at AK-47Net and I will try to tackle it sometime in the next few days.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top