BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 6:30:16 PM EDT
More killing on border as 'madness' continues
Nuevo Laredo councilman and city policeman slain in ambush

By DUDLEY ALTHAUS
Aug. 5, 2005 Houston Chronicle
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3298610
MEXICO CITY - Unidentified gunmen shot dead a Nuevo Laredo city councilman and a police commander just blocks from City Hall Friday, continuing a wave of underworld violence gripping the border city this year.

Leopoldo Ramos Treviño, 44, who headed the City Council's public security committee, died in a fusillade of bullets at 9:20 a.m. as he drove his pickup toward City Hall in downtown Nuevo Laredo. Witnesses told police that three teenage gunmen boarded a car and drove off following the assassinations.

Federico Ocampo, a municipal police commander, also was killed, while city patrolman Alfredo Barberena and an unidentified passerby were wounded, police said.

State police investigators recovered more than five dozen spent bullet casings, most from AK-47 automatic rifles, at the scene.

A member of a prominent Nuevo Laredo ranching family, Ramos had joined the City Council in January and was an ally of Mayor Daniel Peña. His death comes nearly two months after the June 8 assassination on another downtown Nuevo Laredo street of Alejandro Dominguez, who had been named the city's police chief hours before he was slain.

"We are losing our city," said Nuevo Laredo merchant Jack Suneson, a vice president of the city's chamber of commerce who has been trying to woo back the U.S. tourists who have evaporated since the violence escalated this year.

"It's hard to put a good face on this when we have ... murders in front of City Hall," Suneson said. "It's madness.

"Everytime something happens we think we've hit bottom," he said. "But we're in a bottomless pit."

With Friday's killings, 109 people have been slain so far this year in Nuevo Laredo, a city of nearly 500,000 people across the Rio Grande from Laredo. All but a handful of the killings have been linked to the narcotics traffickers' turf war for control of the city's smuggling routes into the United States.

Ramos's death came almost simultaneously with U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza's decision to reopen the American Consulate in Nuevo Laredo on Monday.

Garza had ordered the consulate closed following a July 28 shootout between suspected gangsters in a wealthy Nuevo Laredo neighborhood that involved automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades.

In announcing the consulate's reopening, Garza said he was convinced Mexican federal authorities had heeded his call for "decisive action" in combating Nuevo Laredo's gangland violence. He did not elaborate as to what that action might entail.

The ambassador issued another statement Friday afternoon, pointing to Ramos's killing as proof "that the battle against Mexico's drug lords will not be won overnight."

Referring to his meetings with senior Mexican officials this week about the Nuevo Laredo violence, Garza said that "the commitments made and plans announced over the last few days are but a second step in a long road ahead for both our nations."

Ramos's killing "once again highlights the need for Mexico to stand resolute in its effort to rescue Nuevo Laredo from the hands of the kingpins and capos that are actively undermining the fabric of life in both our countries," he said.

A spokesman for President Vicente Fox this week conceded that a seven-week-old show of federal force in Nuevo Laredo and other cities plagued with gangland violence has not had the intended effects.

Fox called for intensifying the crackdown, known as Operation Secure Mexico, and met with top law enforcement officials. But no new strategies have been announced, or apparently launched.

Ramos was a founder of the annual trail ride across the northern Mexican desert in which Fox and border state governors participate. The slain councilman was an "attentive public servant willing to help the needy as if they were his friends," the Nuevo Laredo mayor's office said in a statement.

As the city councilman charged with overseeing public security, Ramos was deeply involved in the workings of the city's troubled municipal police force.

The councilman's brother, a former federal law enforcement official, was in the running this year to become the city's police chief, a Nuevo Laredo merchant who knows the family said.

Many Nuevo Laredo residents, like other Mexicans, blame U.S. consumers of cocaine, methamphetamine, marijuana and other narcotics for their current crisis.

The belief is that if Americans stop buying the drugs, or U.S. officials stop them at the border, underworld gangs won't be scrambling to get the narcotics across the border.

Suneson, the Nuevo Laredo merchant and business leader, called on Fox to intensify the crackdown and for greater cooperation with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration in obtaining and acting on intelligence as to gang leaders' whereabouts.

"They need to come in here and clean this place up," Suneson said. "It's not an impossible task. It just takes political will."
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like just the town to go spend a nice, quiet vacation in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Happened just a few blocks from work while I was driving in. I actually got called from the plant to ask me which route I was taking through town so I could adjust if needed.

Fortunately, I didn't need to.

I want combat pay.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Happened just a few blocks from work while I was driving in. I actually got called from the plant to ask me which route I was taking through town so I could adjust if needed.

I want combat pay.

Can I ask what in the world do you do?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Since they get all the "High tech" wepons here...WE are responsible.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait...You mean theres MEXICANS that want the border closed too?!

So, how long before we see a MMM.
Mexican MinuteMen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
What a shithole.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I want combat pay.

I would look into a reassignment...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Many Nuevo Laredo residents, like other Mexicans, blame U.S. consumers of cocaine, methamphetamine, marijuana and other narcotics for their current crisis.

The belief is that if Americans stop buying the drugs, or U.S. officials stop them at the border, underworld gangs won't be scrambling to get the narcotics across the border.

How very true. We need to completely control/strongly limit all traffic across the borders and crack down on illegals.

Drug abusers fund criminal gangs and violetn groups with their habits.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How very true. We need to completely control/strongly limit all traffic across the borders and crack down on illegals.

We need to eliminate the demand - period.

As long as drugs are illegal, there will always be an inflated market for them - and underworld gangs will always find a way of filling that market.

Drug prohibition works exactly as well as alcohol prohibition or gun prohibition.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The Mexican RPG shootout HAD to be exciting though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea its not the drug dealers fault that are smuggling their shit over the border, it the people that buy the drugs. Makes alot of sense. Fucking wackos
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Can I ask what in the world do you do?

Quality Manager at one of the maquiladoras.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just got here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, which Laredo is in the USofA? Nuevo or just Laredo?

and secondly, why are they blaming US consumers of drugs (which I think should be shot as a distinct danger to society in general) instead of the fucksticks shooting each other over smuggling them?

As near as I can tell, they are not even killing each other over the drugs or money, but the routes used to smuggle them into the USofA.......

I think the USofA needs to start bulldozing homes of smugglers, terrorists, and liberals
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got here.

If they'll pay... I'll ride shotgun for ya
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Laredo, Texas is located across the border from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If they'll pay... I'll ride shotgun for ya

Shit. I'm trying to see if they'll either pay me some serious scratch, cover some personal expenses, and/or help me get a Mexico weapons permit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that pretty much the SAME thing?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think the USofA needs to start bulldozing homes of smugglers, terrorists, and liberals

Yeah, with them still inside
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, no. One is the United States, the other is Mexico. There's this thing called the Rio Grande between them.

Believe me, Laredo isn't nearly as bad as Nuevo Laredo is.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, no. One is the United States, the other is Mexico. There's this thing called the Rio Grande between them.

Believe me, Laredo isn't nearly as bad as Nuevo Laredo is.

I knew that Zaphod, my comment was about the living conditions there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
But I thought all the illegal aliens where honest hard working people.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
But I thought all the illegal aliens where honest hard working people.

A lot of them are drug runners and slavers, but they take their jobs seriously
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Its MEXICO. What else do you expect?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Fox News just had a live report from there
they had what looked like a couple of vehicle ambushes, with multiple fatalaties
the LEOs had a jeep with what looked like a 50cal mounted above the windshield
it looked more like Bagdad than five miles off the TX border
the reporters said the Civilians were pissed that the .gov was not protecting them at all

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Drugs are so cool. Drugs are killing corrupt Mexicans and addicted Americans.  It's a win-win situation!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yeah, they had the same belief about alcohol during alcohol prohibition. How did that work out?

Ever read the history of alcohol prohibition? Exact same stuff.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Drugs are so cool. Drugs are killing corrupt Mexicans and addicted Americans.  It's a win-win situation!

So how many people are killed by drugs in a typical year? Got any clue?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted: So how many people are killed by drugs in a typical year? Got any clue?
 I don't care as long as the many doesn't include me, my family, and my friends. If some American wants to ruin himself with drugs, I won't care.  More room for the rest of us!  If some Mexican gets blown away because of drug dealers, I won't care either.  One less potential illegal alien.

I'm rooting for all the drug gangs in Mexico.  I won't mind if they shoot each other to death!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted: So how many people are killed by drugs in a typical year? Got any clue?
 I don't care as long as the many doesn't include me, my family, and my friends. If some American wants to ruin himself with drugs, I won't care.  More room for the rest of us!  If some Mexican gets blown away because of drug dealers, I won't care either.  One less potential illegal alien.

I'm rooting for all the drug gangs in Mexico.  I won't mind if they shoot each other to death!

Generate enough crime this way and sooner or later it will affect someone you know. Same as with the widespread crime during alcohol prohibition. Not all the people who got shot were gangsters.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Generate enough crime this way and sooner or later it will affect someone you know. Same as with the widespread crime during alcohol prohibition. Not all the people who got shot were gangsters.
 I'm sure it will affect someone I know, but it'll probably be someone who is a druggie or hangs near druggies.  I've evicted at least two families by calling in the cops.  Drugs are great, it helps me get rid of ghetto neighbors.

Ever see those drug addicts cleaning windshields at the street corner?  They clean my glass and then I just look at them while they stand in the heat waiting for a handout that never comes.  Drugs are great, keeps the competition down w/o any effort from the average Joe!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm sure it will affect someone I know, but it'll probably be someone who is a druggie or hangs near druggies.  I've evicted at least two families by calling in the cops.  Drugs are great, it helps me get rid of ghetto neighbors.

Ever see those drug addicts cleaning windshields at the street corner?  They clean my glass and then I just look at them while they stand in the heat waiting for a handout that never comes.  Drugs are great, keeps the competition down w/o any effort from the average Joe!

Drug users are not known for having good aim when it comes to firearms
many innocent people have been shot by morons on drugs shooting guns..........
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Drug users are not known for having good aim when it comes to firearms many innocent people have been shot by morons on drugs shooting guns..........
Shoot back at 'em just like any other criminal! I'd rather shoot at a druggie who can't aim rather than a perp with full control of his body movements. That's another good thing about drugs, it puts the drug user at a physical and mental disadvantage to those who do not use drugs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Drug users are not known for having good aim when it comes to firearms many innocent people have been shot by morons on drugs shooting guns..........
Shoot back at 'em just like any other criminal! I'd rather shoot at a druggie who can't aim rather than a perp with full control of his body movements. That's another good thing about drugs, it puts the drug user at a physical and mental disadvantage to those who do not use drugs.

Well, I was referring to your family being accidentally shot by someone aiming at your neighbors
I don't doubt that almost any Arfcommer can outshoot almost any drug addict
(although, some posters seem to fit in both categories)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Well, I was referring to your family being accidentally shot by someone aiming at your neighbors I don't doubt that almost any Arfcommer can outshoot almost any drug addict

That's why I called the cops on them and they aren't my neighbors anymore.  Problem solved.  Apparently, having drugs gets you evicted from the area.

Worrying about drugs affecting your life is like worrying about terrorism.  It's pointless to worry.  Just call the cops when you see something, otherwise take action yourself.  In meantime, be happy that the vast majority of the time druggies and terrorists kill each other and hurt the people you don't like anyway.

When's the last time some drug-crazed addict shot at your neighbor's house and hit your place instead?  Maybe never?  Maybe you heard that happened to the 3rd cousin, of your co-worker's aunt, who lives in another state?...

Can't figure out who to fire/hire?  Run a drug test.  Can't figure out who not to date/marry?  Run a drug test.  Can't figure out who to not/do business with?  Run a drug test.  If someone is willing to take drugs that cause harm to their own body, then what do you think they are doing to your job, relationship, or to you personally?  Drugs, helping people solve day to day problems.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well, I was referring to your family being accidentally shot by someone aiming at your neighbors I don't doubt that almost any Arfcommer can outshoot almost any drug addict

That's why I called the cops on them and they aren't my neighbors anymore.  Problem solved.  Apparently, having drugs gets you evicted from the area.

Worrying about drugs affecting your life is like worrying about terrorism.  It's pointless to worry.  Just call the cops when you see something, otherwise take action yourself.  In meantime, be happy that the vast majority of the time druggies and terrorists kill each other and hurt the people you don't like anyway.

When's the last time some drug-crazed addict shot at your neighbor's house and hit your place instead?  Maybe never?  Maybe you heard that happened to the 3rd cousin, of your co-worker's aunt, who lives in another state?...

Can't figure out who to fire/hire?  Run a drug test.  Can't figure out who not to date/marry?  Run a drug test.  Can't figure out who to not/do business with?  Run a drug test.  If someone is willing to take drugs that cause harm to their own body, then what do you think they are doing to your job, relationship, or to you personally?  Drugs, helping people solve day to day problems.

You don't live in Houston, do you?
anyway, glad you have it all figured out, thanks for the suggestions
although, I don't think those drug tests will show positive for alcoholics.........
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:27:37 AM EDT
[#37]

anyway, glad you have it all figured out, thanks for the suggestions although, I don't think those drug tests will show positive for alcoholics.........
I'm glad to help, it's easy to figure those things out.  It's always good to see the bright side of things.  I don't think so, either.  That's why they call them drug tests instead of breathalyzers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Uh........yeah
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted: Uh........yeah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top